Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Coil/spark Plugs Problem

chattykathyblue

I have been having continual problems with my 05 Focus Zetec stuttering, losing power, misfiring, cutting out and I'm now on my 3rd coil in 9 months!!!!! There is a constant problem with rusting around the spark plugs but the engine fluid level is stable. Have changed spark plugs, HT leads as well. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

TIA

the rusting of the plugs is a common problem on the focus and is usually caused by leaking washer jets, ford have a revised jet with a better seal,the water at the plugs could cause a short which would lead to running problems.

the rusting of the plugs is a common problem on the focus and is usually caused by leaking washer jets, ford have a revised jet with a better seal,the water at the plugs could cause a short which would lead to running problems.

i got the updated ones fitted and they will still leak and do leak though admittedly only a few drops will come through the revised set are junk best bet is to put some clear sealant around the under side of them that you can see when you open the bonnet .if you need a coil pack try these guys http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COIL-PACK-IGNITION-Focus-Mondeo-fiesta-OE-FORD-not-COPY-/390059606545?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad15d4211

i got the updated ones fitted and they will still leak and do leak though admittedly only a few drops will come through the revised set are junk best bet is to put some clear sealant around the under side of them that you can see when you open the bonnet .if you need a coil pack try these guys http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COIL-PACK-IGNITION-Focus-Mondeo-fiesta-OE-FORD-not-COPY-/390059606545?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad15d4211

Many thanks. It's a pity the two AA guys hadn't heard of this problem!!

cant agree more with that, the revised seals can/do still leak. the best option as said is silicone sealant.

I'm in the same boat with this one. I replaced the coil and ht leads today, spark plugs are less than a year old. oil and all filters have been changed. Timing and W/P has all been done in the last 12 or so months. There is no MAF sensor. The VSS sensor is ok, since the needles aren't erratic. There are no leaks from the washer jets, I have checked recently.

The car a 1.4 petrol focus is hesitant, with slow power delivery, but then it picks up on power for a few seconds before running rough again. I need to get a code reader plugged in to check for stored codes. I don't want to go throwing any more money at her until I can narrow down the search.

In the past 9 months I've had 3 sets of spark plugs and 3 coils!! I've passed on your valuable advice to my mechanic and he's used the sealant trick. He also found that the wiring from the coil to the leads was damaged. It's running sweetly now - just hope it lasts!

Thanks for the responses ;)