Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Flush?

bertj

Just had my MK.8 Titanium X (125 bhp) serviced for the first time after 2 years and only 7,500 miles. I was offered an 'Engine Flush' for an aditional fee but I declined. I've now read some posts suggesting that it would have been a good idea so I'd be grateful for comments. I understand (I think!) that it's something to do with 'wet' drive belts producing debris that could block oil ways.

Thanks 

Never, ever, flush the 1.0 Ecoboost.

It destroys the wet built.

If they offered you a flush I'd also be concerned they don't appreciate this and may not know it's also fussy about what oil is used.

• Like 5

See this thread on the same subject of the correct specification of oil for the Ecoboost 1.0

• Like 1

The make or brand of the oil is unimportant but it MUST meet the Ford specification as detailed in the owners handbook. With the 1.0 Ecoboost it is simply just not good enough to use an oil of the right viscosity for example 5W/20

Big Boom Oil Company.JPG

The service was done at a main Ford dealer - I assume that they used the correct oil - the description on the work sheet/receipt is Castrol Maganatec 5W-20 E , part number 15D63B but no specification given.

I vaguely remember, many, many, years ago that flushing oil was used routinely before an oil change but I was very surprised that it might be still used on modern engines using modern oils. 

A main dealer should know better than to offer to flush this engine.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bertj said:

part number 15D63B

That is the correct part Ford number for WSS-M2C948-B   5W/20  manufactured by Castrol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alexp999 said:

A main dealer should know better than to offer to flush this engine.

As usual its caveat emptor.

In my experience it is usually automatically offered by the service receptionist as one of their 'saleable extras' to generate more revenue and as they are more secretary than mechanic they don't have either the knowledge or interest to understand the needs of the different engines in all the different cars they book in and out on a daily basis. 

I have seen an engine flush done on cars like Ecoboost. The only way to do it is to use clean engine oil (to right Ford Spec). It's probably expensive, but it's the only way to do it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club