Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes

deanpollard2000

Hello,

I had my rear brake pads and cylinders replaced some time ago.

A very long loud annoying squeak developed. I went back to the garage and they said the bearnings now needed replacing. I had these replaced.

There is still a squeak there, doesnt last as long or is as loud a previously but its still there. Is there anything else this can be, or is it fairly normal and I should just live with it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi deanpollard2000

i need more info to help on this one, and there shouldn't be any squealing at all, don't get me wrong a lite squeal when breaking can be classed as normal and is nothing dangerous and its very common but this can be easily sorted if assembled properly by using copper grease between the pad (non friction side of course if you have rear discs) and the calliper, its just you said you had the cylinders replaced that normally refers to brake shoes inside the rear drum and only need replacing if they are leaking brake fluid hence reducing the braking force to the wheel, unless you mean the brake calliper cylinder which is quite rare unless they have seized up.

Tell me:

Have you got discs brakes on the rear or drums ?

When you say bearings do you mean wheel bearings ? as this has nothing to do with the breaks squealing and to be fair they very rarely go.

Do you get the noise all the time either when slowing down or at speed or when the breaks are applied ?

I have drums.

When you say bearings do you mean wheel bearings ? as this has nothing to do with the breaks squealing and to be fair they very rarely go.

Yes I had the wheel bearings replaced, there use to be a extremely long and loud squeal when breaking.

Do you get the noise all the time either when slowing down or at speed or when the breaks are applied ?

Just when the brakes are applied, it only occurs just before stopping for about 2 seconds maybe? For example if breaking from 60MPH to zero no noise will occur until i slow right down and last for a couple of seconds before stopping.

I have drums.

Yes I had the wheel bearings replaced, there use to be a extremely long and loud squeal when breaking.

Just when the brakes are applied, it only occurs just before stopping for about 2 seconds maybe? For example if breaking from 60MPH to zero no noise will occur until i slow right down and last for a couple of seconds before stopping.

Hi

Ok cool, it sounds to me like the inside of the brake drum (the part that the shoes press against) have glazed over through use and age, both sides need to be taken off and rubbed with a bit of emery cloth to ruff up the surface a little to give the new shoes something to bite against, i had a similar problem some years ago and this sorted it right out. Don't know why the garage replaced the wheel bearings though unless they were running ruff anyway as this sort of noise doesn't come from a failing bearing more like a uneven grinding noise, anyway this should sort it out you will need to take it to a garage though unless you have the strength of three men to get the centre nut off, these are done up to a huge torque and will need to be tightened back up to the exact torque setting.

Thank you very much for your help, I will give it a go.

Do you know the exact torque setting for my Focus? Its a 1.8 1999 T Reg

Thanks

No worries, torque wrench settings are 235Nm or 173lbf ft, you will need a extension bar for this, good luck.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club