Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Problem

CBracing

Hi all

Can anybodie help me with our 1.6 Y reg focus with only 64000 miles, when left ticking over or in heavey traffic it starts smoking from the exhaust.

If you rev it it clears then slowly comes back, I have changed the oil 5w 30w and filter, replaced the engine emissions pipes and valve cleaned out the plate and cover, over the weekend i did a compression check they were between 195/205 psi, also i have replaced the valve stem seals and head gasket this was done because when changing down the gears it smoked when you pushed the throttle.

Has anybody had the same problem or should i replace the oil with 15w 50w.

Please can any one help.

regards C Brooker

Hi all

Can anybodie help me with our 1.6 Y reg focus with only 64000 miles, when left ticking over or in heavey traffic it starts smoking from the exhaust.

If you rev it it clears then slowly comes back, I have changed the oil 5w 30w and filter, replaced the engine emissions pipes and valve cleaned out the plate and cover, over the weekend i did a compression check they were between 195/205 psi, also i have replaced the valve stem seals and head gasket this was done because when changing down the gears it smoked when you pushed the throttle.

Has anybody had the same problem or should i replace the oil with 15w 50w.

Please can any one help.

regards C Brooker

Hi CBrooker

are you sure this is not just codensation caused by the recent cold weather(are you actually using any oil)?

having to top it up.

tom

Hi CBrooker

are you sure this is not just codensation caused by the recent cold weather(are you actually using any oil)?

having to top it up.

tom

Hi tom

Yes matey having to top up now and again its blue smoke coming out. Im looking at a engine strip and clean poss stuck oil rings letting the oil by only when hot.

I have been told to change the oil from 5w 30w to 15w 50w.

clive.

Hi tom

Yes matey having to top up now and again its blue smoke coming out. Im looking at a engine strip and clean poss stuck oil rings letting the oil by only when hot.

I have been told to change the oil from 5w 30w to 15w 50w.

clive.

Hi CBracing

would not go as far as 15w/50 bit to thick. maybe try 10w/40 first also a petrol additive to clean the gum from the rings.

let me know how you go on.

tom

the 1.6 is well known for its oil burning, mine included. how much oil are you using? i probably use 1L or slightly more every 1000 miles. to me, i would rather keep filling it with oil than attack the engine with spanners and a whole load of money - atleast until it gets worse. if i rev the car hard, i can see clouds of blue smoke in the mirror, under normal driving i cant see any although it is using oil still.

the 1.6 is well known for its oil burning, mine included. how much oil are you using? i probably use 1L or slightly more every 1000 miles. to me, i would rather keep filling it with oil than attack the engine with spanners and a whole load of money - atleast until it gets worse. if i rev the car hard, i can see clouds of blue smoke in the mirror, under normal driving i cant see any although it is using oil still.

Hi mate ya it is using about 1lt in a month but no show when driven hard, Im going to replace the oil for 10w 50w or 15w 50w to see what happens. I will also try not at the same time petrol/injector cleaner and will post the results.

Thanks all for you replies, Clive.

Hi mate ya it is using about 1lt in a month but no show when driven hard, Im going to replace the oil for 10w 50w or 15w 50w to see what happens. I will also try not at the same time petrol/injector cleaner and will post the results.

Thanks all for you replies, Clive.

i would seriously think twice about changing to such a grade of oil, that could only spell disaster for the engine :(

Hi CBracing

10w/40 semi synth is listed as an alternative in moderate climate.

15w/50 is not listed at all so could seriously damage your engine.

tom

Hi CBracing

10w/40 semi synth is listed as an alternative in moderate climate.

15w/50 is not listed at all so could seriously damage your engine.

tom

Cheer tom ill go for the 10w 40w semi and see what happens.

regards CBracing (clive)