Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How far on 0 Miles?

jpdfive

I recently got a scare when i reached a petrol station on 2 miles. i’m a cautious person, so out of interest, on a focus 2009, 1.6, that now does an indicated average 34mpg, how far would I have got on 0 miles range? Obviously it’s a gamble but what could i expect

Er... 0 miles.

Or 1759 yards if the display has only just flicked over from 1 to 0.

Or have I completely misunderstood your post?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, alanfp said:

Er... 0 miles.

Or 1759 yards if the display has only just flicked over from 1 to 0.

Or have I completely misunderstood your post?

Yes probably, or you’re just a bit unaware of the world. there are countless anecdotes that cars will go for a good 10 miles when they’re apparently running on empty.

On modern fords there's approx 5 litres of fuel left in the tank when showing when you get down to 0 miles. We drive around vehicles all day at work with 0 miles showing . 

Had a 2016 Mondeo 2.0 tdci that I could do 55 miles + when showing empty. I wouldn't advise that esp with a diesel . 

• Like 3

I've done 20+ miles on '0 miles' on a Mk2 Focus, but it was a 1.6 TDCI doing around 55mpg. 

Done around 30 miles on a Mk3 Focus 1.6 TDCI.

Done about 60 miles on Mk6 Golf after it first hits 0...but for some reason it then jumps back up to 30 miles again!  Think the previous owner wore out the bottom end of the sender by only filling small amounts each time.

I don't like to fill up before hitting 600 miles in a Focus or Golf. :biggrin: 

You'll just have to take my word for the Mk2.5 being on 0 miles.  Can't find the correct pic! :laugh: 

No photo description available.

IMG_20180323_151159939.thumb.jpg.1b61787f518486f364b428e2837459dc.jpg

0milesGolf.thumb.jpg.08bc65bc56d1b1c501ece0336cddaef0.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jpdfive said:

I recently got a scare when i reached a petrol station on 2 miles. i’m a cautious person, so out of interest, on a focus 2009, 1.6, that now does an indicated average 34mpg, how far would I have got on 0 miles range? Obviously it’s a gamble but what could i expect

Please fill a jerry can with fuel and tell us all how far you can go before the old girl conks out.

21 hours ago, jpdfive said:

there are countless anecdotes that cars will go for a good 10 miles when they’re apparently running on empty.

I know that, but I thought you said you were cautious, hence my answer.  Best answer of course is for you to try it and see when you run out of petrol. Then let us know.

Several years ago one of my previous diesel Mondeos got to -9 before I found a fuel station. No idea how much further it would have gone.

I don't get this fascination with Petrol Pump Roulette....why on earth would you risk it ??? 

I worked on the motorways of West Yorkshire for a good few years and have genuinely lost count of the number of collisions and near-misses that I attended due to people running out of fuel. 🤬🤬

The worst one was a young girl in a VW Beetle that ran out of petrol in lane 3 on a 4-lane "Smart" motorway with no hard shoulder at about 7 pm one winter's evening. CCTV footage showed that she had been stationery for less than a minute and was still sitting in the car when she got hit from behind by another car doing about 70 mph !!!! She sustained multiple injuries and was hospitalised for several weeks afterwards and she was told that she was lucky to have survived, as were the other people also involved in the collision.

When interviewed in hospital, she stated her fuel warning light had come on before she got on the motorway, about 10 miles away, but she thought she would be able to get home on the fuel that was left in the tank !!

Now I would hope that no-one on here would be stupid enough to get on a motorway with "0 miles range" showing on the dash but even running-out of fuel on a minor road is likely to put either you or someone else in danger of having a collision, so please don't do it guys. 

Don't take the risk ....it's not just your life you are putting in danger !!!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club