Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed!!!

MrrNoName

Hi everyone, i need your help.

ive noticed that when driving my 2006 1.8 focus tdci with 33,000 miles

when in high revs (3000 plus) blackish grey smoke comes out of the exhaust practially every time, this only seems to happen when at or above 3000 revs. why would this be?

if you drive it around town as you never hit 3000 revs you see no smoke at all.

maybe this is normal for a turbo diesel?? I dunno as ive never had one before. theres no loss of power it pulls very very strongly and I can definetly feel the turbo working.

if you rev it above 3000 when its in neutral theres no smoke.

thanks for any replys in advance :)

Diesel or not that's sounds way too much smoke. I read on other ford forums about excessive black smoke from diesels and 9/10 times it was a clogged EGR valve(exhaust gas recirculation). The remedy is some Wynns EGR 3 cleaner. Available from any good motor factors. You tube have some video tutorials on the procedure for cleaning the EGR valve, worth having a look at if you think your up to doing this job yourself.

Diesel or not that's sounds way too much smoke. I read on other ford forums about excessive black smoke from diesels and 9/10 times it was a clogged EGR valve(exhaust gas recirculation). The remedy is some Wynns EGR 3 cleaner. Available from any good motor factors. You tube have some video tutorials on the procedure for cleaning the EGR valve, worth having a look at if you think your up to doing this job yourself.

would this show up as a DTC?

plugged the car in today and scanned for code, NO permenent, No pending, No stored

hmm

it could be a clogged egr valve or it could just be a build up of carbon in the exhaust,most ford diesels put out smoke at high revs, try giving the car a good thrash to blow out any carbon in the exhaust to see if the situation improves.

it could be a clogged egr valve or it could just be a build up of carbon in the exhaust,most ford diesels put out smoke at high revs, try giving the car a good thrash to blow out any carbon in the exhaust to see if the situation improves.

tried that this morning with my dad driving behind me to see the smoke, did about 10 miles down the motorway. apparently it smoked visably constantly during heavy acceleration but stopped as soon as I let off the accel pedal. im guessing if it was carbon desposits they would all be blown out after 5 mins of driving?

the exhaust has lots of carbon in it (its black and u can scrape it off with yr fingers) but i thought this was normal for a diesel with no dpf?

where is the EGR valve on the 1.8 and how easy / expensive is it to clean or change? whats best to clean it with, can it be damaged when cleaning?

tried that this morning with my dad driving behind me to see the smoke, did about 10 miles down the motorway. apparently it smoked visably constantly during heavy acceleration but stopped as soon as I let off the accel pedal. im guessing if it was carbon desposits they would all be blown out after 5 mins of driving?

the exhaust has lots of carbon in it (its black and u can scrape it off with yr fingers) but i thought this was normal for a diesel with no dpf?

where is the EGR valve on the 1.8 and how easy / expensive is it to clean or change? whats best to clean it with, can it be damaged when cleaning?

It possibly wouldn't blow out all the carbon deposits depending on how much was in there. If the car is driving round town a lot then particles will accumulate and only get blown out at higher revs. 3K is high for a diesel and non dpf diesels will smoke under heavy acceleration. The fact that it is not smoking all the time will rule out problems such as injectors. With regard to it being an egr valve, are there any other symptoms such as running faults? If not then I wouldn't worry to much at this stage. As another poster has suggested, Ford diesels are known to chuck out smoke when being pushed hard.

It possibly wouldn't blow out all the carbon deposits depending on how much was in there. If the car is driving round town a lot then particles will accumulate and only get blown out at higher revs. 3K is high for a diesel and non dpf diesels will smoke under heavy acceleration. The fact that it is not smoking all the time will rule out problems such as injectors. With regard to it being an egr valve, are there any other symptoms such as running faults? If not then I wouldn't worry to much at this stage. As another poster has suggested, Ford diesels are known to chuck out smoke when being pushed hard.

thanks hillmangimp, you seem to have the same oppinion as my dad.

theres no running problems, the car goes very well. pulls very hard, does high speeds fine. the engine does seem to vibrate a little when revving it in neutral at 1500 revs, but is fine below and above 1500. not sure if thats connected though as its always done that. its been scanned for DTC using an obd2 reader and none were found. I might take it for a 100 mile trip saturday and see if its like this after because its been doing plently of short journeys recently :P

I only noticed the smoke yesterday in another cars headlights at night, you cant see it when driving during the day as the smoke is behind and low to the ground. i dont know how long its been doing this.

interesting read by Wynns on how the ERG works, and how their ERG cleaning product works [with diagram/photos/videos ]

SEE HERE

interesting read by Wynns on how the ERG works, and how their ERG cleaning product works [with diagram/photos/videos ]

SEE HERE

hmm, dunno if i like the idea of spraying something into my engine when its running, i might see if i can clean it by hand or fit a new valve? any1 know how much they are?

