Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you help me identify what I just found in the sump?

ooof

Hi all,

Brand new member here, hoping to take advantage of your expertise....

I have a 2017 Ford C Max with the 1.5l TDCI engine.

Last week, a stone put a tiny hole in the sump, so we removed the sump to replace it and found these parts in the filter located in the pipework in the sump.

I guess they are from the oil pump, but there is nothing to show that there is a problem. Pressure seems alright, no warning light, no weird noises, nothing. I have no idea how long they have been in there.

Can anyone identify what they might be? I think it's safe to assume the pins are what is left of a roller bearing, but I have no clue what the bracket type thing is.

I can upload better pics if they will help.

Any help will be massively appreciated, thanks all.

IMG_0813.jpeg

• Sad 2

The oil pump is further up the enging, there will be a pipe from the oil pump going into the sump that sucks the oil up into it, stops it sucking any gunk & dirt laying at the bottom off the sump. If it was the oil pump you would know.

How far down/up is the hole? Was the sump leaking much oil with the hole in it? How far did you drive after it happened? The more info the better..lol

Here are some better images of what was found in the sump.

I have included a scale to help.

I have marked one of the photos with blue and yellow marks.

The yellow marks show where it looks like the metal has been snapped.

The blue line shows where *I think* the metal has been bent. I think, originally, the blue line would have been a striaght line going directly up to the top of the image.

A bit more info:

The hole in the sump was about 1cm away from the drain hole and was tiny, the leak was very, very slow. It never ran dry and the hole could not have been there for more than a few weeks before it was noticed.

The car has been rock solid throughout. There was never any indication of anything being wrong. It still seems fine now.

The car had it's cambelt changed about two months ago and a filters and oil service about two weeks after that.

If I can think of anything else, I will post it here.

Thanks for your help!

2.jpg

1.jpg

55 minutes ago, unofix said:

That part is to big, but bares similarities.

I have posted some better pics with a scale, maybe that will help.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look👍

1 hour ago, joemcc316 said:

The oil pump is further up the enging, there will be a pipe from the oil pump going into the sump that sucks the oil up into it, stops it sucking any gunk & dirt laying at the bottom off the sump. If it was the oil pump you would know.

How far down/up is the hole? Was the sump leaking much oil with the hole in it? How far did you drive after it happened? The more info the better..lol

I've added some new pics and a bit more info in a new post.

Thanks for your time, Joe👍

Crikey, that's alot of bits for the car still to be working perfectly!

I'm 99% sure that's a valve rocker arm! 😮   

One side of it, plus the needle rollers from inside.

Picture 1 of 3

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

So, if the car still works fine, valve rocker arms are an unnecessary car part, right? Kinda like a human tonsil? 🤣

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

So, if the car still works fine, valve rocker arms are an unnecessary car part, right? Kinda like a human tonsil? 🤣

Nope, it's just luck that the rest of the rocker arm hasn't come apart yet.  I wouldn't recommend running it again before removing the cam cover to check. :unsure:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Picture 1 of 3

That's what I thought too but I didn't think there was enough room in the oil Galleries for it to fall into the Sump and I would have expected the car to be running bad and very noisy. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tizer said:

That's what I thought too but I didn't think there was enough room in the Oil Galleries for it to fall into the Sump and I would have expected the car to be running bad and very noisy. 

I reckon the rest of the arm is still being loosely held in place so still getting a decent amount of valve opening.  There's also the possibility that this came from a previous cambelt snap (without proper clean-up) if the car hasn't been owned from new.  Either way, the cam cover needs to be removed asap.

On a side note, I had a 1.9PD where the camshaft wore out and lifters got dented in, and it still ran fine for weeks/months like that before I found out, even pulling 170bhp on a dyno a few weeks prior to total failure of one of the lifters! :laugh:   After the lifter smashed, it did still run, just sounded awful and power was severely restricted - though I did have enough to drive it a mile or two like that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I reckon the rest of the arm is still being loosely held in place so still getting a decent amount of valve opening.  There's also the possibility that this came from a previous cambelt snap (without proper clean-up) if the car hasn't been owned from new.  Either way, the cam cover needs to be removed asap.

On a side note, I had a 1.9PD where the camshaft wore out and lifters got dented in, and it still ran fine for weeks/months like that before I found out, even pulling 170bhp on a dyno a few weeks prior to total failure of one of the lifters! :laugh:   After the lifter smashed, it did still run, just sounded awful and power was severely restricted - though I did have enough to drive it a mile or two like that.

I completely agree, it was most probably a previous problem that was left in the Sump for some reason but it does need checked out. 

I have also experienced a problem with a Cam Follower being out of place and the Engine sounded like a bag of nails. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

There's also the possibility that this came from a previous cambelt snap (without proper clean-up) if the car hasn't been owned from new. 

Boom!

This is the correct answer, even down to how the parts got in there.

Took the cam cover off, evrything was there and intact. Can only have been a previous dodgy mechanic.

Seriously, thanks for all your help guys, you've helped me out no end. 

Thanks!

ThankYouMeme-3.jpg

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club