Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 1.6Tdci (95)

Dougal

Hi folks

I have moved from a 1.6 TDCi (90) Zetect to a 1.6TDCi (95) Zetec S. Does anyone else think the new engine is unrefined? It seems really jerky to me at low revs and the fuel consumtion isn't a patch on the (90). I am finding a flat spot at around 2k revs when changing between 1st and 2nd gear, and when driving, and lifting off the gas (even a fraction), the jerk of the engine is quite substantial.

Its a great little car if driven hard, but its a not a patch on the on the previous engine for refinement it seems.

Previsouly on a good run to Manchester and back (from Halifax) I have had 68MPG whereas now on a similar run now I am getting 53mpg. There is a little more power granted, but the economy is far poorer.

Is anyone else finding this, or am i just having a moan? ;)

Yes!! C'mon the 90ps!! lol

Sorry, completely in helpful but I don't feel as bad having the 90ps now.

If it's any help you can get the ecu reflashed if you moan to ford, but if it's fairly new it'll already have the latest software.

HI there

I have just done similar.....gone from a remapped Mk6.5 TDCI to a Mk7 95ps.....carnt say im THAT impressed so far...! The throttle is as you described and my economy is around 48-52mpg compaired to 56-60on the older car, but ill put that down to the lack of miles on the 95ps engine.

The sweet spot on my car is bewteen 2000-2700 rpm at the minute...the flat spot you speak about is almost certain to be a deliberate thing from Ford to achieve CO emissions + the DPF wont help alot either.

BUT.....the build quality is better and the handling is also better along with ride quality. And I have driven a 95ps with 6000miles on the clock and im happy to say that engine was ALOT better....

Thanx

Ken

my 95ps engine has now done 6000 miles and fuel economy is at 48-52

I am finding a flat spot at around 2k revs when changing between 1st and 2nd gear, and when driving, and lifting off the gas (even a fraction), the jerk of the engine is quite substantial.

Is anyone else finding this, or am i just having a moan? ;)

Glad it's not just me, there's some mornings where it runs on kangaroo juice! Also like you said if I take foot off pedal at low revs it jerks a lot quite violently.

my 95ps engine has now done 6000 miles and fuel economy is at 48-52

Yeah but mine did it first :P

A friend of mine owns/runs a garage and has 15+ years in ECU tuning/mapping and engine "tweeking" we are going to try and look at the throttle issue and with any luck the current mapping will show its quite lumpy and that should be easy to fix. One slight problem I know is the MK7 ECU needs to be removed to read or map as it stands now, and there is a cage around the ECU secured with a sheer bolt. Ive ordered a few from Ford but they are on back order for a week as they are coming from Germany.

Im not looking to get more power at the minute as the engine is still new and tight.....I just want the throttle better..ill try and report back anything we find.

Ken

Delayed reply. It seems a mixed bag. If you drive it fast, then the lumpiness seems negligible, but in turn MPG is pants. I think the drastic reduction in MPG from the 95ps is my main beef. I once got 70mpg in that....I doubt it from the 95ps. Its seems a shame that I get less MPG from a 95 Fiesta than I did in my 150 Alfa 147. That would give me 55mpg on a run, and I did part of that run at 125mph!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club