Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 1.6 Petrol Engine Cutting Out

andy64

Had a problem with my car between July & September last year (vehicle was new in April 09). Intermittent issue started at about 2,000 miles with the engine suddenly cutting out momentarily while driving but no warning lights ever came on & no fault messages were ever given.

Car went in to my local Ford dealer for this to be investigated on three occasions between Jul 09 & Sept 09 - on the last of which they kept the car for four days - but they were never able to get it to "fault" & no fault codes were ever found hence they said that they couldn't do any more unless it actually broke down or showed a warning light. I wasn't pleased!

The car then "cured itself" at the end of Sept 2009 and was fine for nearly 13 months - until last weekend; the fault has now returned at 10,000 miles!

Drove back to Sheffield from Cornwall last Saturday (340 miles), no problems until I came off the motorway on to a 30mph road. Shortly after I dropped the speed down to 30 & was driving along in 4th gear on a flat piece of road the car suddenly began to shudder extremely violently as the engine cut out four times in as many seconds. Again, no warning lights or error messages. Petrol tank was 3/4 full as I'd filled up about 100 miles previously so low fuel not the issue (& I always use quality fuel - Shell, Esso or BP). After this the car drove normally for the rest of my journey home & I've covered 50 miles since with no problems at all. I've checked under the bonnet; nothing's loose or adrift & there's plenty of oil in the engine.

Based on my previous dealer experience there doesn't seem to be much point at all in taking the car in at present - they'll just say that they're unable to find any fault again & it's quite inconvenient for me to have to do this due to work pressures & commitments.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this with the Mk7 1.6 petrol (as fitted to the Zetec S & some Titaniums)?

I have just experienced a lot of juderring and lack of power on a cold start but not actually cutting out completely. When the engine cuts out does it start back itself or do you need to turn the ignition key again to restart?

I have just experienced a lot of juderring and lack of power on a cold start but not actually cutting out completely. When the engine cuts out does it start back itself or do you need to turn the ignition key again to restart?

Hi - as it only cuts out for a second each time (& always with a warm engine), the car keeps moving forwards & the engine then restarts itself as it's "turned over" by the forward momentum of the car - then it immediately cuts out again - then restarts - then it cuts again - then restarts, recovers then it's as if nothing's happened. Feels as if I've slammed the brakes on hard, repeatedly, each time but it all happens very quickly.

The car's never come to a complete halt needing a turn from the ignition key to restart - yet!

Well thats kind of what mine does at low speeds on a slow start, a sort of stuttering motion. Although your problem sounds worse. It could be a flat spot or a problem with the fuel pump. Ask the dealer for an ECU update maybe?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club