Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Light On

andyjw

Hi

I have a 2004 1.6 TDCi that I've owned since April 2009. Up until recently, very happy.

About 4 weeks ago, the battery light came on when my Wife was driving. I checked all connections, it went off, never came back on, great (I thought....).

We went away on holiday last week, after 50 - 55 miles, the light came on again. Pulled over, checked all connections, but it kept coming on after a few miles until we turned it off.

Once there, we left the car for a few hours. That week, we did 350 miles, in trips of up to 50 miles at a time and no light. I bought a multimeter the day we got there and kept a track of what was happening daily. In the evenings, it was showing around 12.4 volts, then in the mornings, this had dropped by 0.25 - 0.35 volts, showing about 12.15 average.

On the way home, the same happened as when we were on the way down.

I have done some research, including this forum and have come across varying remedies ranging from changing the relay that controls the heated rear window (I had just used this before the light came on last week), to a new battery, new alternator, and in some cases people still hadn't cured the fault after doing all of these.

Can anyone point me in a suitable direction (not the Ford dealer please...I can't afford to pay that sort of money).

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Andy

i would say the battery

on its way out how long has it been on the car

:(

It has been on since new, so over 6 years old now.

What I can't understand though, is how this would put the battery light on after quite a few miles? I would have expected the light on when the battery was at it's worst (just after start up).

agree with dezwez it is most likly the battery and would be the first thing to get checked,if the battery is ok there is some good info on testing the ford smartcharge system here.

http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/ford_focus_alternator_smart_charging.htm

what is the voltage with the engine running?

With engine running around 13.8 - 13.9 Volts

With engine running around 13.8 - 13.9 Volts

With the heavy load units on (H/Lights, rear screen etc) & engine at around 2000 you ought to have around 14½ V across the battery. Has the alternator ever been changed because if not then I'd suspect it not giving full output

• 2 weeks later...

With the heavy load units on (H/Lights, rear screen etc) & engine at around 2000 you ought to have around 14½ V across the battery. Has the alternator ever been changed because if not then I'd suspect it not giving full output

the battery can make a difference if its a lead battery it can cause electrical faults it could be a faulty cell which will show up m as the battery is trying to charge so suspect the battery first many garages will do it for free if the battery is okay have the alternator tested it may need new brushes which is far cheaper than a new alternator also check the wiring to the alternator

• 1 month later...

sounds like battery to me.

the cells are not holding the charge properly when the altinator is giving it charge as one of the cells has

had it m8

i would get a new battery

try here m8 £45.00 inc postage & quick delivery

http://www.advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club