Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT Failure on Emissions

r.ellis7688

Hey Folks,

This is my first.... probably of many posts here - so Hi All!

About a month ago, the Fiesta (1998 1.25 Zetec) failed it's MOT on emissions, however I've spent quite a bit on it over the last year, so even though it's not worth thousands, I don't want to scrap it, plus apart from the engine, it passed with flying colours!

So, I have four options:

1) Fix it - wouldn't say I'm a full blown mechanic, but could get through it with a few swears and screams!

2) Buy a new engine - I'm in Leeds, found one in Manchester at £175 all in, but don't know the mileage, then fit it.

3) Buy another Fiesta with 12 months MOT, pull the engine out of it, throw it in mine, get it through it's MOT, then change the engines back... cough cough - obviously this is hypothetical!

4) Get the engine rebuilt - but it's £500 and really don't want to spend that much!

Anybody hit this problem before? I've heard it's quite common and a lot of them give up at 60k.... guess what, mine's done 60k!

Any help would be amazing - anyone gives me a quick fix, I'll get them a pint....... but you have to come to Leeds!

Cheers,

Richard.

you could clean the lambda sensor and make sure its not covered in gunk, if you only do short trips the engine could be choked up try taking it for an 'italian tune up' to clean it out

• Like 1

Most emmision failures are due to the lambda sensor so i would try that first

Hey Folks,

This is my first.... probably of many posts here - so Hi All!

About a month ago, the Fiesta (1998 1.25 Zetec) failed it's MOT on emissions, however I've spent quite a bit on it over the last year, so even though it's not worth thousands, I don't want to scrap it, plus apart from the engine, it passed with flying colours!

So, I have four options:

1) Fix it - wouldn't say I'm a full blown mechanic, but could get through it with a few swears and screams!

2) Buy a new engine - I'm in Leeds, found one in Manchester at £175 all in, but don't know the mileage, then fit it.

3) Buy another Fiesta with 12 months MOT, pull the engine out of it, throw it in mine, get it through it's MOT, then change the engines back... cough cough - obviously this is hypothetical!

4) Get the engine rebuilt - but it's £500 and really don't want to spend that much!

Anybody hit this problem before? I've heard it's quite common and a lot of them give up at 60k.... guess what, mine's done 60k!

Any help would be amazing - anyone gives me a quick fix, I'll get them a pint....... but you have to come to Leeds!

Cheers,

Richard.

Have you tried putting some "cleaner" into the fuel and giving it a long run before your MOT.

I just had a service on mine by a ford dealer who put some Halvoline cleaner into the fuel that supposedly lasts 6 months. The Lambda sensor as already stated is another prime suspect, my sons last peugeot failed its emissions, after a week of replacing bits with no luck it turned out to be the lambda sensor! They only last a few years and once clogged up fail

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I've just done two fuel cleans with long car runs, a service & lamba replacement, & it's made no difference to the emissions. The garage says might be the catalyctic converter but could also be something in the engine...he was convinced there weren't any holes / air leaks. My cousin said the cat looked relatively new, if the engine had problems there'd be oil leaks so he discounts that too - I barely use any oil, top up every few years, & he did the service & the spark plugs were relatively clean. He said the whole car was in good condition. He suggests that the carb might need tightening or something. He knows a fair bit about cars but doesn't have a garage & is quite far from me, I went there for the weekend, but now need to find other ideas to see what might be the problem. I can't afford to replace the cat and do carb work & do engine work, in the hope that one of them finally drops the emissions. Does anyone have any ideas please - what is most likely or are there other pointers / tips that might point to the correct solution or that I should look out for?

Thanks

You could try fitting smaller jets in the carb (if possible) and doing a tune-up and engine flush.

Check crank breather hoses aren't blocked and clear out the carbon can if you have one.

Fit hotter burning spark plugs as well.

What has it actually failed on emission wise? Could also just be the Cat's buggerd.

I would bet the cat is done for. If it has had a lot of short runs then they don't get chance to blow the water out (a byproduct) and it rusts out the internals. Also if it has over fuelled (like my wifey's Clio) then the internals have possibly burnt out. If emissions are unnaturally high, do the cat.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

DONT BUY from Fraud either, they are mental money, look up cats2u they sell cats for all cars for pretty much under a ton, Cliosport ones are currently listed at £987+VAT for some reason, insane money. and you'll need a new cat fitting kit, the bolts will be molten by now and the springs either rotten or missing making it a pig to put back on if you need to go and get one there and then, always use a new kit, plus a new clamp for centre pipe, red silicone won't go a miss either at this join, not rated to several hundred degrees C but works pretty damn well, better than that putty crap.

• Like 1

I just didn't want to go through the expense of the cat as well, if he was then going to say ok that hasn't worked now let's check the engine. It sounds like the cat is the most logical though. I do generally do short trips. What is considered a long trip to blow out water? And does speed & gears make a difference?

Thanks for your responses.

A cat will cost no more than £100, cheaper than chucking stuff like plugs, leads, cleaning chemicals which don't really work and man hours and labour etc to do it. it's the best bet, always cheaper to repair than replace.

• Like 1

It varies. I had a Vectra that just kept filling with water regardless of miles driven, others shot it out straight away.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP