Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Active Braking

DaSingh

My 17 plate came with pre collision and active braking. Now either I'm the best driver or my activatebraking doesn't work. 

Don't think iv seen it activate or work since and don't even know how to test. 

Prw collision works and the red lights flash but never felt it brake. 

20230521_102934.jpg

1 hour ago, DaSingh said:

and don't even know how to test. 

It's very easy to test. At your own risk !! Drive at 50 MPH very close to the back of an HGV. When the lorry stops if you smash in to the back of it (please note there is a risk of death) then your pre-collision and active braking system has failed.

Seriously you don't have to be "the best driver" to never experience active braking. Any average driver should rarely see the system work, it's designed as a 'last resort' to try and prevent a collision. Do you ever test the airbags in the car to see if they work ? or check that the explosive seat belt tensions will work in the event of an impact ?

Finally: This shouldn't need to be said but these days you can never be sure. 'Do NOT test your active braking system using the method above or you may well end up dead'😞

Reason I ask is iv seen active braking on other cars and they seem to be very active especially on my Bros volvo. 

Should have been clearer on testing meant using forscan or similar 

5 hours ago, unofix said:

It's very easy to test. At your own risk !! Drive at 50 MPH very close to the back of an HGV. When the lorry stops if you smash in to the back of it (please note there is a risk of death) then your pre-collision and active braking system has failed.

Seriously you don't have to be "the best driver" to never experience active braking. Any average driver should rarely see the system work, it's designed as a 'last resort' to try and prevent a collision. Do you ever test the airbags in the car to see if they work ? or check that the explosive seat belt tensions will work in the event of an impact ?

Finally: This shouldn't need to be said but these days you can never be sure. 'Do NOT test your active braking system using the method above or you may well end up dead'😞

I tested my Hyundai out of curiosity or stupidity. Either way, it worked. Luckily. 

Know most of the latest fords work on very slow speed .( Yes I have seen it work multiple times)  You try running a pedestrian over in front of you. No fun anymore. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, iantt said:

You try running a pedestrian over in front of you. No fun anymore. 

That's a better way to test the active braking !!   Far less dangerous than tailgating an HGV. Only minimum risk of damage to the bodywork, the car that is, not the pedestrian 🤣

4 hours ago, unofix said:

That's a better way to test the active braking !!   Far less dangerous than tailgating an HGV. Only minimum risk of damage to the bodywork, the car that is, not the pedestrian 🤣

I try it out at least twice a day on my work colleagues. 

Well iv been in few near misses and one really close call on the motorway and never felt or seen it working so that's why I'm confused 

Active braking is a sensible option but is also unsafe in it's own way.

My wife has recently changed work locations (one hospital for another) and the route is shorter but has a lot of traffic calming ( chicanes and speed bumps) but is still a 30mph road but I had the active braking kick in at 25mph because some plum in the council roads office decided that putting socking great brick planters on the pointy kerb bits was a good idea.

The car read it that I was about to drive into a wall and stopped in it's own shadow occasioning a lot of choice language from myself and Wifey.

If anyone was following me a bit too close then we would have 'merged' quite violently.