Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 7 1.6 Tdci (95Bhp) Mpg Issues, Anyone Else?

happyarthur1979

If you have an iPhone you can also get the Econo Check App... lol

d9856043.jpg

Of course its all based on calculations, not actual data... but its good for finding dealers...

Car booked into Gates on Wednesday.

Let's see what happens...

Cheers

Rog

Just got the car back from Gates. They have updated the software for the PCM (Power Control Module?). Only driven a mile back from the dealer so far so can't report any more yet...

I'll have to see what the MPG's like when I jump on the motorway to pop up and see my brother this evening.

Cheers

Rog

i have a 95ps 2011 plate fiesta zetec s tdci and i am getting 48.8 mpg and its falling even though i am driving the same route at the same speed and with the same driving style. will having my ecu reflashed make any differance and i always fill up at tesco so it mightt be crap quality deisel or a real problem

i have a 95ps 2011 plate fiesta zetec s tdci and i am getting 48.8 mpg and its falling even though i am driving the same route at the same speed and with the same driving style. will having my ecu reflashed make any differance and i always fill up at tesco so it mightt be crap quality deisel or a real problem

It's not the overall MPG that concerns me - it's the fact that I am getting worse MPG when on a run compared to round town.

I always use Esso. Morrisons in particular round here is always queuing round the block at all times of the day. Tesco is nearly as bad. Esso is always empty and is the same price as Morrisons anyway!

Cheers

Rog

i have it on good authority (from a friend who works in the oil industry) that lately diesel has been of a slighly worse quality (something to do with the flashpoint and hexane value) because of the market.

good news is, apparently if iraq starts producing oil soon, prices will plummet and the quality will also go back up. to the point where we MIGHT be seeing less than £1 at the pumps for petrol. but again, its all speculation at the moment B)

less than £1! that would be great!! lets not get our hopes up however :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone happy new year, new member here,

I've noticed I'm getting around the same mileage as rojariggs was, I also have a dpf equipped 2011 plate 1.6 TDCI Zetec S, I would be intrigued to know if the PCM software update he had done recently made any difference?? If it did I know where I'm off to in the next few days:) Any chance of some feedback rojariggs please.

Cheers

Hello everyone happy new year, new member here,

I've noticed I'm getting around the same mileage as rojariggs was, I also have a dpf equipped 2011 plate 1.6 TDCI Zetec S, I would be intrigued to know if the PCM software update he had done recently made any difference?? If it did I know where I'm off to in the next few days:) Any chance of some feedback rojariggs please.

Cheers

I was waiting until I'd done a full tank since they ran the update so I could accurately calculate the MPG. It's looking better according to the computer at the moment.

On a traffic free run up to the coast (80-ish miles) it did 68mpg average. On the return I had to pop into a couple of town centres and hit quite a bit of traffic. Average when I got home was 61mpg average.

I'll post again later this week when I fill up and work out the whole tank's mpg.

Cheers

Rog

That's the fill up done...

Averaged out at 58.4mpg which is a 9mpg improvement on the last tank. For the time of year and considering that all was round town except for one trip to the coast I don't think that's bad.

Have to see how this next tank goes...

Cheers

Rog

Cheers for the update Rog,

Thats an impressive improvement for upgrading the PCM, be interesting how repeatable the results are over the next few weeks and months. And it does make you wonder what Ford do between software upgrades. My dpf 11 plate Zetec S TDCI model is getting approx 52mpg (If I drove like a saint in summer never exceeding 55mph it would just do 60mpg over a tank, but jeeez it was dull), I will get the car booked into my local dealer and get my software updated in the next few weeks. Will then feedback my findings. Have to admit I'm still surprised, no make that gobsmacked that nothing more than software can add well in excess of a 10% efficiency, infact nearly 20% improvement!!, but it sounds like its worth doing.

If it turns out the improvement is repeatable, Ford must have had a really poor tune on the engine from new.

Still I can't complain my last car was a Focus ST, returning at best 26mpg, so I'm still paying half per month in fuel.... good for stocking up on beer tokens ;)

Cheers

I changed from a 58 plate zetc s tdci to a 60 plate (95 BHP) zetec s tdci, old fiesta i was heavy footed and was averaging 55 mpg combined, new fiesta averaging 50 mpg on a & b roads and only 46 mpg doing steady 70 mph on motorway. This is crap, took it into ford this morning and have one of the Econo things connected to car for next 7 days. I am finding i am having to drive like miss daisy to get anywhere near reasonable MPG but to get less on the motorway is !Removed!.

Toyed with the BMW 1 series but opted for the new fiesta as it looks the part but sadly defo doesnt deliver either on performance or economy, my previous fiesta !Removed! all over the newer model in every way except road noise. Saying that if i go over 80 mph in my new fiesta it has an annoying low frequency drone.

To everyone that has a new diesel, I didn't see over 60mpg until after 15,000 miles. They do take time to 'bed in', or so I'm told.

For the first 15k I would see anything from 48-55mpg. Now I'm up to 63.

9jkn0l.jpg

iNath... i have heard the same thing. Hence why i am not worried about it. Mines only done 6000 miles, plus with the cold weather... im not fussed that im only doing 47ish mpg.. its an improvemnt over my last TDCi anyway lol! I had that in the mid 30's usually lol!

I have 10500 on the clock, only getting 46 mpg on the motorway diving like an old woman is !Removed!, Engine must be run in by now, hence looking to offload it after only a month of having it.

iNath.. whats that a screenshot from?

Click on the mpg in my sig ;)

Inath, looked at your figures, cant understand why my MPG are a mile from yours as same car and im driving like miss daisy and cant get the piece of junk above 50 mpg, motorway is only 46 mpg and thats driving at a steady 70 mph.

Inath, looked at your figures, cant understand why my MPG are a mile from yours as same car and im driving like miss daisy and cant get the piece of junk above 50 mpg, motorway is only 46 mpg and thats driving at a steady 70 mph.

I rarely drive above 60, cruise in the inside lane of the M1 and my car's done more miles.

I rarely drive above 60, cruise in the inside lane of the M1 and my car's done more miles.

Agreed. Keeping at around 60-65mph makes a big difference. 70mph and above and the mpg falls back towards 50mpg.

Cheers

Rog

My numbers ( converted to UK style ):

smqcci.jpg

24ytpgp.jpg

Last trip from Antwerp to Bucuresti and back :

5odw5w.jpg

I only started to drive 100 % economical after 6 months coz everyone told me to " drive the car/engine in ". I still regret not to have done it from day one ...

Wow looking at submitted figures i think the fiesta i have just brought is a bit of a lemon, i change gear as soon as the green arrow indictor comes on, i read the road well so avoid sharp breaking and accelertion and generally drive like miss daisy, auto trader here i come.

i change gear as soon as the green arrow indictor comes on,

That got right on my !Removed! so I disabled it! biggrin.gif

Do you know if your car's had the update for the PCM yet? It does improve fuel economy (but IMHO causes extra turbo lag)

Might be worth getting an Econocheck check done at the dealer if you want to prove your driving style's not at fault.

I have an older 110 1.6TDCi. It always returns over 50mpg, (best was 68mpg), on a run and 46+ around town. mpg always drops off in cold weather which a friend with a 2.0 TDCi has also noticed. Something to do with mixture settings I was told? Once my mpg really dropped of severly and I found a crack, (gaping great hole actually), in the turbo intercooler pipe.Changing it solved the problem. I guess you have no leaks?

It does improve fuel economy (but IMHO causes extra turbo lag)

I have to admit that I have noticed this too!