Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Systems Fault

johnH

Well would you believe today on the way to the garage to fit the new filters the car drove fine with no warning lights even when provoked?! So maybe the millers diesel stuff worked?...

The fuel and air filter were replaced. God knows the last time the fuel filter was done as it looked minging. The air filter was black on half of it, but I've seen worse. Anyway I thrashed the car home and the light didn't come on once. B)

good stuff pugboy...glad to hear it was simple as mine to fix. i do however now have 3 DTC logged due to the fuel filter.

a103

but since the light hasnt come on i have linked this to the fact the battery literally was killed by me trying to get it to turned over and changing the fuel filter...all sorted now.

as i say "Happy days"

Hopefully it remains that simple for you John, but even killing the battery may not be the cause of those messages I dont think. I killed mine, and because I was trying to roll start the car, I had errors coming up for PATS, Low Voltage, and one for the aerial.

well tbh my dad and his mate did try tow starting the car...so maybe the same thing

As long as new problems dont start to arise...!

anyways i decided to upload 2 pictures to show users what we are onna bout. one to show the old fuel filter and one to show the old air filter.

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

if you dont know what your looking at to see what the problem is, well both should be a clean yellow colour.

You dont turn the car over for ages to get it going after replacing the fuel filter. Its an electronic, low pressure pump (at that stage anyway then high pressure afterwards I believe) so it is primed when you turn the ignition on. So what you need to do is turn the ignition on and off lots of times to prime it. Once you have done that for ages it will hopefully start. Mine did need to be cranked a few times, but you have to prime it several times in between each try.

I must admit I haven't had the fault code reader on mine. I might do it next time I see my mate at the garage.

One other thing is that my car has always had a slight hesitation at 1800rpm (only noticeable on part throttle). This always seemed worse when using supermarket fuel. Anyway that has now gone. Not just that, but it has always struggled to pull 30mph in 4th gear. It now does that OK. This is quite a turnaround after owning the car for nearly 2 years!

As I said before though I'm not sure if thats the fuel additive or the new fuel filter....

aii, same here car feels alot better.

i followed advice of other forums in regards of starting the car, saying it needs to be cranked a few times. in the haynes it mentions nothing of ignition, just starting the car haha. oh well its all sorted now and ive done a few long runs to charge the battery back up to full.

as with the fault codes i didnt get the reader i just used the built in diag mode on most fords...its a stickied thread.

it could be a mix of both a new filter and additive that helped you but i'd sway towards the filter myself...from seeing how random that can give faults lol

• 3 weeks later...

Glad your all sorted, you know I really feel for you guy's running troublesome diesels ;) There again I dare say you must feel sorry for us petrol users with our crap mpg, and higher Road Tax :huh:

Now when you look back at this thread, the old mechanics advice rings true. In that, in the event of perceived fuelling or ignition problems. If the state of either the air or fuel filter on a car are unknown, change them. As it's a cheap low cost option, and even if it don't solve the problem, it wont do your car any harm, and can be ignored at the next service. Obviously plugs on petrol cars can just be whipped out for a clean up.

• 1 year later...

Definitely caused by fuel filter.

Just had this problem myself and the filter was stinking.

New filter put in with a service and 24 hours later the fault has cleared.

Error code was P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low.