Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cracked Wishbone Helpp!

l-26x

I cracked my front nearside wishbone tonight whilst driving a bit too fast round a corner in the wet and went up on the curb. I really need to get it fixed ASAP because of work etc. and just generally getting around. I was wondering if anyone knew how much this would cost if i did go to a garage? or whether its simple enough for me to do myself. I cant get different quotes on it because its not driveable and im scared i may have done something else to the wheel. I'm not gonna lie, im an amateur in terms of mechanics but trying to learn, if i cant do it myself, i know mechanics that could possibly do it for me. Please help, thanks:)

I cracked my front nearside wishbone tonight whilst driving a bit too fast round a corner in the wet and went up on the curb. I really need to get it fixed ASAP because of work etc. and just generally getting around. I was wondering if anyone knew how much this would cost if i did go to a garage? or whether its simple enough for me to do myself. I cant get different quotes on it because its not driveable and im scared i may have done something else to the wheel. I'm not gonna lie, im an amateur in terms of mechanics but trying to learn, if i cant do it myself, i know mechanics that could possibly do it for me. Please help, thanks:)

you can diy

takes about an hour to do m8

a garage may charge you a small fortune to do it

ford part is £95.00 not inc fitting

i would do following

ask local garage for a supply & fit charge & a fit only charge if you supply the part

get part from here

www.buypartsby.co.uk

cost about £30.00 inc p&p from memory

best to phone them for part if you cannot locate it

keep us informaed on hoy you get on m8

i did this myself this weekend, it's dead easy, my part was £24 plus vat from sutton auto factors - buypartsby.com (there was also a cheaper one at £18 but it didnt seem worth skimping on quality for a difference of £6

2 18mm (iirc) bolts to remove - 1 through each bush, holding the wishbone onto the subframe. and then you'll need to undo the pinch bolt for the ball joint - i would replace this one, as mine sheared as i was tightening back up - 3 quid from ford & you'll need a fairly large torx bit to holt the bolt still while you tighten the nut up. (i didnt have one big enough so i tapped a smaller one in with a rag round it & this was sufficient

be careful when you come to drop the balljoint out of the hub, when i did my 406 a couple of months back, when i dropped the balljoint out, the driveshaft popped out, spilt gearbox oil everywhere, and i took a brake disk to the face. not fun.

the wishbone on the KA is MUCH easier than the 406. dont hesitate to shout me if you've any other questions about it

p.s. when i did my wishbone i also did the subframe, driveshaft, and this weekend i'm doing the steering arm. if you find any of these are damaged also, i'd be happy to talk you through any of them. we did the lot for under 150 quid, ford had quoted £500, not including the steering rack.

best of luck

eddy

Thank youu, I picked up a wishbone for £30 inc. VAT at a local parts garage, I was quite happy with that:) And it's clearly good in life to know people because I got a mechanic to do it for £40 labour and he even bent my driveshaft back into shape aswell. So in all, £70. Compared to the £240 quote I got beforehand I'm happy. Thanks anyway guys.

and he even bent my driveshaft back into shape aswell.

Glad your sorted 1-26x to be honest I'd invest in a second hand driveshaft, if yours was bent then straightend it will be out of balance (and weakened) and you will feel a small vibration at certan speeds

I had noticed that after and that must be what it is, how much is that going to set me back thoughh? Is it dangerous? I imagine they can snap if too weak:/ Thank you though fishpond 47

He also said I've got a leak which I had before the incident and said it could be to do with the heater matrix. He said keep an eye on the coolant level as it would drop quite quickly, but there's no change in it :S and to put some radweld in it. But if its not that, Ive heard radweld can clog the radiator as it is, so if i do put radweld in and thats not it, am i just causing more problems for myself?

a 2nd hand driveshaft is £50 in the scrapyard, personally speaking, i wouldnt even consider reusing a bent one. i did the shaft at the same time as my wishbone, & it IS a diy job, but unless you have a windy gun, you'll struggle taking off the hubnut...

new driveshaft seal is about a quid fifty from ford, worth having, i never like reusing old ones, and the hubnut is a couple of quid - again, you can use the old one but i'd rather not.

you'll need a crowbar and a !Removed! heavy hammer to take the inner end out of the gearbox too, and make sure you've got something to catch the gearbox oil in when it pops out :unsure:

its a tougher job than the wishbone for sure, but it's still not impossible by any stretch

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club