Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Why are oven chips such a failure?

StephenFord

The concept seems great, making chips in your own home by cooking in the oven, however, the process is such a dismal failure. Chips should be nice & crispy on the outside, and fluffy potato on the inside, Yet a result totally unachievable in the oven. The pack photo on the chip bag always looks so appetising. I have cooked them at a higher temperature than stated, and for longer than suggested. Always a single layer, even leaving on kitchen towel after to absorb any residual moisture to help them crisp. Every time, without failure, I end up with a soggy, unappetising mess.

Oven chips - just a marketing gimmick, right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure half the UK lives off oven chips lol.  They can't be that much of a failure.

Perhaps you're buying own brand versions?  Or chunky, steak cut, type?

Standard McCain or Aunt Bessies, fan oven at 220c for 20 minutes were fine for me.

• Like 4

Have to agree with Tom, I use McCain (regular size, not chunky) and cook them at 200oC in the fan over for 25 mins and they're fine. Almost look like the packet.

I do admit they don't taste like real chips deep fried in a chip pan (beef dripping was best).😋

• Like 5

The silicon wafers that are used in VLSI do not like heat.

• Haha 2

I still fry, bought an air fryer and they were abysmal in that, about all it could cook to my liking was sausages

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Have to agree with Tom, I use McCain (regular size, not chunky) and cook them at 200oC in the fan over for 25 mins and they're fine. Almost look like the packet.

I do admit they don't taste like real chips deep fried in a chip pan (beef dripping was best).😋

Mate, don’t worry about the chips, a beef dripping sandwich, real grub……..🫶

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't do chips at home. Prefer roasters or jacket potatoes usually with some butter or strong cheddar cheese.

Making myself feel hungry 😃

Sometimes have 'French Fries' when out with family but not the same as childhood chips from a chippie - now overpriced in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD33 said:

Mate, don’t worry about the chips, a beef dripping sandwich, real grub……..🫶

I remember beef dripping sandwich with a sprinkle of salt. Healthy stuff for a growing child .

• Like 2

We still do occasionally get a saucepan out and fry homemade chips. Such a different taste even to chipshop chips. But did have the cooker on fire not that long ago when I slipped with the chips into the hot oil and oil jumped out . The resulting flames were rather impressive. Licking the extractor fan 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, iantt said:

I remember beef dripping sandwich with a sprinkle of salt. Healthy stuff for a growing child .

THe jelly at the bottom of it was amazing on toast

• Like 2

Like Unofix above. McCain Naked Oven Chips (not the coated ones), fan oven 200oC for 30 minutes. Fine!

• Like 1

Interesting to see that the posts giving temp/timing for chips all different! LOL

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

giving temp/timing for chips all different

Actually they are not that different and ovens do vary so in the end it's whatever works for you.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Interesting to see that the posts giving temp/timing for chips all different! LOL

Makes it all the more confusing about how yours can be going so wrong! :biggrin:

• Haha 2

I recently bought one of those 'wire mesh' oven chip trays. The 'science' says it allows the heat to circulate around the whole chip and prevents the chip wallowing in it's own steam - I'll report back LOL  😄

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I recently bought one of those 'wire mesh' oven chip trays. The 'science' says it allows the heat to circulate around the whole chip and prevents the chip wallowing in it's own steam - I'll report back LOL  😄

Allegedly if you have a rotisserie you can do chips in that, with some bacon rashers for added flavour

9 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

...with some bacon rashers for added flavour

Lets face it, bacon adds flavour to anything!  😂

• Haha 3

But bacon doesnt  go with pancakes with maple syrup.thats just wrong. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

Bacon goes with EVERYTHING !

• Haha 1

No no no no no. Not pancakes. Weirdo Americans got to blame for that. 

• Haha 2

not the thin things the Frogs call Crepes, propper fat ones eaten with a knife and fork

• Thanks 1

Off topic and 65 years ago but as a child I still remember getting street food crepes in Paris. Cooked in front of you on a hot plate about two foot in diameter and wafer thin, dusted with sugar, folded  multiple times and served to you in a napkin. Mmmmmm!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iantt said:

You'd think that, however, when in USA you need to go to an IHOP (International House of Pancakes) & order a pancake stack complete with strips of crispy bacon, and maple syrup - it's a real eye opener, simply delicious!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, agraham said:

Off topic and 65 years ago but as a child I still remember getting street food crepes in Paris. Cooked in front of you on a hot plate about two foot in diameter and wafer thin, dusted with sugar, folded  multiple times and served to you in a napkin. Mmmmmm!

We can still get those at the Christmas Continental market, but at £7, bit of a rip off!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

You'd think that, however, when in USA you need to go to an IHOP (International House of Pancakes) & order a pancake stack complete with strips of crispy bacon, and maple syrup - it's a real eye opener, simply delicious!!

I may be mistaken but in the back of my mind i seem to remember an IHOP in Blackpool near the tower.