Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pre-Arranged Servicing Plans

sparticus5

Service Plans  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Have you opted for a servicing Plan?

• Ford Protect - sold to you by Ford?
    • Sold to you by the supplying dealer?
    • Refused - will make your own servicing arrangements

I received two letters regarding the servicing of my new car today:

1: From the supplying dealer stating their 3yr Servicing Plan would cost £475. ( I assume that varies from dealer to dealer)

2: From Ford themselves, a letter which says a 2yr FordProtect Premium plan will cost £430 for 2yrs and £695 for 3yrs

Just wondering if anyone signed up to either plan?

After some careful consideration I took out a 3 year Ford Protect plan - directly with Ford, I found the details on their website - in May last year; this cost £430.65 & covers the first, second and third services plus also gives "Ford Assist" breakdown cover for years 2 & 3 (without the service plan Ford only give breakdown cover for year 1).

I've never taken out a service plan before & wondered whether this would be worth it but looking at the cost of servicing I'm sure that I did the right thing - also of course as this includes breakdown cover I've saved two years' AA membership fees, so taking that into consideration the service plan has saved me some money.

One thing to watch though - my local garage which is a "Ford approved service agent" and have a large sign outside advising punters of this (& for some months following the demise of Sheffield's main Ford dealer a couple of years ago, was the only Ford approved service facility in the whole city...) - does not honour "Ford Protect" despite carrying out warranty work etc on Ford vehicles! Hence it was a good job that I checked this with them when I was booking my car in for its first service - they advised me that I'd have to pay... So instead I booked it in to my local dealer who said "no problem" & then despite me telling them that I had the "Ford Protect" service plan when I took my car in, on collection they tried to charge me £120! Soon sorted out though.

Would definitely buy one of these plans again.

I think you have to do your own research before taking out any of these plans. Ford are charging the same labour rates in Central London as they do in Aberystwyth, Middlesborough and Inverness so I guess there'll be winners and loosers depending on where you live. Even within a radius of 30 miles, I was quoted anything from £170 to £99 from main dealers for our Focus's 1st service last year. When my local dealer learnt I was taking my car elsewhere to be serviced they simply price-matched the other garage.

Andy64, Apologies if I've picked you up wrong but you seem to imply Roadside Assistance is only included as part of Ford's service plan. That's the exact same assumption I made when I first read Ford's leaflet. However if you check out Ford's own website:

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/ServicingyourFord

Roadside Assistance is included with every service, so it's not some extra benefit if you take out a plan.

Basically it's going to cost me approx £360 which I can spread over 3yrs for exactly the same product Ford are trying to sell me for for £695 upfront - double the price, so it was an offer I declined.

there must be something else you get with the ford protect plan , there not going to charge nearly double the price?

*there is something, in the link above it only includes roadside assistance if you get 1 service (not the plan)

with ford protect you get the full package such as-

home assistance

European assistance

hire car

This is what comes up on the Roadside Assistance page on the Ford website:

Assistance – emergency assistance at the roadside

Vehicle recovery – if we can't arrange a prompt repair, we'll transport you and your vehicle to the nearest Ford Authorised Repairer

European assistance – emergency assistance in Europe

How does it work?If your vehicle breaks down, simply call us and we'll get someone out to you as fast as we can. If we're unable to fix the problem there and then, we can help you in other ways such as providing a replacement vehicle, organising costs for alternative travel to your destination or even covering hotel accommodation for you and your passengers. And if you break down in Europe and we're unable to fix your vehicle, we can arrange for it to be sent to one UK address (for example: home, work, or a Ford dealer). Ford Assistance 12 is available 24 hours a day, all year round, with just one phone call,

wherever you are in Europe*.

Ford Roadside Assistance

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club