Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this really progress?

mjt

56 minutes ago, Hooded said:

There’s a reason I’m currently driving around in a MK2 and it’s not because I can’t afford a MK4. I don’t even have TPMS which is an example of an extra expense (when something goes wrong/or sensor battery dies) I didn’t need when I passed my test 30 years ago. 

New cars are getting electronically too complex. In the past you could buy an 10+ year old car as a beater and get cheap motoring (if you bought a good one), but the latest models won’t be so desirable to maintain once they are that age due to all the potential electrical faults. 

Most Mk2.5s have DDS available, just not activated as standard.  Only takes a few seconds to activate with ELMConfig, or possibly Forscan nowadays.  No extra hardware needed but can be a very useful feature.

My Mk2.5 drove poorly on the day I picked it up.  Steering was really heavy and didn't handle great - though I just assumed that was the handling of a 'modern' car, compared to the old one I'd been used to.  Wasn't until I got fuel & checked tyre pressures a few days later I realised there was a slow puncture. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Most Mk2.5s have DDS available, just not activated as standard... 

I hate acronyms LOL Have googled it, am no further - what the heck is DDS??

• Like 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

I hate acronyms LOL Have googled it, am no further - what the heck is DDS??

Deflation Detection System

It uses the ABS sensors to measure tyre circumference through wheel speed.  If pressure drops, the tyre size changes very slightly and become out of sync with the other 3 wheel speeds.

• Thanks 2

At least that doesn't require the expensive TPMS sensors in the tyres so might be well worth having.

I bought my first keyless car in 2003 and it's taken 20 years for this to become a news story, maybe it's an over blown issue, or there just so many cars with it it's more common ?

2 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

I bought my first keyless car in 2003 and it's taken 20 years for this to become a news story, maybe it's an over blown issue, or there just so many cars with it it's more common ?

This has been a news story for years. It’s gets posted on here regularly 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

This has been a news story for years. It’s gets posted on here regularly 

...but not quite as often as the "my Stop / Start system doesn't work, and I've reset the BMS 6 times this week" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Most Mk2.5s have DDS available, just not activated as standard.  Only takes a few seconds to activate with ELMConfig, or possibly Forscan nowadays.  No extra hardware needed but can be a very useful feature.

That’s interesting,... I don’t mind activating that feature for free. I intend to get the cable to use Forscan so I’ll look into that when I do. 

The main thing is it’s not an MOT failure on my car. 

A few days before the last MOT I put on my 3 series the dreaded TPMS system failure came up on the idrive. I know the module is a common failure on the F30 so I just had to bite the bullet and get the garage to diagnose and fix it before doing the MOT. Turned out to be just one of the valves had died (64 reg so battery) and the total charge for diagnostics and changing the valve was £300!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, mjt said:

At least that doesn't require the expensive TPMS sensors in the tyres so might be well worth having.

The sensors themselves are not that expensive.  £30 each from Ford. Its the fitting which can cost.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sparkymatt said:

The sensors themselves are not that expensive.  £30 each from Ford. Its the fitting which can cost.

mmm..., the batteries for my sensors were £6 for ALL four, and last time they lasted 6 years LOL I guess our definitions of 'not that expensive' just differ...

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

mmm..., the batteries for my sensors were £6 for ALL four, and last time they lasted 6 years LOL I guess our definitions of 'not that expensive' just differ...

The chances of having all four sensors failing at the same time are pretty remote so I wouldn't expect to change all four together. Just don't use any tyre repair sealant as this can damage them. Never had a car for more than 3 years with the sensors so wouldn't know how long  batteries last.

30 minutes ago, sparkymatt said:

The chances of having all four sensors failing at the same time are pretty remote...

I should have clarified, that only one sensor failed due to battery failure, but because of minimal cost, I replaced all 4 batteries at the same time...

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I should have clarified, that only one sensor failed due to battery failure, but because of minimal cost, I replaced all 4 batteries at the same time...

Oh I see. Mine failed due to damage caused by tyre sealant so just replacing the battery wasn't an option. I still stand by my statement that they are not expensive compared to other parts that could fail and need replacing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

I bought my first keyless car in 2003 and it's taken 20 years for this to become a news story, maybe it's an over blown issue, or there just so many cars with it it's more common

That means they've had 20 years to sort it out but clearly haven't and although it's old news for many on here there will still be people who are not aware of it so it does no harm to bring it to light again from time to time.

The purpose behind my choice of title for this thread is that not all the latest tech and big ideas are necessarily an improvement on what went before. Aside from the security issues I feel that a lot of it is directed towards de-skilling driving which, for me, makes it less satisfying. For example it gives me pleasure to do a good hill start using the (conventional) handbrake, I don't need and don't want 'hill start assist' thank you, nor do I need the car to automatically apply the handbrake for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mjt said:

The purpose behind my choice of title for this thread is that not all the latest tech and big ideas are necessarily an improvement on what went before. Aside from the security issues I feel that a lot of it is directed towards de-skilling driving.

I often post here on the same issue, it amuses me when someone's auto headlights don't work, or god forbid, they have to flick a switch to turn their wipers on instead of them turning on automatically LOL I've always said, 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should...'

• Like 1

Actually I quite liked the auto wipers on our old Mk3 . . . . :biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:25 AM, mjt said:

he purpose behind my choice of title for this thread is that not all the latest tech and big ideas are necessarily an improvement on what went before. Aside from the security issues I feel that a lot of it is directed towards de-skilling driving which, for me, makes it less satisfying. For example it gives me pleasure to do a good hill start using the (conventional) handbrake, I don't need and don't want 'hill start assist' thank you, nor do I need the car to automatically apply the handbrake for me.

There's a huge amount of de-skilling, electric starter motors should be banned, if you can't hand crank it to start you shouldn't be allowed to drive 😁

• Haha 6

Well I wasn't really thinking of tech that goes back as far as pre-WWII days :laugh:.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club