Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8Tdci - Wooshing Noise When Accelerating

wideawakewesley

The car currently makes a whooshing noise (like a hoover) everytime I push the revs past about 2k, a bit like if you had all your heater fans turned up to max. It only happens when the car is in gear and I think it feels like the turbo isn't kicking in. The sound is definitely coming from the front, likely in the engine somewhere, but I don't have any way of putting the car "up on bricks" so to speak to rev it while stationary.

Any ideas on the problem? Also need to know if driving the car is going to make things worse, even though I'm keeping the revs low enough to avoid hearing the noise.

this is most likly a split in the large rubber hose from the egr valve, when it loses boost pressure the turbo will not spin up fully, you may also see an increase in black smoke.

this is most likly a split in the large rubber hose from the egr valve, when it loses boost pressure the turbo will not spin up fully, you may also see an increase in black smoke.

Someone else has said similar, although suggested that the hose may have come off completely as the noise is like having a hoover on. I will try and have a look later. Any idea roughly where I should be looking?

Thanks!

also check the intercooler its at the front, bottom of the radiator. unless it the older type then its on top of the engine bay

I've just had a look under the bonnet and haven't been able to find any disconnected or split pipes, but it's pretty tight in there, so I can't check every angle.

Here's a few pics of the engine, could you kind folks point me in the direction of the turbo and the intercooler on my car?

http://imgur.com/a/Y3SXB/ford_focus_18tdci_engine

the intercooler its at the front, bottom of the radiator. the turbocharger is a VNT (variable nozzle turbocharger)its at the back of engine bottom of exhuast manifold. there is a rubber pipe on the turbo inlet that gets forgoten about its hard to see.

Haynes have a manual that will cover you car "No 4807 from 2005 to 2009 (54/09)" its only £20 from Halfords..

the intercooler its at the front, bottom of the radiator. the turbocharger is a VNT (variable nozzle turbocharger)its at the back of engine bottom of exhuast manifold. there is a rubber pipe on the turbo inlet that gets forgoten about its hard to see.

Did I mention I know hardly anything about cars.

;)

The turbo and intercooler both sound like something I might need to be underneath the car to see, is that right?

Appreciate all your help!

yes you get a good view for underneath, you have remove the shield from under the car frist.

• 11 months later...

i have the exact same problem with my car too.

any ideas on wat it cud be>?

i have the exact same problem with my car too.

any ideas on wat it cud be>?

It turned out to be a split pipe attached to the turbo in my case, as suggested. It's happened to me twice now on different pipes.

Unless you're handy at repairs, get it to the garage pronto and keep the revs down in the meantime.

Just had my 2nd one fixed at a dealer for £120 all in.

However, if your car doesn't have a turbo, it may be something else.

check the 90 degree rubber turbo pipe.

its located to the left, top of the engine as you look at it from the front. it may have a split on the inside bend. costs around £40 from dealer.

• 1 year later...

Brilliant replies to the whooshing noise. I've been trying to figure it out for ages. I've posted 2 shots of my car, wide and close up where you can see the split, for future sufferers and attached them as well. Luckily for me the split was on top and easy to see.

http://s11.postimage.../Turbo_Wide.jpg

http://s18.postimage...rbo_closeup.jpg

Thanks for everyones help, great site.

post-40970-0-39899800-1361033398_thumb.j

post-40970-0-06775600-1361033407_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

hi can someone help am i got a car a few days ago im having the same issue with my turbo but there no lose of power just the noise plus from time to time I get a power train malfunction light on but if I turn the car off then back on it doesn't come on and also when i turn the lights on in the car the airbag light comes on gos off for around 7 seconds then comes back on the no signs from it showing any fault codes when i plug an odb2 scanner it comes back ok

Sounds like 2 faults.

Definitely look at the intercooler hose, the noise on acceleration is a dead giveaway.

If you drive while keeping the car below the turbo threshold then the engine management light won't pop up.

Airbag light can be either the connection under the seats for the seat airbag units has been disturbed or a vonnector block may be loose in the footwell fuseboard.

I'd disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes before checking the wiring.

Make sure you have your radio security code first though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

ok am quiet handy one the tools for when am back in the TA on Monday ill ask the lands if I can get it on the ramps to look under it sorry to snd like an idiot asking this but if there is an split in the pipe would that be kicking the powertrain mode off

Hi I took the intercooler pipe off checked it all over an there was no splits I've fitted it back on an the humming noise is still there at 2500 revs an above but there is no lose of power has anyone got anymore advice

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I had a split in 1 of my hoses a few weeks ago, turned out to be near the jubilee clip at the top of the long hose coming out of the cooler. Might be a bit oily round the split.

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=1191654&s_id_model=12

Number: 6k683a

I've check the pipe over again this morning that was ok but one found one on another pipe could that be causing the hising noise post-56629-140679990395_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Definitely

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

• 1 month later...

Hi - I have an S-Max 1.8tdci and had identical symptoms.

To add my 10 pence worth I found that the jubilee clip on the turbo outlet? wasn't that tight, and the hose had actually moved away from the end of the turbo outlet (I could see a fresh silver band where the hose had been). I loosened the jubilee clip, pushed the hose back home, and then gave the clip a good tighten and all seems well so far....well at least the plumes of black smoke have reduced considerably.. :)

Good job there Fella.

We'll add that to the list :d

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to thank you all for the answer to my problem. I am going on holiday early tomorrow and coming home from work this evening my car started to make the whooshing noise. After an hour of worrying what might be wrong I looked on this forum and found the answer straight away. ( split hose from intercooler) Once again thank you all.

Mac

• 7 months later...

Hi I'm new to this forum, I too suffer with this annoying whistle..... I got a "new" turbo fitted a year gone January which had disintegrated. I replaced the right angle intercooler pipe recently but still have this noise any help Will be much appreciated.......

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this noise on a mk2.5 tdci 2.0 focus so I can't even get at the turbo because of were it is. Could it be anything else before I take it in a garage & get a better view on the ramp. The noise doesn't seem to get any louder & by the time I get into 2nd gear I can't hear.