Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Side Window Rubbers Not Clearing Window

catnapping123

Hi there,

Just bought an 05 plate Focus Estate, just trying to sort out the niggles. Any ideas on this one, when the driver and passenger side electric windows are misty, or very wet, I usually clear them by opening and closing the window however, on this car the windows go up and down and the rubber blades down't touch them, they come back up with the mist/droplets of water completely unmoved - what do I need to do? Replace the rubbers? Can't find anything on google.

Clean the glass first with something like autogylm fast glass. If it's really bad you could renew the pollen filter.

Clean the glass first with something like autogylm fast glass. If it's really bad you could renew the pollen filter.

dont think yiou understood the question hes saying that the window rubbers dont touch the window on the outside so dont clear the windows the inside rubbers shouldnt touch the window the outside ones should if they dont its likely they need renewed

If the moisture is on the outside you can often clear it by pushing on the glass as you lower and raise it.

If the moisture is on the outside you can often clear it by pushing on the glass as you lower and raise it.

if the outside doesnt touch the window its time to replace as they deflect most of the rain away from the inside of the doors with a big gap all that rain just runs into the door and out the drain holes and wont help with moisture build up much if we are talking inside then you need to check for moisture if its bad under the driver and passenger carpet and in the boot especially under the roof lining where it pulls down at the rear leaky washer pipe or even a burst one

Thank you for this, I was wondering if it was a design thing because even the back ones are the same and I've never seen this before on all the (really) old cars I've driven in the past.

So - is this a garage only thing and any ideas how much? Or even what the things are called when I try to describe them to the parts guy?

Many thanks - Katie

what you need to ask you dealer for is the exterior cantrails thats the technical name for them

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem, I thought it was the rubbers, but the cost of replacing them over just putting up with it, doesn't add up to me! have you managed to get a quote for this at all? I would be interested to see what they charge!

Isn't this just a design fault as opposed to any problem with the side rubbers? None of the side rubbers on my Focus clear the windows and whilst I can see one or two of the side rubbers may be faulty, I doubt all four are.

• Like 1

if the outside doesnt touch the window its time to replace as they deflect most of the rain away from the inside of the doors with a big gap all that rain just runs into the door and out the drain holes

I think that because the door slopes inward at the top when the glass is lowered it tends to pull inwards and when raised it tends to push outwards. So when fully raised it may well be in contact with the rubber but lose contact as soon as it moves.

winding the windows up and down DOESNT clear the moisture on the outside of my 06 plate focus's windows either. or my mates. i think thats just the design

My 59 plate was the same from brand new....... they don't clear the outside of the window like the earlier models did. Pity !

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a 55 plate Focus, and the side windows don't clear on that either.

Is this definitely a design problem? Are there any DIY/modifications around to try and remedy this?

I recently bought a 55 plate Focus, and the side windows don't clear on that either.

Is this definitely a design problem? Are there any DIY/modifications around to try and remedy this?

I have got a 56 reg. The rubbers do not clear the side windows either when going up or down. I think it is a design fault or it is meant to be like this for unknown reasons. Its not because other cars do it that all cars should do it.

Certainly seems to be a design issue, as mjt said, its the slope of the windows.

You could probably retro fit something like a "squeegee" to the outside door panel, but as to how well that will work or not, I certainly wont bother trying!

• 3 years later...

A big bump I know but I don't suppose anyone got a work around for this yet?

Same with my 10 plate focus, it doesn't clear. Design fault everyone has it.

Never looked into a solution for it because tbh once heated screen activated and heaters on it clears really fast from the sides, furthermore it seems to clear only the gap beside wing mirrors and that's good enough for me

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

aye, just pulling out of the drive this morning after a heavy shower, dropped the window to clear the beads of water off to see what was coming and nothing, what went down came up again, the passenger side one does the same only to a lesser extent but it at least attempts to clear it

• 1 year later...

funny how its not just me that noticed this - helpfull to find that out haha

i found that if i sorta run my finger down the rubber beading, its clears the window on the next "up" but stops then. Thinking of puttin somthing between the flaps.... maybe some thin wire or silicone beading. i dunno. was hoping to find the answer here!!

I just do mine with the rubber strip on my ice scraper before I drive off after it's been raining, not really that big a deal.

I'm thinking some kinda ultra hydrophobic coating might be worth a shot

I'm thinking some kinda ultra hydrophobic coating might be worth a shot

I tried this.. it doesn't solve the problem. it just means the water that's left on the glass beads instead of smearing :)

I'm looking at New window seals..

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

dont waste money on window seals they are all the same from the factory I know I wasted money doing it its the design and shape of the door nothing will change that

glass curves 1 way door curves the other,  probably on oversite on mr ford designers behalf, :wink: just wipe it with a squeegee of some description

The glass beading is worse than smearing tbh, it just sits there even at 40mph lol.  I tend to put the windows down until I've got some speed up.  The 'heater' is just blowing cold air for that first minute or so anyway so it's no colder tbh. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club