Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Owner, 2 Probems

gixerboy

Hi all, just bought a 05 1.4 petrol Fusion, I really like the car, but have two problems,

1. the car idles ok, but every 10 seconds or so, it changes the idle, almost as if it has an engine misfire, then its fine for another 10 seconds

2. driving tday, after 50 miles, the car started hesitating while cruising, like fuel starvation, it was low on fuel, but not empty, aftr putting fuel in, the problem disappeared. Its the first time it has done it. (I have only had it a week)

Bought it private from a chap who owned it from new, so can't take it back to a garage.

The car has 32000miles on the clock, and was last serviced 2 weeks ago, before I took ownership of it, it was serviced by the same garage from new.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Hi all, just bought a 05 1.4 petrol Fusion, I really like the car, but have two problems,

1. the car idles ok, but every 10 seconds or so, it changes the idle, almost as if it has an engine misfire, then its fine for another 10 seconds

2. driving tday, after 50 miles, the car started hesitating while cruising, like fuel starvation, it was low on fuel, but not empty, aftr putting fuel in, the problem disappeared. Its the first time it has done it. (I have only had it a week)

Bought it private from a chap who owned it from new, so can't take it back to a garage.

The car has 32000miles on the clock, and was last serviced 2 weeks ago, before I took ownership of it, it was serviced by the same garage from new.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

hi gixer boy, if you feel its a fuel starvation problem then i would suggest the fuel filter may need changing, it may be partially blocked and starving the engine. i realise the car has been recently serviced however was the filter relaced? i have also noted that after a fairly long drive the car started to hesitate, i have known cars develop a vacuum in the tank because they arnt breathing properly and the vacuum in the tank begins to starve the engine, when you refuelled did you notice an audible hiss when you undid the filler cap,this could be a possible cause, because the tank would have had a good gulp of air and equalised the pressure. if it drove ok thereafter then this may be the problem. some other owners may have experienced similar probs and maybe able to help you out.

on the other problem i would recommend checking the standard stuff like plugs etc,however if you take your petrol filler cap off and leave the engine idle and it cures the minor blip in idle speed it could prove the fuel starvation problem.

hope this helps

hi gixer boy, if you feel its a fuel starvation problem then i would suggest the fuel filter may need changing, it may be partially blocked and starving the engine. i realise the car has been recently serviced however was the filter relaced? i have also noted that after a fairly long drive the car started to hesitate, i have known cars develop a vacuum in the tank because they arnt breathing properly and the vacuum in the tank begins to starve the engine, when you refuelled did you notice an audible hiss when you undid the filler cap,this could be a possible cause, because the tank would have had a good gulp of air and equalised the pressure. if it drove ok thereafter then this may be the problem. some other owners may have experienced similar probs and maybe able to help you out.

on the other problem i would recommend checking the standard stuff like plugs etc,however if you take your petrol filler cap off and leave the engine idle and it cures the minor blip in idle speed it could prove the fuel starvation problem.

hope this helps

Thanks, The fuel filter was replaced (according to the receipt), I did wonder about a blocked breather. I will try idling the car with the cap off and report back. Is there a breather in the cap? I can describe the fuel starvation (if it is that) as being the same feeling as putting your foot down in an automatic car, and having that drop in revs and hesitation as it changes gear, its just like that, hesitates, then drives ok until you acceletate again.

Thanks, The fuel filter was replaced (according to the receipt), I did wonder about a blocked breather. I will try idling the car with the cap off and report back. Is there a breather in the cap? I can describe the fuel starvation (if it is that) as being the same feeling as putting your foot down in an automatic car, and having that drop in revs and hesitation as it changes gear, its just like that, hesitates, then drives ok until you acceletate again.

hi gixerboy i havent got a manual for your vehicle but it would be highly unlikely to have a breather in the cap, more likely it will have a seperate hose alongside the refill hose and i have no doubt it would be a bit of a challenge. do you have access to a manual?. on a foot note maybe you could check out your spark plugs and ht leads with regards the slight misfire at idle, just incase you have two faults. modern leads are very good however when they begin to break down inside it is more apparent when they get hot (ie long drive).

hi gixerboy i havent got a manual for your vehicle but it would be highly unlikely to have a breather in the cap, more likely it will have a seperate hose alongside the refill hose and i have no doubt it would be a bit of a challenge. do you have access to a manual?. on a foot note maybe you could check out your spark plugs and ht leads with regards the slight misfire at idle, just incase you have two faults. modern leads are very good however when they begin to break down inside it is more apparent when they get hot (ie long drive).

Thanks taffg, think I'll do the leads this weekend, and see how it goes from there.

Thanks taffg, think I'll do the leads this weekend, and see how it goes from there.

Well, sent it in to the garage today, turns out its the fuel pump, getting it done, so fingers crossed it will be fixed.

Well, sent it in to the garage today, turns out its the fuel pump, getting it done, so fingers crossed it will be fixed.

So, £311 later, one new fuel pump and idling is as it should be and no more rough running. Hope this helps some one in future with the same problem.

So, £311 later, one new fuel pump and idling is as it should be and no more rough running. Hope this helps some one in future with the same problem.

ouch gixerboy £311 hurts but my tv died 2 days ago so i reckon i will be £500 lighter by the weekend. glad its sorted though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club