Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoking Mk1

pid

Hi all.

Just had my timing belt done after 119k on the same belt as well as the aux belt. But I have noticed that the car is smoking from the exhaust even after driving from Milton Keynes to Portsmouth! The smoke is White and does not smell. Is this normal should I take it back to the garage or is it something bad like piston rings (I have just started to monitor oil levels on normal driving)

Any help much appreciated

Pid.

White smoke is indicative of a dodgy head gasket. A garage will do a smog test to be sure. Have it looked at or it could blow.

Hi all.

Just had my timing belt done after 119k on the same belt as well as the aux belt. But I have noticed that the car is smoking from the exhaust even after driving from Milton Keynes to Portsmouth! The smoke is White and does not smell. Is this normal should I take it back to the garage or is it something bad like piston rings (I have just started to monitor oil levels on normal driving)

Any help much appreciated

Pid.

was it a case of;

prior to cam belt renewal...no white smoke

immediately after cam belt renewal...white smoke

If that is the case I would take it back to the garage that did the job. As it points to the timing being out if you ask me.

I didn't notice the White smoke before to be honest! It's getting taken back on Monday

What's the smog test all about never herd that before!!

It's had a mot straint after the timing being done and on the emissions test there nothing out of the normal.

Keep an eye on your engine coolant & oil levels, as if it is the head gasket then it will start using more water and you will also find oil deposits in the engine coolant tank too. To me though it sounds like something to do with the garage if it never did this before the timing belt change.

Liam

Keep an eye on your engine coolant & oil levels, as if it is the head gasket then it will start using more water and you will also find oil deposits in the engine coolant tank too. To me though it sounds like something to do with the garage if it never did this before the timing belt change.

Liam

sounds to me like the timing has been advanced the smoke will be due to the fact theres lots of unburnt fuel coming through ive found independants to not be that good in doing ford timing it needs the correct locking tool which many dont have and use the old tip ex or white paint trick which doesnt work ide take it to a ford garage and have the timing checked

oil and water levels are constant checked most wks.

Would it b a waste of time taking back to the garage I got the belt done at?

If the timing was not correct could 'kick off' at the garage?

Oil and water levels are constant checked most wks.

Would it b a waste of time taking back to the garage I got the belt done at?

If the timing was not correct could 'kick off' at the garage?

the garage that did it is unlikely to admit that they screwed up so they will just say its fine ide get a second opinion and if it is off get the mechanic to write that down for you and take it back to the place that did originally did the belt and get some money back

Yea on reflection silly thing to think but the smoke doesn't seam to be as bad/hardly noticeable Now so could it of been something like grease/muck on the spark plugs that's now burnt off?

Still a good idea to get the timing checked? Is it a long job to check the timing?

Yea on reflection silly thing to think but the smoke doesn't seam to be as bad/hardly noticeable Now so could it of been something like grease/muck on the spark plugs that's now burnt off?

Still a good idea to get the timing checked? Is it a long job to check the timing?

a good garage can do it in half an hour with a timing gun remember its cold and wet now so it will show some steam from the pipe till its warmed up

a good garage can do it in half an hour with a timing gun remember its cold and wet now so it will show some steam from the pipe till its warmed up

Yea that's what I thought it was at first but this was after a 2 hour drive and parking at HMS Sulatn I first noticed it, but like I said it seams to of stoped now! Could I do a timing check myself I have the use of the 'car club' think they have most stuff like that got all the normal car garage stuff, or best checked by a garage?

is a timing gun not for old school cars? is it not just a locking kit for modern cars?

I would keep an eye it for a few days just incase it comes back again, but I've found out that if their are any problems with the timing or if it is slightly out then you wuld experience problems starting the car and it won't crank over properly.

Liam

I would keep an eye it for a few days just incase it comes back again, but I've found out that if their are any problems with the timing or if it is slightly out then you wuld experience problems starting the car and it won't crank over properly.

Liam

they are old school but they work on any car as long as the timing marks are there theres a locking kit for the ford yes which should make it real easy but many independants dont have them and use all sorts from a bit of tip ex on the cogs to old head bolts to try and hold it in place thats why for stuff like timin=g its less hassle and not that much dearer just going to the dealers

I don't know if the marks are there but I'm quite used to doing the light gun timing on big diesel generators at work old school but good job!

For the mean time I'm going to all monitor fluid levels every day until next wk when I can get a ramp and some time to do a timing check.

@LaimZetec

No probs starting or running even when I had a full car of rugby mates.

I may b wrong but if the mechanic had oily gloves/hands and that got onto the end of the plug it could of just been burning off?? Or am I thinking crap?

Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club