Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kuga 2.0 Automatic TDCi AWD - 2010 --- DPF Dead ?

unofix

Is it time I just accept that the DPF needs to be replaced on my daughters Kuga 2010 ? (Mileage 68000)

The car has now gone in to limp mode, will not rev above 3000rpm and has the "Engine Malfunction" warning on.

Checked it out today with FORScan and it seems the soot level in the DPF is 'full' and is warning against just doing a static regen. I cleared the codes but it soon returns. Below are some screen shoots of the DTC's and the live data. Should I just replace the DPF ?

Any recommendations on replacement brands or suppliers would be welcome.  Ford finis 1869463

Kuga live 01.jpg

Kuga live 01t.jpg

Kuga live 02.jpg

Kuga live 02t.jpg

Kuga - DTC 10-07-2024 (1).txt Kuga - DTC 10-07-2024 (2).txt

• Sad 1

You could try taking it off, back flushing it, refitting then resetting the values.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

back flushing it

Yes I did think about trying that, but then if it doesn't fix the problem I'll have to do the job over again which is not something I fancy 🤣

It's strange that you are getting Implied Soot Loads so high. The Differential Pressure readings are not that bad, they are about the same as my Mk2.5 Focus when it was getting near 10 years old and It never triggered a Fault Code.

It is also strange that you are getting a Fault Code for the Pressure Sensor implausibility, the Sensor seems to be working properly.

If you want to try a Regeneration then there is a trick that works on some Engines, I don't know if it will work on your daughters Engine.

What you do is disconnect the MAF Sensor, start the Engine, which will induce a Fault Code for the MAF. Stop the Engine and clear the codes. All of them should be erased if it works on that car and maybe you can then do a Regeneration.

The other thing worth thinking about is that there are companies who will cut open the DPF and clean it out before Welding it back up. If the DPF Core has melted though it will not be serviceable and you will need a new one or maybe a Delete if that Engine can be deleted.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tizer said:

If you want to try a Regeneration then there is a trick that works on some Engines, I don't know if it will work on your daughters Engine.

I think I'll give that a try in the morning and see if I can at least keep the car running a few more weeks. I've looked at aftermarket DPF's for about £390 but it seems most are not in stock and delivery is 3 to 4 weeks. At the moment we have swapped cars as I don't do many miles and some days I don't even use the car.

• Like 1

I take it you have tried to do a forced regen using FORScan?

11 hours ago, Tizer said:

It's strange that you are getting Implied Soot Loads so high. The Differential Pressure readings are not that bad, they are about the same as my Mk2.5 Focus when it was getting near 10 years old and It never triggered a Fault Code.

Did you notice the readings are in PSI rather than kPa?  They're higher than I'd expect when converted.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Did you notice the readings are in PSI rather than kPa? 

To be honest, I hadn't noticed.

I'm going to try what John (Tizer) has suggested and see if I can get it to regen. Trying to get a replacement for under £400 but companies that claim to have them, suddenly have no stock when you actually try to place an order. 

• Like 1

MAF figures are also shown in pounds so I think you must have selected imperial measurements somewhere.  Forscan defaults to metric so we're used to seeing the DPF pressures in kPa.  Those figures looked alright to me initially, until I noticed that.

I've got a vague recollection that Mondeos won't allow a forced regen with soot load over 300%, but there's no harm in trying it after clearing the fault codes.

The DPF I bought for the Focus was from BM catalysts through an eBay supplier I think.  Though that was nearly 10 years ago now so not really relevant.  Have you tried Autodoc?  They usually have a large selection and can be searched by Ford part number.

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Did you notice the readings are in PSI rather than kPa?  They're higher than I'd expect when converted.

Oops, Thanks Tom I didn't notice that. They are very high, no wonder there are codes.

They are so high that I would suggest that Regeneration is not happening so this would need to be investigated whatever you decide to do.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club