Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Mass Flywheel Or Pulley/tensioner?

Bill Badger

My 2005 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi emits a groaning noise when letting the clutch out. In addition, there is vibration coming through the clutch pedal, most noticeably at about 1200rpm in the lowest gears. I initially had the problem diagnosed as being the pulley/tensioner assembly, with the garage saying that they 'just get noisier but I may as well have it done when serviced in a couple of thousand miles'. However, I'm concerned that it may be the dual mass flywheel (DMF). Once going, the car is as good as ever, but I'm worried that something might fail causing more damage than if I were to have it fixed now.

Incidentally, the mileage is 61,000, so in general Mondeo terms, it's hardly run in yet!

Any suggestions?

it does sound like the dmf, if it was the belt and tensioner you would see the belt flapping and the noise would dissapear at 1000 revs,also the belt would not be felt through the clutch pedal.

it does sound like the dmf, if it was the belt and tensioner you would see the belt flapping and the noise would dissapear at 1000 revs,also the belt would not be felt through the clutch pedal.

Thanks for your comment. If the actual pulley was at fault, could that cause the vibration problem? Just thinking of the low revs and the load on the car at the time of the vibration. That said, it could of course be both, because thinking about it, a generally moaning noise started at around tickover speed some months ago. Only recently has the additional groaning started. This is mainly at pretty much tickover speed as well, but as the car takes up the drive.

with the engine running at tickover and the car in neutral,does it sound like a drumming noise?, raise the engine speed to 1000, does the noise dissapear?

with the engine running at tickover and the car in neutral,does it sound like a drumming noise?, raise the engine speed to 1000, does the noise dissapear?

Yes and yes! However, the groaning noise when releasing the clutch is also noticeable at the same engine speeds. As a guide, my drive is on a very slight upward slope, and when parking, I have to get close to my wife's car in front. Because of the great torque from the engine, I don't touch the throttle, but just let the clutch out slightly when parking, and so the revs are always hovering around the 800-1000 mark. This then initiates the groaning noise. Furthermore, at similar engine speeds (particularly in first or second gear), there is some vibration coming through the clutch pedal at around the time that my foot is in contact with the pedal ready to depress it.

Hope this makes sense!

• 3 weeks later...

An update......

A new pulley kit sorted some of the noise..... The rest was sorted with a new Dual Mass Flywheel - Ouch!

Total bill not yet known, but the car was also serviced at the same time. In addition to the above, a new clutch and slave cylinder was also fitted, and also a new starter motor (not really faulty, but teeth a little worn).

Car now like new again.

Also shown the old air and pollen filters with a comment that they hadn't been changed for ages, despite regular servicing at the correct intervals. I won't be taking it to David Ross in Cannock again.......

• 3 months later...

can someone tell me if its good to change from a dual mass flywheel to a solid flywheel on a mondeo

I was advised not to because it can make the engine seem rough in comparison. In addition, the flywheel acts as a buffer and so helps reduce sudden shocks from being transmitted through the engine and gearbox.

However, I was informed that it a reasonable option for vans which may suffer more abuse.

• 4 weeks later...

An update......

A new pulley kit sorted some of the noise..... The rest was sorted with a new Dual Mass Flywheel - Ouch!

Total bill not yet known, but the car was also serviced at the same time. In addition to the above, a new clutch and slave cylinder was also fitted, and also a new starter motor (not really faulty, but teeth a little worn).

Car now like new again.

Also shown the old air and pollen filters with a comment that they hadn't been changed for ages, despite regular servicing at the correct intervals. I won't be taking it to David Ross in Cannock again.......

Bill

Did you get the bill yet? I have the same symptoms with my TDCi 130 - vibration in clutch pedal and intermitant starter motor failure, which I'm told is classic for DMF problems. Mine is 53 plate and 62k miles.

The garage reckons arround £850+ for a replacment clutch, flywheel and starter.

Bill

Did you get the bill yet? I have the same symptoms with my TDCi 130 - vibration in clutch pedal and intermitant starter motor failure, which I'm told is classic for DMF problems. Mine is 53 plate and 62k miles.

The garage reckons arround £850+ for a replacment clutch, flywheel and starter.

Monty,

I hope you're sitting down.......... £1600 give or take £50. For this, I got a new clutch, DMF, starter, heavy duty tensioner kit (I think the Transit tensioner is used instead), plus a full service. Ford parts were used. A lot of money but it cured the problem.

However..... I now have other problems looming - The engine sounds like a bag of nails when pulling away at low revs. Pulling at low revs has always been one of the car's great points, having terrific torque. However, the sound is awful at times, and sounds like pinking. Great once moving, but driving around town or car parks gets some strange looks. I have heard other TDCI Mondeos sounding the same, but that doesn't make it any better. I suspect the injectors need either resetting or replacing, but I've heard they are about £140 each, so I hope it's the former not the latter option!

I also have what sounds like a wheel bearing starting to moan at about 80mph (indicated officer, honestly!). This is annoying because it is the optimum motorway speed in 6th gear. Unfortunately, only I can hear it, probably because as the driver, I'm used to the normal day to day noises, and so notice the change.