Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 Galaxy Rear Brake Caliper Piston

Big Al

Afternoon Chaps

Mid way through replacing the rear pads on the trusty old 1999 Galaxy. Old ones off, caliper cleaned new pads ready but I cannot get the piston to compress back to make space for the thicker pads.

I have released the handbrake cable from the caliper, I have a trigger clamp on the piston and the rear of the unit, I have tried to release the bleed screw with a one man braking kit but I can't get fluid through the bleed nipple and the piston won't compress.

Any bright ideas that don't require a full strip down of the caliper etc.

Regards

from a puzzled Big Al

Just found the bit about rotating the piston cloclwise with a pair of pliers whilst pushing the piston. Piston is turning but not getting much movement back into the caliper. Any suggestions????

Afternoon Chaps

Mid way through replacing the rear pads on the trusty old 1999 Galaxy. Old ones off, caliper cleaned new pads ready but I cannot get the piston to compress back to make space for the thicker pads.

I have released the handbrake cable from the caliper, I have a trigger clamp on the piston and the rear of the unit, I have tried to release the bleed screw with a one man braking kit but I can't get fluid through the bleed nipple and the piston won't compress.

Any bright ideas that don't require a full strip down of the caliper etc.

Regards

from a puzzled Big Al

you ideally need a wind back tool, you need to turn the pistons as you push them back in

you ideally need a wind back tool, you need to turn the pistons as you push them back in

Just found a third hand and success. Thanks for the advice. On to second brake caliper now. Cheers

Just found a third hand and success. Thanks for the advice. On to second brake caliper now. Cheers

off side piston proving very difficult to retract anticipating removal of the caliper.

anybody else had a pig of a piston to retract. Think it's a job for a left hander which I'm not, with having to release the bleed nipple at the same time as turning.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club