Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whining / Droning Noise When Driving

wolfiecullen

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone could help.

A friend of mine has a 2004 Focus 1.6 petrol, and it's making a whining / droning noise while driving. It doesn't happen when the engine is cold but after driving a couple of miles and the car has warmed up it makes the noise. The pitch of the noise rises and falls with the revs.

She's had the wheel bearings replaced, the brakes replaced all round, the drive shafts and universal joints checked and the suspension checked and is getting fed up with the noise.

Any advice that anyone can offer will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Hi,

Does the noise happen when stationery or only when driving? If it is while driving I would be checking wheel arches for evidence of rubbing and maybe checking the discs too for scoring etc. Unless your convinced its engine related I would start with what I've suggested. :)

As far as I know it's only whilst driving, but I will check with her tomorrow.

She's had the brakes done with new pads and disks all round.

Thanks for your help and I'll get her to have the wheel arches checked like you said.

As far as I know it's only whilst driving, but I will check with her tomorrow.

She's had the brakes done with new pads and disks all round.

Thanks for your help and I'll get her to have the wheel arches checked like you said.

its a possibility its the water pump or tensioner starting to go if nothing on the front end yields any clues

Thanks. I'll let her know tomorrow.

There is an issue with the power steering hose leaking, and the groaning noise you hear could be low fluid. Check for leaks as the lubricant can damage the timing belt and cause it to slip which as you know is costly to put right. It happened to a mk2 focus we have but we spotted it before any serious damage was done.

Thanks H3lly

Will tell her 2moro and get her to have it checked. Something important like power steering needs to be checked as soon as poss doesn't it to avoid any possible accidents.

Thanks again.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

could be a worn alternator drive belt, they drive you mad when worn, its about £20 for a new one..if not the belt look at the alternator and water pump to see if they are worn.

Thanks for all your help. My friend's now thinking of trading it in as she fancies a change of car, so probably won't get it sorted before she gets rid.

Could be the Layshaft Bearing as when the gearbox warms up it will whine. Though there is a million and one other things it could be so we will need more details.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club