Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Advisorys

focusdriver

I had my MOT and the garage made 3 advisory s which were

1. Change Fuel Belt - £280

2. Replace Bonnet - Release Catch - £170

3. New Front Discs (£200), Rear Discs (£160) - £360

This came to £810 altogether and I didn't go ahead with them as I wanted to get some more info first. The garage was a Vauxhall garage.

Since then I've rung a Ford garage who tell me that the Belt doesn't need to be changed for another 25K miles (it used be 100K on older models but is now 125K - my car has done 100K).

They will do the bonnet catch and the brake discs for a similar price but I'm a bit worried that they don't need doing (I've had no problems with the bonnet) so I've booked it for a half hr check up (£42) where they will check the bonnet and discs.

Was this a good idea, or could I have left it? What do most people do with advisorys - have the work done or leave it until the next service?

Thanks in advance.

as for the belt, its not going to fail an mot - if they were in any doubt over it they shouldnt have tested the car and advised you why.

what is wrong with the bonnet catch? if it works correctly and secures the bonnet i dont see any reason for an advisory

discs and pads, without seeing them i can comment but if they are really worn or damaged then replace them.

apart from the brakes (without seeing them - they are asking a bit much though!) i would say they are pulling your leg for money mate, if in doubt get a second opinion from another garage.

Sounds like your garage are ripping you right off with them quotes there - lucky for you though, your car didn't fail on any of the above!

You can pick up new front discs and pads together for around £40 and get new rear discs and pads together for around £35 too, I got some Mintex front & rear discs and pads delivered off eBay for £75. My local garage quoted me £80 to get all of the discs & pads fitted so altogether I would round it all up to around £183 inc. VAT for the entire job (I haven't had mine fitted yet though as I haven't got the spare £80). I recommend that you get new pads as well as new discs as the pads are changable there and then while you are at it and also if the old dics are badly worn, this will also cause the pads to wear down a lot quicker than usual.

Also what do you mean about the Fuel Belt? Never heard of it myself lol the only other belts you might be on about is the Timing Belt or the Auxillary Belt? If it is either of these then the recommended times to get both of these belts is every 100,000 miles or every 10 years.

If your original bonnet release catch still works fine then don't worry about it. It's likely the garage might be trying to fleece money from you by the sound of it.

Liam

agree with previous answers...your garage are ripping you off and giving very bad advice...find a local small garage with a good reputation and avoid main dealers like the plague unless absolutely neccasary

Thanks for the advice.

1. The timing belt - I'd been told that my car has a chain but the guy said there was a fuel pump belt and also another belt (not quite sure which). Anyway, I rang a Ford dealer and he said it should be changed every 10 years or 125K miles so it has 25K miles left in it yet. He said a lot of garages get this wrong as it's 100K on older models.

2. The bonnet catch - I've never had a problem with the bonnet and I think he was either trying to get some money out of me or it may be corroded in some way - I'm checking it tomorrow in the day light.

3. The brake discs - I'm getting them checked by a Ford dealer next week - it's costing £42 (the same price as the MOT) but better safe than sorry.

Bottom line - I won't be using that garage again.

Thanks for the advice.

1. The timing belt - I'd been told that my car has a chain but the guy said there was a fuel pump belt and also another belt (not quite sure which). Anyway, I rang a Ford dealer and he said it should be changed every 10 years or 125K miles so it has 25K miles left in it yet. He said a lot of garages get this wrong as it's 100K on older models.

2. The bonnet catch - I've never had a problem with the bonnet and I think he was either trying to get some money out of me or it may be corroded in some way - I'm checking it tomorrow in the day light.

3. The brake discs - I'm getting them checked by a Ford dealer next week - it's costing £42 (the same price as the MOT) but better safe than sorry.

if they brakes and bonnet catch turn out to be absolutely perfect, with no reasons to advise i would be making a call to vosa to make them aware of this garage..

Thanks for the advice.

The 1.8TDCi isn't chain driven (if it was, timing chain's don't really get changed on engines but they do get maintained at a certain interval but it depends), it's belt driven and I wouldn't wait until the 125K mark to get it changed as it's been known that either the belt can snap or the tensioner can fail before the recommended interval and because yours is now at 100K miles I would highly recommend getting it changed now and not risk it otherwise if either fails then you could be looking at £££ for new engine. On the petrol engines the timing belt and tensioner recommended change time is every 100K miles or 10 years but a lot of people get them done at 80K just to be on the safe side.

Yeah it sounds like to be that the Auxillary belt powering the fuel pump.

Liam

according to autodata the 1.8tdci can be belt or chain. IIRC my dads 1.8tdci is a chain drive one..

according to autodata the 1.8tdci can be belt or chain. IIRC my dads 1.8tdci is a chain drive one..

typical because vauxhall are ofering there unlimited warranty they need to get the cash somewhere the price even at ford would be less than what they qouted new disks ands pads wouldnt cost more than a hundred to buy and are fairly easy to fit youreself

typical because vauxhall are ofering there unlimited warranty they need to get the cash somewhere the price even at ford would be less than what they qouted new disks ands pads wouldnt cost more than a hundred to buy and are fairly easy to fit youreself

now thats a thought..

According to Haynes the camshaft is belt-driven off the high-pressure pump shaft which itself is chain-driven from the crank. Are you sure this isn't causing some confusion?

According to Haynes the camshaft is belt-driven off the high-pressure pump shaft which itself is chain-driven from the crank. Are you sure this isn't causing some confusion?

you could be right actually, i would need to double check but that does sound good..

on second thoughts, i think that is spot on. well spotted mate.

you could be right actually, i would need to double check but that does sound good..

on second thoughts, i think that is spot on. well spotted mate.

vauxhall have always been bad for over pricing but its true since the unlimited warranty turned up prices have shot up only prob is it doesnt cover wear and tear so whats the point

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club