Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Conversion And Other Mods.

johnH

Hi folks,

basically i was wondering if there are any threads/walkthroughs with pictures or if anyone has info on the following:

Changing the Green illumination behind the speedo and other things to any other colour with the use of LEDs. i previously did a full conversion on my peugeot 307, before i lost it. (can give link if anyone is interested)

Installing a courtesy light with map lights for both passenger and driver, so 3 lights in total in 1 unit.

Installing a rear courtesy light.

i applogise if this has been covered before, but i tried a google search and got nothing apart from pay to view forums.

Thanks in advance.

Try the build diary section on FordFocusWorld.com it should allow anonymous access to the forum. Everything you are looking for has been covered at one stage or another. HVAC, dials, courtesy lights front & rear, smooth wiper. They are a friendly bunch of people who will offer advice on any mods your looking to do. :)

thanks, will have a look.

the dash clocks aint worth doing as it requires a complete disassemble its not a case of switching bulbs and many have ruined there clocks heres a how to http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=61&ht=IndiGLO%20odometer%20hack u need to replace this part then do the LED Bulbs as for the switches on the doors etc eBay have a service where yo send these parts away and the leds are done for you they require quite a bit of work from what ive seen and again you cant just whip a bulb out and do it jjust search eBay for ford focus interior leds youll find it. you need a ghia map light for the front available from any scrappy simply swap over

Thanks for the info. but i dont trust anyone i dont know and send them some car parts and hope they dont bodge it etc....more than qualified with a soldering iron and electronics. from what i understand about the little screen (milage screen) if it is the same as other screens in that family, there will be SMD LEDs behind (possibly white) which will shine through a green filter of some sort, take that off and fit a custom fit white transparant filter, de-solder the old SMD leds and put the new ones in then make sure the pressure is there on the screen so it will show the info...thats all in theory anyways...

ahh bringin back the memories of doing this on my 307.

In the end i think i will just have to take it all apart and have a look and see. The only thing that will stop this from working is if the plastic, say for buttons is moulded with a specifics colour such as on the pugs it was orange but on fords it may be green. but if someone on eBay can do it, i can :P save a few pennies :D

sorry if all that seemed to be a bit obnoxous.

will post up what i find...may even make a guide on how to.. if it all goes well

In ur pug didnt the led's annoy you though lol i love driving with all the dials dimmed right down when theres no cars about and its pitch black (can stil see them but ya no) led's would reck that but all to there own. Can i request a night time pic though just to see what it looks like :P i was going to do the dials blue on my mk1 but trashed the cluster so scrapped it off and i dont trust myself at all to do it all again and itd only be the dials so would look odd with the green dash... On the mk1 the switches are all sealed units so they more than likely are on the mk2.

Also how the hell do u roll a 307 my mates got a 206 gti180 and it will NOT let go just bites down and begs for more abuse and the rates some of the chavs take the country lanes in 106's beggers belief. Sorry if its a touchy subject but i really want to shake ur hand u wrote a french car off its one less on the roads :P

In ur pug didnt the led's annoy you though lol i love driving with all the dials dimmed right down when theres no cars about and its pitch black (can stil see them but ya no) led's would reck that but all to there own. Can i request a night time pic though just to see what it looks like :P i was going to do the dials blue on my mk1 but trashed the cluster so scrapped it off and i dont trust myself at all to do it all again and itd only be the dials so would look odd with the green dash... On the mk1 the switches are all sealed units so they more than likely are on the mk2.

Also how the hell do u roll a 307 my mates got a 206 gti180 and it will NOT let go just bites down and begs for more abuse and the rates some of the chavs take the country lanes in 106's beggers belief. Sorry if its a touchy subject but i really want to shake ur hand u wrote a french car off its one less on the roads :P

its a hit and miss most of the time the tampering knackers the dials some are fine some become useless thats why not many bother due to the hassle of getting dials that work and then getting the mileage recalibrated no one on eBay does the cluster as far as im aware but the switches they do they do tend to be overly bright and on a real dark road they shine in the window making it real awkward to see i tried led elec window switches from eBay but sent them back just wqay too bright and annoying i used these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOCUS-window-switches-BLUE-leds-/250719824426?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6010ea2a

here are the photos of what my pug looked like

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6467

every now and again it was a little too bright, but i just used the dimmer to put it down and it was just as good as stock.

Well basically im not sure on how it went one minute i was sideways in a 90 degree drift, facing a house. floored the !Removed!, dropped a gear, i was not going into a house no matter what but i knew it wasnt going to end well, turned the wheel fast while flooring it, span out, hit a curb, doing a back stand, smashing boot in, then flipping 3 times. pictures on here:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12276

i think it was a little bit of me doing the "legal" ahem speed limit, the wet weather and a flicking the steering wheel. in the end im better off, cheaper monthly payments on this car, cheaper insurance - even after claim, better car all round.

ahh i see what you mean now :P doesnt the focus come with a brightness control button, light on the dash on the pug, the right was reset trip etc the left was brightness control.

when i get the time and motivation i will get out and have a good look to see if it can be done etc.

thanks for all the info guy

LOL thats just hardcore! ive seen some badly smashed up cars considering what happened thats not to bad and u walked of which is most important!.

Keep us posted on the conversion mate

LOL thats just hardcore! ive seen some badly smashed up cars considering what happened thats not to bad and u walked of which is most important!.

Keep us posted on the conversion mate

aii, i now have the owner of the fence trying to claim i damaged 60 meters of fence and hedge, which will cost £5000 to sort etc. i sent the letter from their solicitors direct with photos to say otherwise to my insurance company. see where it goes ey.

anyways back to topic...