There's a video on youtube showing EGR cleaning, well worth a look at the procedure involved. It's in french, but you can hear and see the difference (buckets of carbon deposits)after he has used the wynns egr cleaner. Here is the

I only noticed the smoke yesterday in another cars headlights at night, you cant see it when driving during the day as the smoke is behind and low to the ground. i dont know how long its been doing this.

Oh yes, I remember the time fondly when I looked in my rear view mirror whilst overtaking on the M1 and noticing the fine dust that was coming from my car exhaust! Its more noticable at night for the reasons you describe above.

quick update.

Ive noticed that the smoke is commin out regardless of what revs the engine is at, its whenever the accelerator pedal is pressed down fairly far or the engine is climing. ive got it booked in to FORDS so they can check it out.

I really hope this is not a big problem, the engine has only done 33,000 miles :(

quick update.

Ive noticed that the smoke is commin out regardless of what revs the engine is at, its whenever the accelerator pedal is pressed down fairly far or the engine is climing. ive got it booked in to FORDS so they can check it out.

I really hope this is not a big problem, the engine has only done 33,000 miles :(

Trust me sort it yourself ford are a waste of time, mine went to ford three times it's a 09 with 20k, all they do is slightly clean it which improves it for a couple of days and the problem just comes back, they will tell you they have programmed something to sort it.

They just don't want to spend the time on it, they should give me a new egr valve under warrenty but they won't admit they are a problem.

When I get a min I am gonna give that spray ago.

If that don't work just get a friend mechanic to put me in a good quality egr valve.

Trust me sort it yourself ford are a waste of time, mine went to ford three times it's a 09 with 20k, all they do is slightly clean it which improves it for a couple of days and the problem just comes back, they will tell you they have programmed something to sort it.

They just don't want to spend the time on it, they should give me a new egr valve under warrenty but they won't admit they are a problem.

When I get a min I am gonna give that spray ago.

If that don't work just get a friend mechanic to put me in a good quality egr valve.

slightly clean what?

are u having the same problem? if you try the spray let me know how it goes

slightly clean what?

Your not paying attention are you :D

slightly clean what?

are u having the same problem? if you try the spray let me know how it goes

They just slightly clean the egr valve, yea got the same problem and the car shuddering

lol catch :lol:

cnt they just put a new one on? how much is that lol?

could it be a bad injector overfueling, heard this can cause these symptoms too?

Brought some of the wynns egr cleaner today only £6 well worth a go, gonna use it one night this week I will let you know if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

yeh ok cool.

the car went to fords last week about the smoking issue. ford couldent find anything wrong with the engine and said diesels (esp without dpf's) do smoke and it was noticable but within limits.

they updated the PCM as there was an update available but its still the same :P

basically they couldent find anything wrong lol

I have recently used Wynns EGR cleaned after hearing good reviews on here and the net and i can say it really does the job well, ok its never going to be as effective as taking off the EGR valve and cleaning it by hand but its still a great product and well worth doing. I have decided to use this once a year as part of the car's service.

I have recently used Wynns EGR cleaned after hearing good reviews on here and the net and i can say it really does the job well, ok its never going to be as effective as taking off the EGR valve and cleaning it by hand but its still a great product and well worth doing. I have decided to use this once a year as part of the car's service.

Yea same as I am proberly gonna do it every six months seems it's so cheap and easy to do.

yeh ok cool.

the car went to fords last week about the smoking issue. ford couldent find anything wrong with the engine and said diesels (esp without dpf's) do smoke and it was noticable but within limits.

they updated the PCM as there was an update available but its still the same :P

basically they couldent find anything wrong lol

Don't wanna say it but told you so, they are hopeless really. As I said before my car went in three times and they kept saying there was no problem, brought that wynns stuff and it sorted it, just can't understand why they as mechanics can't do something the same.

Don't wanna say it but told you so, they are hopeless really. As I said before my car went in three times and they kept saying there was no problem, brought that wynns stuff and it sorted it, just can't understand why they as mechanics can't do something the same.

how do you use the wynns stuff? anyone done it on the 1.8tdci? what do i have to take apart to spray it in?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club