Do Not Sell My Personal Information

engine management light

kernow ka

Hi, I'm new to this site, I've just bought a nice Streetka 03 model with 35k on it for the wife, but have a couple of minor issues.

I cleaned the engine bay today - no hose, pressure washer or steam cleaning - just a damp cloth to wipe over and a bit of degreaser, sprayed a bit of wd40 about but didn't go mad. Anyway started it up and the management light stayed on!!

I've checked to see if anything has been dislodged - all looks OK and it starts and runs fine, I also disconnected the battery for about 5 mins hoping to reset the ECU but the light remains on - any Ideas?? or is it a main dealer job?

Central locking doesn't activate on the drivers door when unlocking and sometimes won't lock on the blip either although i do get a slight bleeping noise for about 10 secs after arming/disarming. Do these cars have an alarm and immobiliser?

The PAS fluid looks a bit cloudly and excess moisture appears under the cap, so I guess that needs renewing?

Apart from that the car is spot-on!!! and If it lasts as well as my 2002 198k Mondeo I'll be more than happy!

Sorry for such a long-winded first post but I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new to this site, I've just bought a nice Streetka 03 model with 35k on it for the wife, but have a couple of minor issues.

I cleaned the engine bay today - no hose, pressure washer or steam cleaning - just a damp cloth to wipe over and a bit of degreaser, sprayed a bit of wd40 about but didn't go mad. Anyway started it up and the management light stayed on!!

I've checked to see if anything has been dislodged - all looks OK and it starts and runs fine, I also disconnected the battery for about 5 mins hoping to reset the ECU but the light remains on - any Ideas?? or is it a main dealer job?

Central locking doesn't activate on the drivers door when unlocking and sometimes won't lock on the blip either although i do get a slight bleeping noise for about 10 secs after arming/disarming. Do these cars have an alarm and immobiliser?

The PAS fluid looks a bit cloudly and excess moisture appears under the cap, so I guess that needs renewing?

Apart from that the car is spot-on!!! and If it lasts as well as my 2002 198k Mondeo I'll be more than happy!

Sorry for such a long-winded first post but I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light

Thanks.

hi there mate

might poss be the oxy sensor is faulty which could be y ur engine light is on

this is normally the case

regards

hi there mate

might poss be the oxy sensor is faulty which could be y ur engine light is on

this is normally the case

regards

dont quote me on my last post as im not 100% sure

thanks

Hey and welcome to the site.

Where abouts in Cornwall are ya mate?

Hello and welcome to the club

PAS fluid can be redone i think and sure it wont be a big job.

As for engine light, if you go to a garage and get the fault codes read this may help find the cause of the problem

if the light wasen't on before you cleaned the engine its most likley a bit of fluid has got into a connection and tripped the light. 5 mins is not long enough to reset the ecu it shoul be near to 45 mins. try a longer reset time and see if this clears the light if not it will have to be code read to find the problem. as for the alarm if its just the drivers door playing up check for any broken wires at the loom where it passes through the door,if these are ok it could be a solinoide in the door itself.

if the light wasen't on before you cleaned the engine its most likley a bit of fluid has got into a connection and tripped the light. 5 mins is not long enough to reset the ecu it shoul be near to 45 mins. try a longer reset time and see if this clears the light if not it will have to be code read to find the problem. as for the alarm if its just the drivers door playing up check for any broken wires at the loom where it passes through the door,if these are ok it could be a solinoide in the door itself.

Thanks for the advice, I went out to the car last night, fired it up and no light!

However took it for spin just now and it came back on! - guess I need to get it checked, but can't help thinking I dislodged something or got a bit of moisture in it when i cleaned up the engine bay, as I drove it home 250 miles saturday no problems.

I think you are probably right Mintalkin, 'cos if I move the door you can hear the solinoid clicking back and forth. By the way how you finding the mondeo? mines an 02 with 190k on it and apart from a new clutch and flywheel at 175k and the odd problem of the engine going into limp mode once in a blue moon, its really been an excellent car - million times better than my old A3 2.0 tdi company car - that spent half its life at the garage.

Its the wifes car Vinny and we live right on the devon/kernow border - at top of the tamar.

Anyway thanks again for all your help - I'll keep you posted.

My mate works down Holsworthy Motor Company on the Holsworthy industrial estate. He said take it down there as they have all the diagnostic's etc etc to look over the engine for.

Good reliable bunch of lads who know there stuff.

My mate works down Holsworthy Motor Company on the Holsworthy industrial estate. He said take it down there as they have all the diagnostic's etc etc to look over the engine for.

Good reliable bunch of lads who know there stuff.

Yea no problem mate. I pop down there all the time for a yap and see what they are doing. Really friendly and proffesional. Even do a courtesy car if its needed. Unless its already out of course.

so far the mondeo is going well but with only 26000 miles and two year old time will tell,one minor problem is the lacqur departing from the front wheels and ford wont replace because they are classed as trim,currantley an investigation going on but i dont hold my breath.the good point is the gearbox sixth gear is perfect for the motorway blasts and plenty of torque to make it work

so far the mondeo is going well but with only 26000 miles and two year old time will tell,one minor problem is the lacqur departing from the front wheels and ford wont replace because they are classed as trim,currantley an investigation going on but i dont hold my breath.the good point is the gearbox sixth gear is perfect for the motorway blasts and plenty of torque to make it work

Had the car checked at the local main dealer today.

They reckon its the lambda sensor - but they say thats around £100 plus 2 hours labour!! so I won't be going there!!

I don't know the full story 'cos my wife took the car in, they seemed to think the PAS fluid was OK but my mate who works for Ford in Portsmouth said it sounds like water contamination and he would get it changed - all the more reason not to go back to the local main dealer.

Still find it a strange coincidence that the sensor failed after I cleaned under the bonnet - that will teach me!

i don't see how cleaning with a damp cloth could throw a lambada sensor as its attached to the exhaust but if it is the problem try here for prices and is a diy job

http://www.gendan.co.uk/index.php

with the pas fluid the only way to check is with a boil test if this comes back ok i would not worry to much

It was the lambda sensor, my local garage has all the diagnostics equipment and confirmed it.

Fitted in 10mins and reset the light, all going well now.

I checked the wires in the door grommet to see if I could find the problem with the C/L not working on the drivers side.

Two wires appear to have been cut rather than damaged, also the alarm control box located in the kick panel is loose this makes me think that there has ben an issue in the past with either the alarm or C/L - anyone else had C/L problems???

Apart from these issues the car is great!!!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club