Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Low Oil Pressure Issue

Ömer Özdemir

Hello All,

I have 1.0 Fiesta Red edition. Within a certain time, I had started to see oil pressure caution on monitor at the cold start for 2-3 seconds. I had doubts about the oil pump and I replaced it with brand new one. But I understood that there is no issue with the oil pump. Still I have same issue, I see the low pressure caution on monitor 2-3 seconds on the cold start with the metal noise. It's clear that there is some problems about the lubrication system but it's not related with oil pump. Do you have any experience like that? If I cannot find the problem, most probably my engine will wear out in a short period.

Thanks and regards,

Omer.

Sounds like the wet cam belt has deteriorated and blocked the pickups. If you’re already getting strange sounds I’d say it’s already too late for this engine. Just search wet belt on here. It blocks the pickup and starves the engine. Usually when the low oil pressure light appears it’s already too late and has done catastrophic damage. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Sounds like the wet cam belt has deteriorated and blocked the pickups. If you’re already getting strange sounds I’d say it’s already too late for this engine. Just search wet belt on here. It blocks the pickup and starves the engine. Usually when the low oil pressure light appears it’s already too late and has done catastrophic damage. 

Hello,

But I replaced the oil pump, which means pump is clean. Also there is no wet belt on the OLD oil pump. Do you mean wet belt can be in the oil channels in engine block?

Are you absolutely sure you have the correct oil in?

If not, only use the correct oil.

If there was no belt residue in the old oil pump then presume there's no belt deterioration, check the oil filter for residue (split it)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ömer Özdemir said:

Had an issue like this on a triumph 2000 many years ago. Caused by drain  back after switch off. New oil filter with an anti drain back feature was the solution. I assume you have a quality filter in place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Are you absolutely sure you have the correct oil in?

If not, only use the correct oil.

If there was no belt residue in the old oil pump then presume there's no belt deterioration, check the oil filter for residue (split it)

Hi,

My engine was grounded 6k miles before. After grinding, I started to use 5w30 oil.

OK, I will also check the oil filter. After checking, I will inform you.

Thanks,

Omer.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, RL123 said:

Had an issue like this on a triumph 2000 many years ago. Caused by drain  back after switch off. New oil filter with an anti drain back feature was the solution. I assume you have a quality filter in place.

Hi,

I have Bosch oil filter, but now all suspicions are on oil filter. Hopefully it is related with oil filter. Otherwise I don't know how I can detect the problem.

Thank you for your good advise,

Omer.

After grinding, I started to use 5w30 oil.

Well if the engine wasn't already damaged it sure is now. That is completely the wrong oil specification and I've no doubt both the wet cam belt and the wet oil pump belt will be disintegrating at quite an alarming rate.

image.thumb.png.881c1a36847240f31d0734f36e374ea4.png

• Sad 1

If it has been run with low oil pressure, the bearings could be worn to an unserviceable extent. When we used to have oil pressure gauges, we could see the pressures on idle and at rpm as a guide but multi stage oil pumps confuse the issue.

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Well if the engine wasn't already damaged it sure is now. That is completely the wrong oil specification and I've no doubt both the wet cam belt and the wet oil pump belt will be disintegrating at quite an alarming rate.

image.thumb.png.881c1a36847240f31d0734f36e374ea4.png

Hello,

About my ecoboost, it was already repaired 1 year ago. That's why I am using 5W30 oil. Otherwise 5W20 would be thin for repaired engine, am I wrong?

2 hours ago, Ömer Özdemir said:

am I wrong?

Yes.

There is only one oil specification approved by Ford for the 1.0 Ecoboost engine. It is specially formulated to minimise the deterioration of the wet belts.

You have low oil pressure because the oil sump pick-up strainer is becoming blocked by bits of the wet belt. Since there is little or nothing that you can do now to save the engine you may as well just drive it until it eventually fails. At which time you will need a replacement engine.

4 hours ago, unofix said:

Yes.

There is only one oil specification approved by Ford for the 1.0 Ecoboost engine. It is specially formulated to minimise the deterioration of the wet belts.

You have low oil pressure because the oil sump pick-up strainer is becoming blocked by bits of the wet belt. Since there is little or nothing that you can do now to save the engine you may as well just drive it until it eventually fails. At which time you will need a replacement engine.

In Australia it is 5w-30.This has more to do with our conditions in regards to temperatures in the country.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ömer Özdemir said:

Hello,

About my ecoboost, it was already repaired 1 year ago. That's why I am using 5W30 oil. Otherwise 5W20 would be thin for repaired engine, am I wrong?

5W-30 is fine.

11 hours ago, Ömer Özdemir said:

Hi,

I have Bosch oil filter, but now all suspicions are on oil filter. Hopefully it is related with oil filter. Otherwise I don't know how I can detect the problem.

Thank you for your good advise,

Omer.

If find it very unlikely that the oil filter is to blame.

1 hour ago, Hackney said:

5W-30 is fine.

It probably is if he is in Australia. Thing is in the UK which is typically around 17oC the oil will be quite heavy when the engine is cold. Also is the OP using oil to the correct Ford specification or just any 5W-30 ?

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

It probably is if he is in Australia. Thing is in the UK which is typically around 17oC the oil will be quite heavy when the engine is cold. Also is the OP using oil to the correct Ford specification or just any 5W-30 ?

No,5W-30,as long as it is Ford specs.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club