Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK3 (2015) Start/Stop problems

Adam_nicholls1990

Hi all, first time poster, just seeking some advice on the Start/Stop system in my 2015 1.5 Diesel Manual Focus.

The start/stop has been non functioning for a few months now, The grey logo appears on the dash when the conditions would usually be right for it to kick in.

Last week, my starter motor completely packed up. Had this replaced (made triple sure that the garage had fitted the correct start/stop starter) but the start stop functionality is still not working. 

Before I raise this with the garage, I want to be sure there's nothing else I'm missing. I've read the battery voltages/ condition need to be right, it would appear the original battery is still fitted as it is a Ford branded VARTA battery. I have today ordered a battery tester to see if it's still good or not. What figures from the tester am I looking for exactly?

In addition, when pressing the switch to turn off the system, it no longer shows on the dash that the system is off, I'm sure it used to?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Use the search system on the forum and you can read over 200 threads on the subject. 🙄

Ford - Battery SOC.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

Use the search system on the forum and you can read over 200 threads on the subject. 🙄

Ford - Battery SOC.JPG

Everyone's situations and circumstances are unique, that's why I posted a question. Who's to say I haven't already read through?

2 hours ago, Adam_nicholls1990 said:

Everyone's situations and circumstances are unique, that's why I posted a question. Who's to say I haven't already read through?

Oh Adam, I know you mean well, but start/stop is the most unreliable system ever fitted to a car. You're right, there will be numerous reasons why it doesn't work, and there is a complete algorithm in your car that won't let it work until 100s of criteria are firstly met. By far the most common is battery voltage.

You hit lucky, one of the most expert on start/stop on this forum is @unofix there is no point whatsoever in p*ssing him off when he's trying to help you...

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Adam_nicholls1990 said:

it would appear the original battery is still fitted as it is a Ford branded VARTA battery

If your battery really is 8 years old I'm not surprised stop/start doesn't work. Buy a new battery, charge it to 100% off the car then, after fitting it, reset the BMS and your stop/start will work - for 2 or 3 years if you're lucky.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Adam_nicholls1990 said:

Last week, my starter motor completely packed up

Obviously the stop/start worked exceedingly well at some point and wore the starter out. That's why most of us don't worry when it stops working or, like @unofix, find ways to disable it. On our old Mk3, which I sold on last year, it didn't work for most of the 6 years we ran it until I had to replace the battery. Then it worked flawlessly for about 18 months when, due parlly to lack of use due to lockdowns etc., it started to get erratic.

Unlike some on here I can actually see the benefit of it in congested urban situations where air pollution becomes very high. I've experienced the unpleasant effects of exhaust fumes when walking alonside queuing traffic. However it's just another complication waiting to go wrong like so many of the "driver aids" that have been foisted on us in recent years.

• Like 2

Had a similar issue myself. Isolated it to the battery being the original ford battery dated June 2015. Swapped it out for a new one, reset BMS, and problem solved.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Copacetic said:

Had a similar issue myself. Isolated it to the battery being the original ford battery dated June 2015. Swapped it out for a new one, reset BMS, and problem solved.

Now, don't forget to report back here when your stop/start system fails again - it's only a matter of time... 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

mine stopped working several months ago now. to be honest i'm not really bothered. i really doubt that it saves me a lot of fuel and it's a system i never really liked in other cars ( i would turn it off each time i got in the car)

it did kick in a few weeks ago but hasn't started since