Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Fiesta Problems

mattmanic

Hello,

I recently bought a Mk4 Fiesta and I've found a few problems. Firstly, the remote locking doesn't work, I checked the receiver above the rear view mirror with a multimeter and it's not getting any power. And I don't know what could be wrong with that. The previous owner seems to have cut off and removed the door switches, the ones that make the interior light go on and off, so that could be related. Also the boot release button does nothing. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. Is it possible that some relays are dead? Or perhaps the alarm module?

Another problem is that it won't accelerate above about 5800-6000rpm. I've only tried this in 3rd but it just stops accelerating when it gets there and I know it should go higher because a friend has exactly the same car and it does. I was thinking it might be the fuel or air filter, or perhaps something to do with ignition.

Thanks

Matt

Hello,

I recently bought a Mk4 Fiesta and I've found a few problems. Firstly, the remote locking doesn't work, I checked the receiver above the rear view mirror with a multimeter and it's not getting any power. And I don't know what could be wrong with that. The previous owner seems to have cut off and removed the door switches, the ones that make the interior light go on and off, so that could be related. Also the boot release button does nothing. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. Is it possible that some relays are dead? Or perhaps the alarm module?

Another problem is that it won't accelerate above about 5800-6000rpm. I've only tried this in 3rd but it just stops accelerating when it gets there and I know it should go higher because a friend has exactly the same car and it does. I was thinking it might be the fuel or air filter, or perhaps something to do with ignition.

Thanks

Matt

remote wont work if the door contacts are missing car doesnt know the doors open or closed the remote locking wont work with these missing nor alarm boot release not working possibly linked to why the door switches were removed and not revving above 6k could be fuel filter injectors many things though its not advisable to rev beyond the redline anyway

May get new door switches then but if there's no power going to the infra-red receiver it shouldn't make and difference anyway will it? I have now changed the fuel filter, it didn't make any difference. I've done a little research and was thinking maybe it's the MAf? If that was dirty or broken wouldn't that cause the ECU to limit revs?

I wasn't aware there was a specific redline, my friend's seems perfectly happy to rev all the way to 7000ish.

It is a 1996 Ghia 1.25l that I have by the way.

May get new door switches then but if there's no power going to the infra-red receiver it shouldn't make and difference anyway will it? I have now changed the fuel filter, it didn't make any difference. I've done a little research and was thinking maybe it's the MAf? If that was dirty or broken wouldn't that cause the ECU to limit revs?

I wasn't aware there was a specific redline, my friend's seems perfectly happy to rev all the way to 7000ish.

It is a 1996 Ghia 1.25l that I have by the way.

if you want to save money instaed of replacing parts get it booked in for diagnostics it may cost 70 quid ish but its better than replacing parts that make no difference the electrics will be a nightmare no point icing it over the only place to start is to put it back the way it should be and go from there personally i would have walked away from it mate

Wasn't my choice, my parent bought it for me to learn in.

I'm trying to find out what's wrong with it so it can be fixed before I buy it off them. If they won't/can't fix it, then I may as well just buy a different one and they can sell this one.

Wasn't my choice, my parent bought it for me to learn in.

I'm trying to find out what's wrong with it so it can be fixed before I buy it off them. If they won't/can't fix it, then I may as well just buy a different one and they can sell this one.

problem is most people who come to buy fords know what top look for and you may have a lot of trouble selling it its clearlyu a wiring issue but unfortunately that can be the worst job of all to tackle and in truth without wiring everything back up the way it should be its almost impossible to tell what if anything is wrong with it iot all depends on how knowledgable you are with wiring

first job is to get power back to the transmitter then rewire the door sensors and go from there

Got bored today, went and sat in the car. I found a draw underneath the passenger seat I didn't realise was there, inside was a central and remote locking/alarm control assembly :D. A quick look on the internet told me where it was meant to be, there was nothing there, just the plugs that were meant to be in it. So I plugged it in. Boot release worked straight away. So I was happy about that. Then I started the alarm test sequence by activating the bonnet open switch 8 times within 10 seconds. And went through all the possible test scenarios, which showed me that all the systems were working fine, it even recognised that it had a remote control now. So I proceeded to program the key as per the car's instruction manual and now everything works fine, remote locking, double locking, boot release. The missing door switches don't seem to be a problem, it still recognised that the doors were being opened and closed during the tests I did so there must be other door switches.

Anyway, all good now, apart from the engine thing, I'll see if anyone can help on the Fiesta Zetec owners forums

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club