Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt Intervals

APJ

Hi guys.......have just bought my first ford....a 2005 2.0TDCI Focus Titanium Saloon. its got 88k on the clock and has been well looked after. Eveything about it seems perfect and im really happy with. I just wanted to know at what intervals should the CAM belt be changed? cant seem to find a definitve answer on the net??

cheers

Every 10 years or 100k kilometers. That interval seems too long in my opinion. I changed mine at 90k. If it has a timing belt and was changed it should have the a mark on the timing belt cover, usually in tipex saying when it was done. The garage where you purchased from should know when it was done.

Every 10 years or 100k kilometers. That interval seems too long in my opinion. I changed mine at 90k. If it has a timing belt and was changed it should have the a mark on the timing belt cover, usually in tipex saying when it was done. The garage where you purchased from should know when it was done.

Hi mate, cheers for the info. So if it hasnt been changed i should get it changed before it hits 100k mark or ASAP really?

The timing belt is the same thing as a cam belt isnt it?? I bought the car second hand from a private seller and I went through all its service receipts lastnight and saw no mention of cam belt/timing belt change.

It's MOT is due at the end of Oct......would the cam belt/timing belt be inspected during an MOT??

A timing belt is the same as a cam belt, and according to ford should be changed at 100,000 MILES or 10 years.

HAYNES however recommend that the belt should be changed at 70,000 miles because if the belt snaps it will most likely cause catastrophic engine failure. The cam belts condition IS NOT checked during the MOT. when the cambelt is changed ensure that the pullys and tensioners are also changed as it is usually the tensioner that goes snapping the belt

A timing belt is the same as a cam belt, and according to ford should be changed at 100,000 MILES or 10 years.

HAYNES however recommend that the belt should be changed at 70,000 miles because if the belt snaps it will most likely cause catastrophic engine failure. The cam belts condition IS NOT checked during the MOT. when the cambelt is changed ensure that the pullys and tensioners are also changed as it is usually the tensioner that goes snapping the belt

great info, thanks for this guys. Thats why i am slightly worried about it as i am aware that the whole engine would be ruined if the belt went. I think I will get it MOT at end of Oct then get the belt done directly after that. any ida of cost for a belt/tensioners/pully change on my model focus?

Also is it best for me to get Ford to do it or an independant garage? Ive heard that Ford charge a hell of a lot more than most independant garages?

great info, thanks for this guys. Thats why i am slightly worried about it as i am aware that the whole engine would be ruined if the belt went. I think I will get it MOT at end of Oct then get the belt done directly after that. any ida of cost for a belt/tensioners/pully change on my model focus?

Also is it best for me to get Ford to do it or an independant garage? Ive heard that Ford charge a hell of a lot more than most independant garages?

as far as cam belts go, i usually go by, if in doubt.. get it changed. its not worth the risk at all. providing you have a garage that you trust this should be ok. unfortinatly its going to be expensive as its a long job for a garage to do. cant give you expact prices as I dunno im afraid. a three figure sum though

as far as cam belts go, i usually go by, if in doubt.. get it changed. its not worth the risk at all. providing you have a garage that you trust this should be ok. unfortinatly its going to be expensive as its a long job for a garage to do. cant give you expact prices as I dunno im afraid. a three figure sum though

yeah definatly not worth the risk.....the car drives perfectly and i havnt detected any issues in terms of performance at all, everything seems to be in order. Its just the CAM belt plays on my mind cos i know how serious it could be if it suddenly went. I guessed it would be around £200-£300 for cam belt, pully and tensioner change....

yeah definatly not worth the risk.....the car drives perfectly and i havnt detected any issues in terms of performance at all, everything seems to be in order. Its just the CAM belt plays on my mind cos i know how serious it could be if it suddenly went. I guessed it would be around £200-£300 for cam belt, pully and tensioner change....

get it done for peace of mind mate. i wouldent hang around because theres no real advantage of getting it done after the MOT enless you think it might be a failure :P ;)

get it done for peace of mind mate. i wouldent hang around because theres no real advantage of getting it done after the MOT enless you think it might be a failure :P ;)

i paid ford 210 for a full cambelt kit thats belt tensioners idle pulley and guides new camshaft bolt and a new fan belt thats inc labour and vat an independant wanted 200 without the fan belt if ford do it they gaurantee the belt for 100k not the tensioners though independants gaurantee nothing

i paid ford 210 for a full cambelt kit thats belt tensioners idle pulley and guides new camshaft bolt and a new fan belt thats inc labour and vat an independant wanted 200 without the fan belt if ford do it they gaurantee the belt for 100k not the tensioners though independants gaurantee nothing

!Removed! hell, thats a well good price...if i can find a local'ish Ford dealer who will do it for that price id be well happy...and at least you get a gaurantee and that extra piece of mind. To be fair as long as it didnt cost over £300 i think id be ok with that.

Its common for people to get the water pump changed at the same time isnt it? suppose that will add another £50 onto the total price:-(

!Removed! hell, thats a well good price...if i can find a local'ish Ford dealer who will do it for that price id be well happy...and at least you get a gaurantee and that extra piece of mind. To be fair as long as it didnt cost over £300 i think id be ok with that.

