Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4 ghia loss of acceleration

glj

Hi

I have a 1.4, 53 reg ghia, recently I have started to have problems with a lack of acceleration when the engine is cold, and this is happening regualry. Once over 30 it seems to be better, but can be hesitant to accelerate and jolts when it does. Any ideas as to what may cause this?

Thank you very much

sounds like an interuption of the spark could be plugs / leads or the coil pack breaking down

I'm assuming it's a petrol model so if it's only happening when it's cold what are the revs at standstill like when you first start the car in the morning? They should be sitting somewhere about 1300 rpm then drop to approx 700 rpm when the engine warms up. What's it also like when the engines hot?

Sounds similar to my problem, car's running a bit rough, sometimes feels as though someones got a hold of the car, then suddenly lets loose, and zoom, away I go. It only seems to happen in about 2nd or 3rd gear, never when I'm going over 30. I put my car on to an RAC diagnostics tool, and it said it was a problem with the O2 oxygen sensor, as yet I've not had it fixed because my hubby swears it's my driving :angry:

Yes it is a petrol model and the problems occur mainly when its cold. I start to move and accelerate but nothing, no power at all then it comes back I've even had the enigne management light flashing at me, and it jutters until the engine gets warm. On occasion when it is warm it will be hesitant to accelerate.

The engine idles OK and the rev counter seems normal when moving, but havent really noticed when I first start up. I know it does rev then calm down after a second from the sound.

I know its not my driving, cause its done it when others have been driving, but will be getting it checked as soon as I can. I just hope its nothing expensive?

Yes it is a petrol model and the problems occur mainly when its cold. I start to move and accelerate but nothing, no power at all then it comes back I've even had the enigne management light flashing at me, and it jutters until the engine gets warm. On occasion when it is warm it will be hesitant to accelerate.

The engine idles OK and the rev counter seems normal when moving, but havent really noticed when I first start up. I know it does rev then calm down after a second from the sound.

I know its not my driving, cause its done it when others have been driving, but will be getting it checked as soon as I can. I just hope its nothing expensive?

Just wondering if it's like an "autochoke" thats not operating, hence the question about the revs when you first start it in the mornings and the fact it "jutters" till it's warm.

Hi,

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I have had it checked on the computer and it came up with misfire on cylinder 4, so they have changed the plugs, and it seems OK now, however I have still not tried it from cold. I'm just hoping this has sorted it!!! I cant afford for it to be a more expensive job

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I thought the problem I had previoulsy was fixed by the new plugs, however its still jumpy when cold, and even coughs a little when idling (when scraping the ice off this morning). It is generally OK once warm and does run smoothly, but can jump when changing gear even when warm.

I have taken it back to the garage, who say it could be the head gasket going. Could this really be the case? If so any ideas how much it should cost to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club