Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 2005-Oil in expansion tank of coolant liquid

JoseFR

Hi guys,

Yersterday when running no heating and when stationary an unpleasant smell. At home I opened the cowl and found an oil mixture all over the expansion tank. No overheating, and almost no oil level.

I'm thinking of the oil/cooler exchanger because I don't have any trace on the oil filler cap... Do you think it's possible or a head gasket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

José

Capture d'écran 2024-03-14 200942.png

• Sad 1

That looks a bit much for the oil cooler tbh.  Wouldn't be surprised if the head or block was cracked.

oil cooler should be easy enough to remove & test though so might as well start with that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks TomsFocus, It's true that it's a bit much, but wouldn't there have been warning symptoms before for head or block cracked ?

13 hours ago, JoseFR said:

Thanks TomsFocus, It's true that it's a bit much, but wouldn't there have been warning symptoms before for head or block cracked ?

Not necessarily.  As soon as a crack appears on the high pressure side oil will be forced through it.  oil is under higher pressure than coolant on the way up to the head so will generally go into coolant rather than coolant into oil for a 'small' hole between the two.

However, since posting that last night, I have also realised that the oil cooler is immediately after the oil pressure switch, which is immediately after the oil pump, so your theory about the oil cooler is looking more likely now.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your answers.
Another detail for me happened when I turned on the heating, it started to provide hot air then nothing.

14 hours ago, JoseFR said:

Thank you for your answers.
Another detail for me happened when I turned on the heating, it started to provide hot air then nothing.

The heater matrix will be full of oil by now.  The whole system including heater matrix, radiator, hoses and engine block will all need flushing out thoroughly using a strong detergent to break down the oil.

Yes, I meant when something happened before I noticed the oil in the tank. i had ride approx 15 miles like this.

1 hour ago, JoseFR said:

Yes, I meant when something happened before I noticed the oil in the tank. i had ride approx 15 miles like this.

Oh.  In that case, there may have been a large airlock in the cooling system due to a water leak.  That creates hotspots in the engine which is where cracks or warps or blown gaskets tend to occur.

It doesn't really matter what the cause was.  Now the best thing to do is to pressurise the cooling system (using an external hand pump) to see where the coolant is forced out.  If you remove the oil cooler first, but leave it plumbed in to the water pipes.  You will see if the coolant is forced out through the oil side.  Obviously don't run the engine with the oil cooler removed.  Only use a hand pump on the coolant tank.

having nothing to test the cooling circuit, I will think about how to do it... (maybe the ezebleed for the brakes would work)
On the other hand I think having already changed just the oil radiator, there is no pipes it's just a flat surface with joints. If I remove the oil filter and see coolant would it be the same thing?

thanks for your help !

• Like 1

If you can drag it to a garage you trust. They can test fully, then you'll have options .....

1. Fix it, cost dependant

2. New Engine or s/hand

3. Scrapyard job

4. Break for parts if you have storage room.

14 minutes ago, JoseFR said:

having nothing to test the cooling circuit, I will think about how to do it... (maybe the ezebleed for the brakes would work)
On the other hand I think having already changed just the oil radiator, there is no pipes it's just a flat surface with joints. If I remove the oil filter and see coolant would it be the same thing?

thanks for your help !

Ah, you're half right.  There is only one coolant pipe on these filter/cooler assemblies.  (Top of picture here).  The other coolant hole is on the flat surface.  That does make testing more difficult.  But it also means that the rubber gaskets behind the oil filter housing could fail and cause the symptoms you're having as well as the main cooler block.  I would want to remove this whole assembly myself.

Oil Cooler With Filter Housing for Ford Mazda Peugeot Suzuki Volvo New - Picture 3 of 4

Yes, the Eezibleed for the brakes may work as long as you can get a tight seal around the cap.  Remove some oil/coolant mix from the tank first so that the Eezibleed doesn't get contaminated by it.  Leave as much as you can though, the less air in the tank, the greater the pressure will be.

Depending on which side of the filter/cooler the leak is, it may not show up just by removing the filter.  Though you are welcome to try it and see.

Hi Jimpster, fore sure it would be simpler, but the cost compared to the age of the car is not worth it. Since I'm tinkering a bit I'd prefer to do it alone.

Hi TomsFocus, ok thanks, I'm already going to try to wash the dirtiest, and test with the Eezibleed or just the pressure of the garder hose water perhaps... 

• Like 1

It's me again, a question crosses my mind, know where I can find document or other to know in which port the oil or the coolant is supposed to be? 

19 minutes ago, JoseFR said:

It's me again, a question crosses my mind, know where I can find document or other to know in which port the oil or the coolant is supposed to be? 

For the oil filter housing or something else?

On the picture above, I think the top two are for coolant.  The bottom 3 are for oil.  Judging from this used part.  I was also wrong about the hose before, that is for oil on these, it's the turbo oil drain pipe.

CITROEN C2 C1 207 FIESTA MK6 1.4 HDI TDCI DIESEL OIL FILTER HOUSING 9656969880 - Picture 4 of 5

You will have to drain the coolant before removing the filter housing, otherwise you'll end up with litres of that oil/coolant mix all of the floor. :unsure:

• Thanks 1

Thanks TomsFocus, As soon as I have time I'll look at it !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the moment, I have started to clean up what a massacre... Expansion tank, pipes(...) I can't imagine the state of the radiator...

• Sad 1

It’s most likely the rubber seals for the oil filter housing. If the oil in the cooling system is black then it happened very quickly as it hasn’t had the chance to turn into vinigarette yet lol. You’ll also find some coolant in the sump. oil may have a higher pressure when the engine is running but once it’s off the oil pressure goes away but the cooling system is still fully pressurised and hence then coolant will flow back the other way. Should be an easy enough job tbh, is a common problem on lots of cars. Egr coolers are another offender of a similar type.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Thanks for you answers boosted_diesel, i hope it is just seal. for the moment, i was in holidays so the car is like the beginning.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, yesterday i removal the oil filter housing but i don't see if the seal are damaged. 

What do you think ?

Thanks

1715708048592.jpg

1715708048604.jpg

replace them to be on the safe side

• Like 1

Can't see any damage there.  The fault must be elsewhere. 

• Like 1

yes, I will replace them.
I think I would replace the oil/water radiator before the head gasket as I don't remember any hot engine temperatures when this happened. I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me since it's been 2 months. the head gasket I've never done one so a little worried

• 1 month later...

hello,

I changed the gaskets at the oil-water exchanger. I rinsed it several times but there is still oil. I don't know if it's leftovers or a leak... on the other hand, I run the engine and there is no overheating, it stays within the temperature range.
I'm going to remove the thermostat to check if it is blocked by the oil mixture, what do you think?

Thanks

any mayonaise in the oil filler cap ?

To how many Newton meters are the screws on the oil filter housing tightened

1.1.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club