Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weeping thermostat housing on 1.3 Duratec.

Oriskany
聽Share

My Duratec has one of those multi-hose plastic housings and coolant is seeping from somewhere - not the temperature sensor. I tried gently tightening the six 8mm bolts but the seep is still there. Is there a standard reason why these housings seem to fail so often and any recommendations on replacement welcome please as doing anything in this engine bay is a challenge given how full it is! Thanks.

6 hours ago, Oriskany said:

Is there a standard reason why these housings seem to fail so often

I assume that you have replaced this at least two or three time before ? 馃

Plastic just doesn't take well to heat cycles and becomes brittle over time.聽 Worse still on aftermarket parts made with cheaper plastic.聽 You can add some liquid sealant around the edge of the housing as a belt & brace approach, though ultimately it's probably not the seal that's leaking.

22 hours ago, unofix said:

I assume that you have replaced this at least two or three time before ? 馃

No, this is my first Duratec 1.3 - great engine once I'd sorted out that misfire.

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Plastic just doesn't take well to heat cycles and becomes brittle over time.聽 Worse still on aftermarket parts made with cheaper plastic.聽 You can add some liquid sealant around the edge of the housing as a belt & brace approach, though ultimately it's probably not the seal that's leaking.

I thought of that - I've tried tightening the bolts a bit but may try slackening and sealant next after draining of course. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Oriskany said:

I thought of that - I've tried tightening the bolts a bit but may try slackening and sealant next after draining of course. Thanks.

I didn't really mean add sealant to the old one.聽 Can't see that being effective unless you fully remove it and clean up both surfaces first.聽 By thet point you might as well fit a new one.

18 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I didn't really mean add sealant to the old one.聽 Can't see that being effective unless you fully remove it and clean up both surfaces first.聽 By thet point you might as well fit a new one.

Of course you are right and I should get on with it and change it but I'm getting on and have had a lifetime of working on cars - I'm not quite so fast to do things these days. My last job on the Ka was to change the suspension arms and that was not quite as easy as advertised! I'll get round to it eventually as it's just a minor weep at present. Cheers.

• Like 1

Think I know a man that can help. @StephenFord might have a spare 'tuit' possibly even a round one. 馃槈

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

Think I know a man that can help. @StephenFord might have a spare 'tuit' possibly even a round one. 馃槈

Yep, just found it LOL It's a spare, was going to put it on eBay, but I never......

tuit.thumb.jpg.ab9820dd900e9e07d441558c69e15f3a.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 6:58 PM, StephenFord said:

Yep, just found it LOL It's a spare, was going to put it on Ebay, but I never......

tuit.thumb.jpg.ab9820dd900e9e07d441558c69e15f3a.jpg

I was given one of those as a present in the 80s - it was the size of a small side plate in pottery and had "A round tuit" in large letters and an explanation below - wonder what happened to that then - memories...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club