Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Up Grading Focus Door Speakers

whitelightning

Hi all

Up grading my sounds.......99 focus Zetec

I had heard that you can switch out factory fit 5x7 Speakers for 6x9's with an adaptor. has any one done this?

Is the depth of the speaker an issue? window might foul i guess?

Also has anyone run power leads from battery to amps and sub? Cant seem to find a route through to the engine bay.

Hi all

Up grading my sounds.......99 focus Zetec

I had heard that you can switch out factory fit 5x7 speakers for 6x9's with an adaptor. has any one done this?

Is the depth of the speaker an issue? window might foul i guess?

Also has anyone run power leads from battery to amps and sub? Cant seem to find a route through to the engine bay.

the ford alternator isnt up to running subs and amps to be fair which is why many upgrade the alternator you dont need to but whack it on with lights etc youll see why the balternator struggles to cope youll need a heavy duty silver calcium or double calcium battery first routing is through the bulkhead behind the bay fuse box then down through the door strips to the rear you will need adaptors a lot of faffing about as you can buy Speakers ready to fit the car

Ta

thanks for your input....who needs lights anyway?/

Ta

thanks for your input....who needs lights anyway?/

the fronts are 6x8 and the rears 5x7 though you can fit 6x8 in the rear as well or 5x7 in the front 6x9 will fit but you need to get spedcific ones the depth has to be spot on even when using adaptors this may help upgraded Speakers with fittings for ford focus from mac audio http://www.incar-emporium.com/product_info.php?cPath=190_194&products_id=3605&TeKnoID=68f52dfa3769b934737748571f9df04d for the fronts and the rears http://www.incar-emporium.com/product_info.php?cPath=190_194&products_id=3606&TeKnoID=bfa4dbaa70f8be158beeacd8880bbd49 dont put 6x9s in the rear shelf if you plan on using a sub these Speakers will work with subs etc as for the wiring behind the glovebox fusebox youll find the grommet the wiring goes through from the bay thats the best place to fit which will allow you to run the wire into the plastic inside sill cover to the rear of the car

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant!

Thanks for info very helpful.

Boom Boom Sound good. Will finish the lot when snow clears!

Dont really want 6x9's on rear shelf......Im not 19 any more lol!!!!

Cheers

I was going to do this but couldant get any adaptors so ended up with farty 5" ones that said they were vibe black air's with component control and tweeters so hurt your ears if turned past 12 haha nearly killed my focus though ford electrics are completely and utterly !Removed! cant tap anything into it or they just die that said once i removed the 1200w amp it ran a dream after lol.

The speaker sizes in my focus 3dr were huge cant remember what exactly but they were bigger than 6x9 :huh:

Art's right about wiring though there's plenty of room under the bottom door trim for plenty of cables i think i had about 4-6 running under it at one point just when u remove this be careful with the carpet it tears quite easily and clips break off the trim if ur brutal enough. Also with the rear Speakers there's sod all depth there so if u can check before u buy pointless advice really but yeah i had the big sound system in my focus and hated it the ford stuff is good quality so honestly i wouldn't replace unless you need to.

Well u lot know yer stuff. I have shelved the amp idea and the 6x9's! Ford do an upgrade speaker which will of course fit

I have a 150w sub box with built in amp for my bass needs and not everyone elses!! Cheers for info

Questions is - with the factory head unit where do you connect the sub to? There's no sub out is there?

On the basis that freeing the existing Speakers of dealing with the bass should improve sound quality - I've been pondering how to get around this.

Option a) is just to connect the sub the rear Speakers with a suitable resitor divider and inductor (to make a variable low pass filter) then set the bass setting to flat on the HU and use the sub to boost the bass. Option B) is similar but with a 22uF capacitor is line with the existing Speakers to cut the bass on them and turn the sub up more to make the sub to all the bass work. This should work better as it will free up the main speakers from all the bass, not just part of it.

Errr sure that sounds like it might work i guess....

or..... just get a headunit with all the pre outs you could ever need!!

I swapped out cd4000 for a pioneer deh 7600. loads of sound settings and drives the standard Speakers well with no farting!

Now i just hookup me sub and boom goes yer focus.

This lot do good stuff and cheap too..

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units.html

I think ford do an 80watt upgrade for the Speakers but thats not enough methinks?, that'll be an option once i've killed these!!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Since no one else seems to know (or care),I measured my 2000 mk1 focus and was surprised to find that the distance from the metal door skin to the window glass was quite a reasonable 75mm,once youve added some sort of adaptor you're talking about 80 or 85mm.If youre fitting something bigger than 5 1/4 Speakers like 6.5's the adaptor has to sit outside the of the standard speaker position which will pushes the speaker outwards giving more depth but then the distance to the door panel may become an issue depending on your speaker front projection requirements.It will also require drilling of new fixing holes for your adaptors and possibly cutting of the door skin depending on your basket shape

On 2017-5-29 at 8:50 AM, excallibur said:

Since no one else seems to know (or care),I measured my 2000 mk1 focus and was surprised to find that the distance from the metal door skin to the window glass was quite a reasonable 75mm,once youve added some sort of adaptor you're talking about 80 or 85mm.If youre fitting something bigger than 5 1/4 speakers like 6.5's the adaptor has to sit outside the of the standard speaker position which will pushes the speaker outwards giving more depth but then the distance to the door panel may become an issue depending on your speaker front projection requirements.It will also require drilling of new fixing holes for your adaptors and possibly cutting of the door skin depending on your basket shape

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on bumping a 3 year old post to the top!

• Like 1