Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 1.4 Tdci [70] Engine Anyone?

Speedo Gonzales

Hi,

Looking to buy a 1.4 Diesel and I see there are two versions of this.

The first one is the one we all know and love, but the second one is new since Aug 2010 and is uprated to 70ps.

The specs I can find are:

TDCi 68ps...........................TDCi 70ps

EC Extra Urban (mpg) 80.7...........EC Extra Urban (mpg) 76.4

EC Urban (mpg) 53.3.................EC Urban (mpg) 61.4

110 g/km............................107 g/km

Stage IV............................Stage V

0-60 14.9sec........................0-60 ????

Anyone know what the 0-60 is on the new one?

I haven't seen anything much about it so wondered if anyone has some inside info?

Thanks,

Darren

Hi,

Looking to buy a 1.4 Diesel and I see there are two versions of this.

The first one is the one we all know and love, but the second one is new since Aug 2010 and is uprated to 70ps.

The specs I can find are:

TDCi 68ps...........................TDCi 70ps

EC Extra Urban (mpg) 80.7...........EC Extra Urban (mpg) 76.4

EC Urban (mpg) 53.3.................EC Urban (mpg) 61.4

110 g/km............................107 g/km

Stage IV............................Stage V

0-60 14.9sec........................0-60 ????

Anyone know what the 0-60 is on the new one?

I haven't seen anything much about it so wondered if anyone has some inside info?

Thanks,

Darren

Not really sure what "inside info " you are looking for.

When the stage 4 engine stock runs out,all cars will have stage 5,its not an ongoing option to have either or.

The engine isnt being fitted at the factory till mid August,so will be Mid September before any hit the uk roads.

If you are buying a 1.4 diesel ,I wouldnt have thought 0-60 would have been your biggest concern, anyway its likely to be within 0.2 secs of the stage 4 .

The biggest difference seems to be the stage 5 has a DPF filter,many people are expressing concern about these (see pug,citroen,focus or volvo diesel forums),as the liquid in them needs to be topped up with Eolis (sp?)fluid at the 37.5 k service ,at a cost of £150-200 .

At service 6 the unit needs to be replaced at 75000 miles ,at a cost of £500

Dave

on the new 1.6 tdci there is no fluid, it is self regeneratingso i assume that this is the same for the 1.4, we wont know 100% till it comes out and we see one though

on the new 1.6 tdci there is no fluid, it is self regeneratingso i assume that this is the same for the 1.4, we wont know 100% till it comes out and we see one though

Hi Fordpartsman

Does the 1.6 focus tdci have the fluid or is that self regen as well,im looking at getting one,but am a bit worried by all these stories of expensive fluid changes

Dave

Cheers for feedback all.

Was interested in 0-60 as I can't decide between the 1.4D and the 1.6D.

If it had improved by anything worthwhile I'd go for the 1.4D again.

I took a mk7 1.4 petrol out for a test this week but it felt more sluggish then the mk6 1.4D we already have.

Couldn't explain it but trying to get up to 60 on a dual carriageway seemed to take an age with 3 in the car.

Still can't decide on the engine and I want to get one ordered pretty pronto.

Even as I'm typing I'm leaning towards the 1.6D. I don't 'need' it but would 'like' the extra oomph, but does it justify the extra cost...

Hmmm. Need to think it over a bit longer I reckon 'cos I don't want any regrets after I've bought one.

Thinking about the costs you mentioned for the 37.5k and sevice 6, the costs might come down over the next few years, so by the time I hit those services they could be cheaper.

ANYWAY!

Ta for the thoughts.

It will feel sluggish

the 1.4 tdci has loads more torque and it is turbocharged.

But because it has 4 inlets and 4 exhaust valves it gets rather asthmatic at higher revs.

Jamie

I've just bought a 1.4 petrol, performance is adequate but wish I'd tried the 1.6 diesel, if I was going for a diesel it would defo be the 1.6, 20 or so extra ponies and more torque, mpg can't be far off.The diesels are really quiet so not much of a compromise, not sure if it's true but the salesperson told me I'd have to drive 33,000 miles to get my money back on a diesel, could be trying to flog the petrol of course. Very happy with the petrol, 34mpg much better then 15 with the Volvo but I reckon I'd get nearer 45 with the diesel for no real drop in performance, chippable too.

I've just bought a 1.4 petrol, performance is adequate but wish I'd tried the 1.6 diesel, if I was going for a diesel it would defo be the 1.6, 20 or so extra ponies and more torque, mpg can't be far off.The diesels are really quiet so not much of a compromise, not sure if it's true but the salesperson told me I'd have to drive 33,000 miles to get my money back on a diesel, could be trying to flog the petrol of course. Very happy with the petrol, 34mpg much better then 15 with the Volvo but I reckon I'd get nearer 45 with the diesel for no real drop in performance, chippable too.

the sales person said that to me when i got my 1.4 tdci , dont understand that really as i feel ive saved a ton compared to my old petrol car?

Speedo Gonzales - had to make the same decision myself recently and in the end i managed to haggle the sales guy down and got the 1.6 for just £400 more than the 1.4... Also the additional premium you pay for a diesel is saved in fuel and tax and then added to the resale value over the petrol equiv. Forget whether you do the necessary mpg... I'd buy it just for the extra torque. Roll on the 1st Sep...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club