Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaky Ford Focus On Eibach Springs

stevewright

i have a 2007 ford focus, 1.8 tdci and a few months ago got it lowered on Eibach pro sport lowering springs.

the car has the standard shocks.

recently, its been making a creaking noise towards the front passenger side, and tapping noise when i go over speed bumps.

Ive been told by one mechanic that the springs are to short for the shocks, the standard shocks arent good enough, the springs are the wrong ones, they dont fit correctly etc, and another mechanic that the springs look like the end had broken of them, but when ive spoken to Eibach and checked the part numbers they are the correct springs for the car, and are designed for use with the stock shocks.

the car has done 49000 miles so the shocks should be ok, and the link rods for the anti roll bar are ok, but yet the car sounds like a creaky banger :(

has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone advise?

thanks

steve

i have a 2007 ford focus, 1.8 tdci and a few months ago got it lowered on eibach pro sport lowering springs.

the car has the standard shocks.

recently, its been making a creaking noise towards the front passenger side, and tapping noise when i go over speed bumps.

Ive been told by one mechanic that the springs are to short for the shocks, the standard shocks arent good enough, the springs are the wrong ones, they dont fit correctly etc, and another mechanic that the springs look like the end had broken of them, but when ive spoken to eibach and checked the part numbers they are the correct springs for the car, and are designed for use with the stock shocks.

the car has done 49000 miles so the shocks should be ok, and the link rods for the anti roll bar are ok, but yet the car sounds like a creaky banger :(

has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone advise?

thanks

steve

they are meant to fit with the standard shocks in fact ford recommend them as replacement springs if they are being stated as too short by the mechanic why wasnt it picked up when they were fitted did they give you the ruight springs for sure to fit a diesel focus not a petrol and not a zetec? i would call Eibach and double check there hasnt been a mixup then get a mechanic to check them if they say they are too short tell Eibach that if they are broken then replacements aree needed they either arent fitted right or they are the wrong ones was the rubber isolator refitted when the springs wre done without theat there will be a gap and the spring will be loose there would have been one on the original springs it should have been fitted to the new springs

ive checked the part number directly of the spring itself, and confirmed with Eibach that they are the correct springs for the diesel.

prob is, it was a mate (he is a mechanic) who got the springs of a mate.... thus i dont have the receipt, which im quite upset about (Eibach wont honour a warrenty claim without the receipt) theres no rubber isolater on the old springs, so it must have been fitted to the new ones.

prob is im getting conflicting information, each new mechanic that looks at it tells me something different, and Eibach are confirming they are they correct springs for the car.

i dont really want to spend hundreds of pounds on labour getting another garage to dismantle the whole front suspension, to tell me the same thing again. Also thinking even if i replaced the front shocks, ill prob still have the same prob as it seems to be the springs.

ive checked the part number directly of the spring itself, and confirmed with eibach that they are the correct springs for the diesel.

prob is, it was a mate (he is a mechanic) who got the springs of a mate.... thus i dont have the receipt, which im quite upset about (eibach wont honour a warrenty claim without the receipt) theres no rubber isolater on the old springs, so it must have been fitted to the new ones.

prob is im getting conflicting information, each new mechanic that looks at it tells me something different, and eibach are confirming they are they correct springs for the car.

i dont really want to spend hundreds of pounds on labour getting another garage to dismantle the whole front suspension, to tell me the same thing again. Also thinking even if i replaced the front shocks, ill prob still have the same prob as it seems to be the springs.

okay all 4 springs have been changed yes fron and rear? if only the front then theres youre issue you need all 4 done

if all 4 are done then on the rears they have the isolator the fronts would either be not fitted correctly or they are snapped as stated do you know they are genuine Eibach springs there are fakes out there that look identical even the part numbers... but are cheap and nasty a mate got them from a mate no offence but when it comes to making cash mates dont exist for that 5 minutes.

changing the shocks as you say will likely make no difference if the shock was worn it would sit lower not higher up to get conflicting info the mechanics aint worth there salt take it into ford and explain you had the springs done they make a noise and youre concerned its not safe and youll get youre answer i bet even kwik fit could give you an answer

Hi stevewright,

This isn't related to your question, but it would be great to know what you paid for the springs and if you or someone else fitted them? If you fitted them, is it an easy job, and if someone else did, how much did it cost?

Thanks.

thanks for the responses...

the car was fitted with the full set, ie all 4 springs.

theyre not fakes, as ive got the original Eibach box with the proper part numbers etc, which i have confirmed with Eibach themselves.

Ive got the car booked in on tuesday for an Eibach dealer to have a look at them. I find it hard to believe though that both front springs could have snapped?

regards to fitting, i think the eibach pro kit springs are around £140, my mates a mechanic so he fitted them for nothing.

biggest cost is usually the fitting, your talking about 3-4 hrs work, which as some garages can charge up to £70 an hr really mounts up

one more thing... i did go to a ford dealer first. they were more worried arguing with me before they even looked at the car that 17inch wheels are too big for the focus....

this remark combined with charging £45 to scratch theyre !Removed! and walk round the car to have a look left me walking out

one more thing... i did go to a ford dealer first. they were more worried arguing with me before they even looked at the car that 17inch wheels are too big for the focus....

this remark combined with charging £45 to scratch theyre !Removed! and walk round the car to have a look left me walking out

easy tiger no ones arguing with you were just trying to help i find it hard to believe both fronts snapped as well unless they were faulty or not fitted right i have to admit im a bit stumped it isnt unheard of for springs to snaop sometimes a fault when manufacturing c an cause it

im stumped myself over it. i was convinced the springs had been mixed up, ie springs for the petrol and not the diesel but they seem to check out.

im stumped myself over it. i was convinced the springs had been mixed up, ie springs for the petrol and not the diesel but they seem to check out.

i have to say ive never heard of it before Eibach are a quality make even ford sells the springs as a genuine upgrade for all focuses i had thought that they were mixed up or just the wrong ones doesnt really make sense the Eibach guys will find the problem i tried googling but couldnt find any with the same issue let us know what the Eibach guys say when theyve had a look would be interesting to find out just what the heck it is

ok, car was checked over and driven today.

springs are fine, not an Eibach problem, but they cant find what the problem is!

shocks seem ok, roll bar and connecting rods ok, but yet its still making this terrible noise.

suggestion is to replace the shocks and see what happens, but im gona have a big bill to do that, with no gurantees its gona make any difference !

Maybe just creaks and bangs from it being a stiffer ride?

if the shocks aint worn then replacing them will make no difference mate all i can suggest is spray some white grease right up in the spring thats it other thamn living with it spoke to a guy the day who has eibachs on his foci and he said his made that noise the creaking for about 3 months till they wore a bit he still gets a mild clunk though

thanks for the replies.

prob is the springs have been on there now for about 4 months now, and its gettting worse not better.

its only coming from the passenger side. I just dont get it.IVe had 4 mechanics now look at it, 2 of them drove the car and said the noise is terrible, but not one can actually find whats wrong with it. Im not a mechanic myself, but surely theres only a handful of parts and linkages that it could be?

The only suggestion has been that at 50000 miles the shocks are prob half way through their life at least, and by lowering the car its put extra strain on them. but no one can tell me by spending £500+ by time i buy replacement shocks and fitment, that its gona make any different.

:(

If you still have original springs try putting them back on and see if noise dissapears?

Im out of idea, i have just fitted Eibach -35mm to my Fiesta and have no problems atall.

only problem is the cost for labour... around 3 hrs work to change the springs, and at £72 an hr for garages in and around london, it aint cheap

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club