Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding a third key to a Ford fiesta

captaincadet

Hello

I want to add a new key to my ford fiesta MK8. I currently have the non-motion keyless entry and want to upgrade to the motion key as I park my car right outside and with my job I don't really want to deal with a Faraday cadge (I know my lifestyle enough. 

The current key I have is this:

https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/motion-sensing-key-fob-for-keyless-entry-with-ford-logo-1  - REV A non motion detecting (DOM ~2016 - yes 2 years before the car was built) 

I have 2 working keys and would like a third. Ford dealer near me have quoted £200 for them to do this on my behalf, however some ford garages in the states state it's simply cycling the power button 8 or so times. Is this true?

I can buy the key myself so I presume that I can program it myself, just that ford are very opaque themselves on how to program the key

Is it possible for me to program the key myself, and if it is how would I do this?   

Thanks for your help 

The Key systems used in North America are not the same as those used in the UK.

You need the new key AND your existing keys programmed/re-programmed to your car by a Ford dealer. This has been the case for all UK/European Fords since 2013.

Beware of some locksmiths (like Timpson) who offer key programming. In many cases they simply clone one of your existing keys. This means the car actually only has two keys coded in as the new key has the same code.

key.JPG

Ugh I was hoping that this wasn't the case 

Will all locksmiths just copy the key bar ford? 

As someone who works in software engineering, I find it nuts that ford want £200 to fix their own security problem, where we would be expected to fix it ourselves for free which is standard practice - and even if there is a cost, it just seems nuts that it is £200

Yes £200 is a lot, but then you could also be fooled by the likes of Timpson claiming to be "up to 50%  cheaper than the main dealer" and the word 'Bo11ocks' comes to mind. See the advert below.

Most, but not all Auto-locksmiths simply clone one of the existing keys. So unless you can be sure they are doing a genuine programming service I'd take care.

REMEMBER: It's the Car that gets programmed to the key. Not the other way round.

Timpson.JPG

Sure - thanks  a lot - if they were to clone an existing key, would that present a problem to me?

and thanks a lot - I’m just more frustrated that  my insurance is going up £50 a year because of this 

13 hours ago, captaincadet said:

if they were to clone an existing key, would that present a problem to me?

The car would of course think there were only two keys. If you were to loose one key and it was one of the 'clones' then deleting that key from the car would delete both. Then you would be left with only one working key.

Also from a security point of view, if the code could be read from the non-sleepy keyfob would that not defeat the whole purpose of the exercise of haveing a new keyfob? 

• Like 1

The intention was to keep the other 2 keys in a secure RFID safe location 

Is this something worth doing?

Personally I think the number of vehicles that are stolen by this method is extremely small. A few years ago it was the 'in thing' but technology has moved on and there are other means which are quicker and simpler.

Speaking as the Ex-owner of a Transit Connect that was stolen and never recovered, I can say it takes less than a few minutes, using the other means. My van did not have keyless entry and at the time the driver didn't even have the remote keyfob.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your help - I was hoping it was going to be something fairly easy for me to do - I just felt that the £200 ford want was too steep. I live in a high crime area which is why I was thinking of the key but I think I'll explore my options

You should really seek out a decent local independent locksmith. I know one that for £60 will not only cut the blade, but also program the key as a proper 3rd key to the car in order for it to start the car, and ensure the 'remote' functions also work (doors, boot etc).

Timpsons also will simply not cut the blade of any key that is not bought from them. I appreciate that the type of key I'm talking about is different to yours, but the advice is the same, seek out local for a quote!

Sure - so it’s probably worth asking if they can do that - any idea of any companies or questions I should be asking?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, captaincadet said:

... any idea of any companies or questions I should be asking?

"You should really seek out a decent local independent locksmith..."

I would try a Google of local Swansea locksmiths and see what appears. Then make a few calls to see how much they would charge for a 3rd programmed key for your car (suggest you do not want a 'clone'). They'll have a box of electronic tricks that will plug into your OBD socket in the car, and cutting the blade, and programming key, should take no more than 10 minutes...

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion - would timpsons et al. Not even need access to the car to clone a key?

just if I do carry this out I want to get this right - appreciate everyone’s patients 

10 hours ago, captaincadet said:

Sorry for the confusion - would timpsons et al. Not even need access to the car to clone a key?

No, they 'clone' the key. Nothing to do with the car. A proper locksmith will actually 'program'' a 3rd key (with a different coding) to your cars electronic system. So your car will end up with 3 separate registered keys. If a key is cloned, your car will still have 2 x registered keys, though you will have 3 physical keys in your hand!

The best analogy I can think of is, if you have a burglar alarm at home, you arm it using a PIN number. If 3 people live in your house, they can all use the same PIN number, OR, you can issue a different PIN number for each person. If one person stops living there, you have compromised the security of the other 2. But if each has there own PIN, you can delete that PIN from the control panel, leaving the remaining 2 secure.

A 'clone' key will work, but if you want it done 'correct', you should have a proper 3rd key.

• Thanks 1

Just to add to what Steven has said, it is the 'Car' that gets programmed to recognise the key.

People often talk about getting the 'Key' programmed which is wrong. With a genuine key it is manufactured with a unique code for example 87654321 and another key might be 8765123 the 'Car' is programmed to accept either of the keys as been correct.

Clone keys have a programmable integrated circuit inside and a company like Timpsons will simply take one of you working keys and clone it. So you will for example end up with two keys both with the code 87654321. Now if in the future you lose one of the keys with that code you will have to have that code deleted from the cars memory. That will leave you with only one working key, and a spare key that no longer works.

• Like 2

Thanks both 

I’ll speak to my insurance and see if it makes any difference at all, but this makes sense!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club