I have stumbled across a different forum with tons of how tos...including blue led conversion. Apparently i can sand the back of the speedo or buy a glo face. and with regards to the odometer, just have to be very very carefull of not braking the glass.

http://www.focusowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11568

they also have guides on retrofitting ghia lights, such as the footwell lights and a guide on fitting a rear courtesy light.

apparently most of the wiring is there on focus mk1.5 and above so hopefully this includes mk2.

anyways will keep you guys posted.

• 4 weeks later...

just an update, i have managed to get a guide, full of pictures of the circuit board and the polarity. i have ordered all the relevant LEDs and materials.

If your interested in the speedo guide, just ask and i can email them to you.

but otherwise if you hold on i will possible write up a full descriptive guide to help those who need it. this will only be relevant to Ford Focus 2006 diesel Zetecs.

My plans are:

convert to blue led:

-speedo dials

-Heater Controls (3 dials)

-AC and Air Cycle Buttons

-headlight control

-any other green interface i have missed.

Fit:

-Rear courtesy light

-ghia front courtesy lights with map lights

-Blue Led Footwell lights for all 4 footwells

more in the future thinking phase:

-engine remapping

-Rear Window Tint

-Lowering

-Engine Parts upgrade (brakes, air induction, struts etc)

-Alloys

-Upgrade Sound System (stealth sub and better speakers)

• 2 weeks later...

ok an update to those interested...

heres 2 piccys to show what i have acheived...

DSC00027.jpg

the speedo itself was quite easy, the hardest bit was getting it out...anyways inside there is no green filter on the back to scratch off, the back of the screen has a white filter and is green from the LEDs behind so no sanding is required.

overall there is 22 SMD LEDs that need to be soldered in.

DSC00028.jpg

the heater controls again do no have any green filter, it is all white and transparent plastic, it is green leds that give the colour. the fan power has 1 SMD LED. the temperature has 4, 1 blue for the blue 1 red for the red and two green at the top which also illuminate the two buttons. the vent selector has 2 SMD LEDs. in the top of the buttons there are 1 small orange SMD LED each to show they are on.

the heated glass buttons have 2 small SMD LEDs each, the top is orange to show it is on. the bottom is green to illuminate the button.

futher to this i have found that the headlight control switch, besides being a pain in the rear end to dismantle and put back together, has 8 3mm leds.

the passenger window switch has 1 3mm leds, the drivers has 2 3mm leds and 4 smd leds (same as screen buttons) for the mirror controls

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

to those who are interested in this, a slight update.

i have managed to complete changing all the green to blue...i was quite plesantly surprised...not a green filter in sight...its either all white or transparent and ford had used green leds.

the hardest bit was the headlight switch but that was probably my own fault.

next i am going to wire into the fusebox 4x footwell led strips, 2 for front, 2 for rear...im planning on making use of a spare socket on which the ghia footwells would have connected into - obv use a correct fuse to make safe etc.

Not bad at all, I shall keep my eye on this topic, will be interesting to see how it pans out!

• 3 weeks later...

heres some more photos, these are the footwell lights i have installed. sorry for the quality was taken by using my phone in the dark

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

I'd be interested in the rear lighting as I struggle to see to do the kids child seats at night. I've already a rear light and wiring (off a mk1.5 Ghia), but I also have a mk2 size rear light as well.

I'm very keen to get this sorted ASAP if possible.

I've had the ghia light in the front of my car before, but it was out of a mk1 Focus and although it fits fine I didn't like the 1980's style buttons that were on it! :P I removed and sold it anyway.

So aside from the ghia/titanium style rear seat light I'd also consider doing a footwell light which I though I could do by using the rear arm rest.... I'm happy to cut holes, but a bit worried about blowing a fuse with the wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John can you give me the site where you found everything out as I have no instrument lights at all, but its just the cluster and the heater controls that are out. How did you get the dash cluster out? Help please.. regards

to be honest i just did it using my own knowledge, not much difference really between a peugeot or ford on that level. it doesn't sound like a unit fault but rather a fuse or connection.

but to get the cluster out, use a long blunt tool, insert it between the dash and cluster at the top, middle and pull the top down carefully, it does take quite a bit of effort.

to be honest i just did it using my own knowledge, not much difference really between a peugeot or ford on that level. it doesn't sound like a unit fault but rather a fuse or connection.

but to get the cluster out, use a long blunt tool, insert it between the dash and cluster at the top, middle and pull the top down carefully, it does take quite a bit of effort.

Thanks for that, I will just have to use brute force and ignorance. I just got the car, being ex police they might have upset a connector when taking out their equipment, I'll let you know how I get on. Regards Fred

yeah my mates dad bought, in an auction, an ex police fiesta (quite old) and there was electrical faults all over it. holes in the body work from the sirens and lights along with looking old and tired. just as well he was going to use it as a little run around for the town.

Hi John, yep, it is now 23.21hrs and I have just put all the dash back together, good grief, they had attatched their wiring all over the !Removed! place and all the connections were soldered together, I have just stripped the lot from under and behind the dash having to repair 3 cables they had cut through (cluster lights, fog light bonnet light) and part way through the heater control, it was only held together by the sleeving and that was why the blower was so intermitant, well thats the front took care of, while I had panels off I found another 5 stray cut offs travelling towards the rear of the car, Guess what I will be doing tomorrow... but it will be worth the effort I suppose being on an 07 and I aquired it at the right price. I found out this morning after phoning the garage that do all the work for the police in the West Lothian and Borders, to find out when the cambelt was changed and guess what it had a New Engine & Box fitted 38000 ago so I guess I win on that score. :D catch you later Fred

glad you got it all sorted, does sound like you come trumps on that like...a new engine! bonus as i say! anyways glad to be of some use.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club