Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1.5 Zetec Advice

mcbzzz

Hi All,

Just joined and have a few questions for the forum users. I have a 2001 3dr 1.6 Zetec Auto, (wife's car). The car drives well, but I am planning to get a few issues sorted over the next month or so. The car has done 83K miles, and since we got it in the summer, we have given it an overdue service, cambelt change, exhaust manifold, rear brake cylinders and sagging hatchback struts. I also replaced the headlight bulbs this weekend, which was a right pain on the passenger side.

1. Suspension is a bit tired. I have sourced KYB Gas shocks and have been quoted 4 hours labour to fit. Does this sound right?

2. Knocks/clonks when hitting bumps. Would new shocks solve this or is it likely to be something like a drop link ?

3. How do you adjust the door check straps? the 3 door has big heavy doors, and the don't easily stay in the open position. Bit annoying when the swing back onto your legs!

4. Front bumper adjustment - under the driver's headlight there is a much bigger gap than passenger side. Is there a fixing/screw underneath?

Anyway thanks in advance,

Barry

Hi All,

Just joined and have a few questions for the forum users. I have a 2001 3dr 1.6 Zetec Auto, (wife's car). The car drives well, but I am planning to get a few issues sorted over the next month or so. The car has done 83K miles, and since we got it in the summer, we have given it an overdue service, cambelt change, exhaust manifold, rear brake cylinders and sagging hatchback struts. I also replaced the headlight bulbs this weekend, which was a right pain on the passenger side.

1. Suspension is a bit tired. I have sourced KYB Gas shocks and have been quoted 4 hours labour to fit. Does this sound right?

2. Knocks/clonks when hitting bumps. Would new shocks solve this or is it likely to be something like a drop link ?

3. How do you adjust the door check straps? the 3 door has big heavy doors, and the don't easily stay in the open position. Bit annoying when the swing back onto your legs!

4. Front bumper adjustment - under the driver's headlight there is a much bigger gap than passenger side. Is there a fixing/screw underneath?

Anyway thanks in advance,

Barry

4 hours sounds about right depends on the bumps mate the zetec is stiffer springs fitted so doesnt soak up large bumps that well have the drop links and rear upper suspension arm bushes checked and front wishbone and droplinks if they are all ok leave it youll never make it go away

I've got the same EXACT thing on my Focus with the passenger headlight and a bit on the drivers side too! I can literally just about fit a finger between the headlight and the bumper and on the driver's side their is not as much of a gap - probably only half a centimetre.

I'm confused to why their is such a gap as well but personally I think it may be that the headlight unit itself may not be as big in diameter as the bumper allignment to me looks absolutely spot on and I have removed both headlights as well while carrying out bulb changes and even after fitting them back on the car they still look the same with the same gapping (the headlamps only have 3 fixing screws, 2 at the top on the headlight and 1 at the side of the unit). I have seen over MK1.5 Focus's about too with this same gap between the headlights and the bumper.

Liam

I've got the same EXACT thing on my Focus with the passenger headlight and a bit on the drivers side too! I can literally just about fit a finger between the headlight and the bumper and on the driver's side their is not as much of a gap - probably only half a centimetre.

I'm confused to why their is such a gap as well but personally I think it may be that the headlight unit itself may not be as big in diameter as the bumper allignment to me looks absolutely spot on and I have removed both headlights as well while carrying out bulb changes and even after fitting them back on the car they still look the same with the same gapping (the headlamps only have 3 fixing screws, 2 at the top on the headlight and 1 at the side of the unit). I have seen over MK1.5 Focus's about too with this same gap between the headlights and the bumper.

Liam

Problem: Poor ventilation and misted glass.

Solution: Install a modified cover on the forced air extractors, remove part of the bumper padding to increase the air flow rate and install a new blower motor resistor.

thats why theres a bigger gap it was a redesign due to poor ventilation from the heater the gap allows more airflow all focis from 99 onwards should have a larger gap under the driver headlight

Thanks for your comments guys. Much appreciated.

Glad the garage isn't ripping me off, as its a new one I'm trying near my work. Just need the shocks to arrive, as they have been held up in the snow. I'll get the garage to look at the drop links, and wishbone /suspension arm bushes while they are doing the shocks, as its all in much the same area anyway.

Strange about the bumper gap - I have never heard of that. Maybe our Focus is normal. I'll need to keep any eye out for another car of teh same age to see if its similar.

Can the door check straps be abjusted - is it a matter of tightening the torx bolts, or have they just worn over time?

Problem: Poor ventilation and misted glass.

Solution: Install a modified cover on the forced air extractors, remove part of the bumper padding to increase the air flow rate and install a new blower motor resistor.

thats why theres a bigger gap it was a redesign due to poor ventilation from the heater the gap allows more airflow all focis from 99 onwards should have a larger gap under the driver headlight

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club