Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Conversion And Other Mods.

johnH

Ps, as for changing the lights in the dash cluster forget it!! :o I took it all apart and looked at what it would involve, all I can say is that you must have the patience of a saint, Hey up it's Saint John.. :rolleyes:

haha first time i've heard that one...did make me chuckle like haha.

from memory i beleive it's 22 SMD LED's but since i deal with them at work and at home, i can change one within 30secs, so it doesn't take much time. just a steady hand, taking it easy and as you say a little bit of patience lol if it starts going wrong for any reason i normally just walk away, watch a bit of tv and chill out and try again. the worst thing that really gripes me is when one of the solder pads (where the Led are connected) is imperfect and lifts of so a bit of circuit recovery is needed, but that comes with the territory of the work.

oh and a good soldering iron is a good un aswell lol. if anyone wants i can recommend a soldering iron that makes this job ten times easier. its as they say a workman is only as good as his tools.

Hi again, I bought a soldering iron about six years ago from Maplins it is a ANTEX M12 12w with a very fine tip, I have tried to upload a photo but failed, ah well, Can you tell me where to get the SMD LEDs from and a rough cost for them please?

Another thing, I have tried to get a set of white dial faces for the car but everyone is telling me that they dont do one for the diesel, I have just emailed Lockwoods as in there ad on their site it says petrol but on the photo it shows the glow plug heater indicator, I will just have to wait for an answer off them I suppose. catch you later...

i personnally use www.crazyleds.co.uk and they are very very cheap. pointed tip will work, you will also need a pair of tweezers as they are minute, if you feel you cant do it i offer my services. yeah i was in the same shoes as you are, but i left it black to go with the interior.

i personnally use www.crazyleds.co.uk and they are very very cheap. pointed tip will work, you will also need a pair of tweezers as they are minute, if you feel you cant do it i offer my services. yeah i was in the same shoes as you are, but i left it black to go with the interior.

In terms of offering your services for the dash led conversion. If I provided the LED's, How much would we be talking? I'm not confident enough with a solder iron to do it myself and all my other dash bulbs are converted to blue.

Thanks for the offer John, I just might take you up on that. ref the white dials I have had an email back off lockwoods, this is what they said ;

The glow plug warning light will be inactive on petrol engine models but the

symbol was on the original so we kept it on ours.

If the dials look the same as yours (apart from the colour) then these will

be fine.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Clive

Lockwood Int.

so It looks like they are fine, I might just purchase a set, catch you later...

yeah i was begining to think that if they look the same, then it will be ok. hahaha yeah i tend to do a lot of soldering (out of work hours of course) for people, my main lot comes from the peugeot forum lol might have to set up a small business lol joke

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

EDIT - that was odd, all it did was qoute you!!

John, some good info there, any chance you can give a description of how you installed the footwell lights at all?

im new at all this and was thinking of some red mood lighting in the footwells of my Zetec.

i know with some cars, the wires and connectors are already there, take the glove box out and they should be there...all you need is the bulb. this is true for some mk1's, mk1.5's and few mk2's. (iirc been a while)

but anyways i put a wire from the roof light, ran it in the roof lining down the passenger a piller into the glove box area (added a switch) and down the center console and from that i attached 2 fronts LED strips to the glove box area and 2 rear LED switch from the centre console.

hope that helps...pretty simple really

• 7 months later...

hey john great MOD it was only 10mins ago i was looking at the red/orange glow on the temp controls, wishing i could have a nice white glow. then i saw this thread top work!!

• 1 month later...

That looks superb, everything ive always wanted to do but never dare start.Why did you change the stereo ?

i still have the stock FORD SONY 6000CD in the cupboard, but with a twist, blue illumination :lol: i took it out because i bought a clone FORD DVD/GPS unit and installed that.

i still have the stock FORD SONY 6000CD in the cupboard, but with a twist, blue illumination :lol: i took it out because i bought a clone FORD DVD/GPS unit and installed that.

Were you looking to sell?

If so what colour fascia does it have and have you the code?

If it's a good price i may go for it.

Blue lights look better than the standard green or red.

I have a standard 6000 at the moment but tried to get a cheap 6006cdc but it was only good for spares.

Changed the fascias over from dark grey to silver and swapped over the eject/load buttons for the standard single eject button.

• 1 month later...

i still have the stock FORD SONY 6000CD in the cupboard, but with a twist, blue illumination laugh.gif i took it out because i bought a clone FORD DVD/GPS unit and installed that.

Sorry to dig up a bit of an old one...

what is your clone ford dvd/gps make? costly? if you dont mind me asking, its just im looking for something else and the more info i can find the better...

• 1 month later...

sorry for being away for so long, it cost around £280...comes with DVD/CD/GPS/Bluetooth/Aux/usb/ipod capability...got it of qualirdvdgps site...will have to search on google.

• 1 month later...

What map light did you use in the end? I've got a Mk2 Zetec and I want to fit one, but can't find what car I need to source one from.

This is the same one that i have fitted,

The standard map bulbs tend to be a dingy yellow colour so i recommend coloured bulbs.

If you change the bulbs when the unit is fitted you will blow the fuse so i recommend removing the fuse or the unit connections if doing so.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-C-MAX-INTERIOR-3-BUTTON-MAP-LIGHT-2003-2007-/330705699511?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cff9882b7

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Guys what LEDs size are fiting in heaters switch?