Its common for people to get the water pump changed at the same time isnt it? suppose that will add another £50 onto the total price:-(

tghey check the pump when doing the belt however if youres is like mine the pump has nowt to do with the timing belt and is run by the fan belt meaning you dont have to get it done till its time and its about 160 quid to do the pump thermostat and fill with coolant a good price but the pumps are pretty strong so if they say its fine dont get it changed save up for later

tghey check the pump when doing the belt however if youres is like mine the pump has nowt to do with the timing belt and is run by the fan belt meaning you dont have to get it done till its time and its about 160 quid to do the pump thermostat and fill with coolant a good price but the pumps are pretty strong so if they say its fine dont get it changed save up for later

ok thanks, once again excellent info. I spoke to my mechanic thismorning and ive booked it in for its MOT on Oct 26th and he said he give it a good inspection too as i havnt actually had anyone look at it yet. It was serviced in April so everything should be in order.

I also asked him about the cam belt and he suggested get it done around 95k (im prob not gona wait till then and will get it changed before xmas this year). He also said that id probably only be able to get it changed by Ford? not that im massivly bothered wether its done by ford or independant

Well on the 1.25 Petrol Fiesta it is 11 years or 75,000 miles. However I would say 7 years or 40,000 miles is better! For a diesel the intervals are usually higher. I would get it changed along with tensioner and water pump if I were you!

Well on the 1.25 Petrol Fiesta it is 11 years or 75,000 miles. However I would say 7 years or 40,000 miles is better! For a diesel the intervals are usually higher. I would get it changed along with tensioner and water pump if I were you!

yeah im defo gona get it sorted before xmas!

id say 40,000 miles was a bit early tbh :P, ford say the 1.25 is good till 100,000 or 10 years

• 4 months later...

Have been quoted £269 for new Cam Belt & Tensioners etc on my 2005 Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium by an indy (which i have used many times before, and who seemed very good). Wonder what Ford will charge? gota be over £300 hasnt it?

Have been quoted £269 for new Cam Belt & Tensioners etc on my 2005 Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium by an indy (which i have used many times before, and who seemed very good). Wonder what Ford will charge? gota be over £300 hasnt it?

actually my locasl ford charged me 230 for tensioners belt and fan belt that was all inc vat etc

actually my locasl ford charged me 230 for tensioners belt and fan belt that was all inc vat etc

hmm interesting, i am gona try and get a quote from my local Ford garage in the next few days. maybe its slightly more as my mine is a 2005 focus?

hmm interesting, i am gona try and get a quote from my local Ford garage in the next few days. maybe its slightly more as my mine is a 2005 focus?

if its done at fords the tensioner is gauranteed for 100k or whatever the service interval is so if it fails they are liable as its a ford garage and genuine ford parts if an independant does it they sometimes dont use genuine parts and dont gaurantee the tensioner either thats the reason why i went to ford

if its done at fords the tensioner is gauranteed for 100k or whatever the service interval is so if it fails they are liable as its a ford garage and genuine ford parts

Yes that is indeed the case, so if you can get it done at a reasonable cost, it is well worth going down the Main Dealer route. And if you move it on in a private sale at a later date, it's got to add some value if you keep the invoice and pass it on to it's new owner. Even if it only adds £30 to the overall value of the car, the potential buyer will have more faith in the car, with proof of the fact it has been done by a Main dealer.

Im phoning my main Ford dealer today to see what they will quote me, will let you guys know what they say.

Also am i right in thinking that the water pump in my model Focus runs independantly from the CAM belt? ive heard that they are pretty tough and therefore doesnt necessarily need changing when the CAM belt is replaced? Most people i talk to say 'oh make sure you get the water pump changed too'?

right, spoke to my local Ford garage (Rayco Ford in Romsey) and they have quoted £225. So will go with them. Surprised the Indy was £44 more expensive.

right, spoke to my local Ford garage (Rayco Ford in Romsey) and they have quoted £225. So will go with them. Surprised the Indy was £44 more expensive.

to be fair my ford garage is usually cheaper or the same price as an indy so i always go there better still they know the cars and how to get round niggly little problems the indys usually just hash it then hope you dont notice water pump is seperate and usually gets replaced at the 20 year interval they will actually check it when doing the belt so just say if the pump needs replaced can you let me know before the belt is completed when mine was done they checked it and said the pump was fine

well they said that if i did want the water pump changed then they'd only charge me another £20 for it which seems very reasonable..........but i think i'll do what you suggested and get them to contact me if they think it needs replacing..otherwise leave it be.

Once i have it replaced (which will hopefully be early march) are there any dos and donts and things to look out for? should i take it for a long drive to get the belt settled in? or dont you really need to do that? will it feel different to drive?

You may find the engine a bit more responsive (not excessively though!) I think its always handy to run it gently for about 1000 miles (by gently, I mean dont run the first 1000 miles on a racetrack, be that street, or brands hatch! lol). This is just to ensure it beds in. Ask the garage there advice and take it with a pinch of salt!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club