Do Not Sell My Personal Information

can anyone help?

neil24

i've got a 2001 1.8 zetec tddi and theirs a odd noise coming from where all the belts are on the right side of the engine. it seems to drives fine. when the car is still you can just make out the noise and it gets louder when i'm driving. anyones thoughts on what it is would be greatful.

cheers neil

i've got a 2001 1.8 zetec tddi and theirs a odd noise coming from where all the belts are on the right side of the engine. it seems to drives fine. when the car is still you can just make out the noise and it gets louder when i'm driving. anyones thoughts on what it is would be greatful.

cheers neil

define "odd noise" ...what does it sound like, how loud is it? It could be the belts are slipping slightly, drip a small amount of water on the belt while the engines running and see if the noise vanishes, if so then the belts are dry and you probably need new ones? who knows, give more info please! ( i know that sounds arrogant but weird noise could mean anything )

define "odd noise" ...what does it sound like, how loud is it? It could be the belts are slipping slightly, drip a small amount of water on the belt while the engines running and see if the noise vanishes, if so then the belts are dry and you probably need new ones? who knows, give more info please! ( i know that sounds arrogant but weird noise could mean anything )

its hard 2 say but its like somethings turning and its like a squeaking noise, i doesn't get that loud its more of a constant noise when i'm driving. i had a mr2 before my focus and the fan belt was slipping but it dont sound it that. it was my dads car before i know he had the cam belt changed but i also know that he changed it himself.

its hard 2 say but its like somethings turning and its like a squeaking noise, i doesn't get that loud its more of a constant noise when i'm driving. i had a mr2 before my focus and the fan belt was slipping but it dont sound it that. it was my dads car before i know he had the cam belt changed but i also know that he changed it himself.

sounds like possibly a dry alternator bearing, i used to spray wd40 onto mine when i had a cavalier, probably not the best thing to do but it stopped the squeeking. Sometimes the belts get dusty and it dries them out then they start cracking.

sounds like possibly a dry alternator bearing, i used to spray wd40 onto mine when i had a cavalier, probably not the best thing to do but it stopped the squeeking. Sometimes the belts get dusty and it dries them out then they start cracking.

thanks mate i'll try it

• 2 weeks later...

Best way to tell is to take off auxillary/alternator belt and chack for roughness in all pulleys, except crank unless you are super strong. Ive seen auxillary belts snap taking the timing belts with them. Very expensive! On the subject, does anyone have a file pdf or any that shows the timining marks for the focus tdci 1.8 (and tips if possible) does it have a seperate inj pump belt? Cheers, Chris.

Best way to tell is to take off auxillary/alternator belt and chack for roughness in all pulleys, except crank unless you are super strong. Ive seen auxillary belts snap taking the timing belts with them. Very expensive! On the subject, does anyone have a file pdf or any that shows the timining marks for the focus tdci 1.8 (and tips if possible) does it have a seperate inj pump belt? Cheers, Chris.

Is the squeak engine speed related? ie, in neutral rev the engine, does it affect the noise or is it vehicle speed related?

Ok, last edit i promise, make sure its not the timing/cam belt tensioner/ idler as if they sieze or collapse you may as well get a new engine!

Hi,

It could be the water pump on the way out. We have just changed my sons pump on his 1.6 focus. It has been making a rough /groaning sort of noise for the past month or so. The bearing finally gave up a few days ago.

As suggested above, try removing the Aux belt and turn the pulleys by hand, you should feel or hear which one is giving problems.

John