Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK6 Oil Pump Price

fez008

I may need a new oil pump not 100% but I want a rough estimate on how much it will cost if you guys can tell me please? Fiesta MK6 08

What engine is in your Fiesta?

£80-£120 for a new aftermarket part. 

£200+ for new genuine part.  

How much for fitting also so the total price please?

On 5/30/2023 at 1:28 PM, fez008 said:

How much for fitting also so the total price please?

About an hours labour.  Plus you'll need fresh oil (and filter).  Would estimate around £200 total at a small independent garage.  Can probably double that at a Ford main dealer with considerably higher labour rates and genuine part cost.  (**Edited to correct.  The oil pump labour time on this engine is more like 4 hours including cambelt replacement.**)

Why do you think you need a new pump?  If you're getting the oil light on with no other symptoms, chances are it's probably just the oil light switch on this particular engine.

I made a post about the issue back in March the problem/sound I am getting is when I start my car I get a rattle noise which gets louder the higher the rpms and is more prominent in cold weather but if I leave it about 20ish seconds it goes away before I start driving and also goes as the engine starts to kick in and get warmer. I had a service in January and told the mechanic about the problem and he said your engine is fine but he could not of missed the noise that shouldn't be there to which I am confused? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fez008 said:

I made a post about the issue back in March the problem/sound I am getting is when I start my car I get a rattle noise which gets louder the higher the rpms and is more prominent in cold weather but if I leave it about 20ish seconds it goes away before I start driving and also goes as the engine starts to kick in and get warmer. I had a service in January and told the mechanic about the problem and he said your engine is fine but he could not of missed the noise that shouldn't be there to which I am confused? 

Ah ok.  These engines do tap a bit when cold, and get worse as they age.  It's generally caused by the tappets but they can't be easily adjusted on this engine.  Just something to live with really.  As long as you've got good oil pressure (no oil pressure light) then I don't think changing the oil pump will cure the fault.

How much would it cost to have new tappets?

3 minutes ago, fez008 said:

Also what problems can occur down the line from the the tappets behaving like this?

1 hour ago, fez008 said:

Difficult to say as it depends how many need replacing.  It's a big job though, camshaft needs to be removed, so you end up needing a new cambelt as well.  Looking at hundreds of pounds overall.

You could check the valve clearances to see how bad they are before deciding it's worth going to all the hassle and cost of replacing them.

59 minutes ago, fez008 said:

Also what problems can occur down the line from the the tappets behaving like this?

It's already 15 years old, how much further down the line are you expecting it to get lol?

Not likely to cause any major issues within the engines life span, it's just a bit annoying on a cold morning.

Its only on 59k and its pretty clean for a 15 year old car so yeah I would expect it to go for a while and id spend a bit of money on it lol

1 hour ago, fez008 said:

Its only on 59k and its pretty clean for a 15 year old car so yeah I would expect it to go for a while and id spend a bit of money on it lol

Fair enough, though I've found age ruins cars much more than mileage unfortunately. 

With such low mileage for it's age, do you know when the cambelt was last replaced?  If the belt needs replacing, it's the ideal time to check valve clearances and change any tappets if required.

I've also got to amend my oil pump quote from earlier, had mixed this thread with another one I think.  The oil pump replacement on these is a much bigger job than I'd quoted for.  That also requires the cambelt to be removed on this engine.  So again, worth considering at the same time as a belt change.

Apparently it was done on 49k it has a stamp under the cambelt box in the book I'll just speak to a mechanic so he can listen again and see what he says thanks for the help though appreciate it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Fair enough, though I've found age ruins cars much more than mileage unfortunately. 

With such low mileage for it's age, do you know when the cambelt was last replaced?  If the belt needs replacing, it's the ideal time to check valve clearances and change any tappets if required.

I've also got to amend my oil pump quote from earlier, had mixed this thread with another one I think.  The oil pump replacement on these is a much bigger job than I'd quoted for.  That also requires the cambelt to be removed on this engine.  So again, worth considering at the same time as a belt change.

With the timing belt Tom even thought it's been stamped to say its been changed would a mechanic be able to visually expect it to see if it needs changing first off?

25 minutes ago, fez008 said:

With the timing belt Tom even thought it's been stamped to say its been changed would a mechanic be able to visually expect it to see if it needs changing first off?

Yes, but it can be difficult to tell visually so you may not find a mechanic wanting to take responsibility for it.

Worth noting that belts degrade over time as well as mileage.  The recommended replacement is 8 years or 100k miles on this engine, whichever comes first.

I literally just went to my local mechanic who my family use and he said the same as you, he wants to see the stamp on the book where it says timing belt change before anything but he reckons chances are it has been changed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fez008 said:

I literally just went to my local mechanic who my family use and he said the same as you, he wants to see the stamp on the book where it says timing belt change before anything but he reckons chances are it has been changed

20230601_132037.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fez008 said:

20230601_132037.jpg

Have they written the date twice instead of the mileage lol? 

Stamps can be fake without any paperwork to back them up.  But I think that one is genuine.  If it was changed in 2019, then you've got another 4 years to go, unless you have anything else replaced in the meantime that needs the belt to be removed for access.

Yeah they have for some reason I bought the car on 49k so must of been just before I bought it lol, what makes it look genuine to you?

33 minutes ago, fez008 said:

Yeah they have for some reason I bought the car on 49k so must of been just before I bought it lol, what makes it look genuine to you?

Different stamps, different hand writing...and the mileage error.  Anyone faking a book would take more care over it lol.

Also Googled the garage and it looks like a garage without a sales forecourt, so less likely to have faked service history to sell the car themselves.

Awesome thank you mate helped me out a lot 👍🏻 

• Like 1

Tom if I'm going to get the lifters replaced do you know off the top of your head a rough price please?

19 minutes ago, fez008 said:

Tom if I'm going to get the lifters replaced do you know off the top of your head a rough price please?

As said before, it totally depends on how many need to be replaced.  The gaps have to be measured first, then the correct size replacement bought for each valve. 

As a worst case scenario - there are 16 of them, with a cost of approx £25 each.  So that's £400 if they all need replacing.  Plus a cambelt kit at £100.  Plus around 5 hours labour at £50 per hour.  That's £750 all in. 

Even if only 4 need replacing, you're still looking at about £450 which is considerable on a car of this age.  I really would take time to consider whether it's worth doing.

So if I decided to not have them done how long would these lifters last as they are already making a rattling noise, is it worth spending the money on it? I'm stuck between what to do really I want to keep the car going as long as I can

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club