Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Range Issue

cressws1

The fuel range on my mk1 trip computer seems to not be recognising me putting fuel in the car. The normal fuel gauge needle on the speedo works fine but the range computer is stuck on 39 miles, This is annoying as it keeps beeping to tell me im almost out of fuel!

Is there a way of resetting the trip computer other than disconnecting the battery? Does anyone know what the 'R' button does on the computer because as far as I can see it doesn't do anything when i press it.

Any help much appreciated.

Also does disconnecting the battery cause the mileage to reset to 0000000? If so Im not doing it.

The R button resets those display functions which are resettable (outside temp is not, for example). If you have the display set to average MPG and press R the display should go to zero then start accumulating average readings from scratch. This will therefore also affect the range display.

Note that the MPG reading is calculated from the odometer and fuel injector signals so will still display if there's a fuel gauge problem. The range is then calculated from average MPG and fuel gauge values so it seems like the computer isn't receiving the info from the fuel gauge.

Disconnecting the battery won't affect the odometer reading. Think about it - if it did the reading would get reset every time someone needed a new battery!

Thanks.

It just seems strange that it was working fine before I put 20 quids worth of fuel in, Now its just not recognised it. Although it is slowly creeping up as I drive instead of going down, It should just recognise the information the next time the car is started after filling up (like the normal fuel gauge)

Sorry I think you misunderstood. The issue here isn't the MPG calculation, It's fuel range. (How many more miles before you run out of fuel)

Check for any DTC codes on the computer, you may find that there is one or two there for the signals...?

Sorry I think you misunderstood. The issue here isn't the MPG calculation, It's fuel range. (How many more miles before you run out of fuel)

Sorry I misread your original post. It sounds like a dirty or malfunctioning sensor or an ecu fault. I would get a diagnostic done on her. :)

Sorry I misread your original post. It sounds like a dirty or malfunctioning sensor or an ecu fault. I would get a diagnostic done on her. :)

if the computers not standard to the car ie fitted by you the ecu may not have the correct programming for that function what you would have had to start with would work but you dont have the settings in the programming to recognise fuel has been added to calculate it and goive you the miles common issue with retro fit trip computers when the car doesnt have the programming depends on where and when the car was built as to what you have and dont have

if the computers not standard to the car ie fitted by you the ecu may not have the correct programming for that function what you would have had to start with would work but you dont have the settings in the programming to recognise fuel has been added to calculate it and goive you the miles common issue with retro fit trip computers when the car doesnt have the programming depends on where and when the car was built as to what you have and dont have

Filled up many times since retro fitting the trip comp and everytime its recognised the fuel fine, So I dont think its that the ECU was never programmed for it. I've checked for DTC codes and got none. Also about 8 weeks ago my car had a full electrical diagnostic done as part of having 2 new keys programmed to the ecu and there were no errors returned.

To add to this I got in the car this morning and the problem was solved, My only guess could be if there was a tiny bit of moisture/water in the fuel tank and this caused the sensor to freeze with the recent minus temperatures? Probably a long shot but Im out of ideas.

Thanks for all your advice, Will come back to this if it happens again.

I got in the car this morning and the problem was solved, My only guess could be if there was a tiny bit of moisture/water in the fuel tank and this caused the sensor to freeze with the recent minus temperatures?

If it had been that it would have affected the fuel gauge and you said that was reading ok.

If it had been that it would have affected the fuel gauge and you said that was reading ok.

sounds like it was just moisture or even frozen if all was working fine maybe worth rechecking the wiring when you get a chance just to make sure its not a loose wire

some focis are preprogrammed with alkl the extras such as trip computer etc as they have the wiring some have the wires but ford got wise to the fact that people coukld buy lower sopec cars and kit them out themselves so the stopped programming the cars youre like me all is programmed in you just need to fit the bits to make it work like the 6 speed wipers many cant even do that as the wires etc are gone