Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 focus 1.0 ecoboost

Notharrisonford

Hi 

I have a Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2012 and have decided to get the timing belt changed. I thought about the options but due to my son being Autistic and the horrid time he has when anything is changed, have decided to get the belt replaced and have a decent quote for timing belt, water pump, oil pump drive belt, new gaskets etc, of £1400 compared to a cheaper quote of £1000 for just the belt and no water pump etc, unless upon inspection it looked to be needing replacement. The question I have before I go ahead though is regarding the longentivity of the other expensive items like turbo. How reliable are the other items ? and is there anything else I should look to check is included in the quote for £1400, such as oil sump pick up or would this usually be dine when changing the oil pump drive belt ? both quotes above were ford garages and independents wasn't cheaper, not many had the tolls anyway. I really appreciate your advice.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Notharrisonford said:

The question I have before I go ahead though is regarding the longentivity of the other expensive items like turbo. How reliable are the other items ?

.....and that is the unknown answer. The 1.0 Ecoboost is not noted for being robust when it gets to being 10 years old. You have done well that the timing belt has lasted 11 years. Like many things it's pure luck (or lack of) just how long it will last after the cam belt is replaced. It may last another 4 or 5 years with no major issues but then again it might only last 4 or 5 months before it has a major failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of issues that have received a lot of coverage on here are hoses and turbo coolant pipe corrosion. The turbo pipe corrosion seems to be more a Fiesta issue, while the hoses should have been replaced under recall but a better solution is to upgrade to the facelift (Mk 3.5) hoses.

Lots of threads on both but examples:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/109308-ford-focus-ecboost-degas-hose/

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/95740-2013-10l-ecoboost-engine-rust-problem/

It's now little over 10 years since the 1.0 ecoboost was launched so longevity in the longer term is a bit of an unknown, as Unofix suggests.

• Thanks 1

I was going to mention the turbo pipe corrosion but you can check that pretty easily yourself anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:08 AM, Notharrisonford said:

and is there anything else I should look to check is included in the quote for £1400, such as oil sump pick up or would this usually be dine when changing the oil pump drive belt ? both quotes above were ford garages and independents wasn't cheaper, not many had the tolls anyway. I really appreciate your advice.

This definitely should be checked. As you have asked for the oil pump belt to be replaced one would expect the mechanic to inspect the pick-up gauze for debris, but personally I would specifically ask for that to be included. If it were my car I would also ask for the Turbocharger oil feed filter to be inspected/replaced while the cam cover and cambelt is off. Although it would seem no-one else has reported a problem with this filter, I had one that was blocked that starved the turbo bearings of oil and wrecked it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RayC333 said:

As you have asked for the oil pump belt to be replaced one would expect the mechanic to inspect the pick-up gauze for debris

That little inspection adds at least 2 more hours to the job, not including any bolts and fixings that have to be cut off to remove the exhaust to get at the sump.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, unofix said:

That little inspection adds at least 2 more hours to the job, not including any bolts and fixings that have to be cut off to remove the exhaust to get at the sump.

Don't you need the sump off anyway to get to the oil pump belt?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Don't you need the sump off anyway to get to the oil pump belt?

Never having done the job myself (and not that stupid that I would ever try 🤣) I can't give a 100% answer on that. To the best of my knowledge and looking at the belt configuration I have expected that it was possible to change the oil pump belt without removing the sump.

Perhaps someone who has actually done this with the engine still fitted in the car will be able to confirm if the belt can be changed without removing the sump.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's just about possible to replace the oil pump belt with the sump in-situ (so I'm told on another website). I can envisage how it could be done having seen the parts close up, but in any case one risks breaking the plastic belt shield which gets brittle with age.

If the oil pump belt is being replaced it will almost certainly be with the sump off. Recommend Notharrisonford just asks the question. 

Oil Belt Shield.jpg

• Thanks 2

To remove then refit and tension the belt you need to unbolt the pump and tilt to slacken the belt. Then fit and bolt up the pump again. 

Trying to force the belt on risks damaging the teeth on the belt. 

I just. cant see the point in spending all that money without removing the sump to check for Debris in the strainer. 

• Like 4

Thank you all for your help and advice. I booked the car in and they treat the job like one they would do under warranty and do clean the sump and replace every nut bolt washer etc with new. 

• Like 1