Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Washed My Car Key Fob!

loulapoo

Hello,

I washed my key fob yesterday..through two washed as i didnt realise it was stuck in the lining..pooh!

Its has been on the radiator overnight but still wont work (at all). I can use the key within the fob to manualy unlock and open the car but am not sure if you can start it. I cant find anything on the dash aside from the push button.

Hope someone can help!

Just hold the fob up to where you would normally insert the key (if there was) it should have a blanking plate on it. Hold it there while you try and start the car normally.

Thanks for the reply sidge,

I have already tried this and no luck...think the fob is compleatly dead. Do you know if there is absolutely no manual key start on this car? Called local dealership and they can programme in another key but i need to get the car there fist.

If you go to page 89 on this link if shows you what can be done with the keyless fob. The fob needs to be in a certain position to get it work.

Manual Link

As far as I know there is no manual key start.

Have you changed the battery to just to check that?

Hello,

I washed my key fob yesterday..through two washed as i didnt realise it was stuck in the lining..pooh!

Its has been on the radiator overnight but still wont work (at all). I can use the key within the fob to manualy unlock and open the car but am not sure if you can start it. I cant find anything on the dash aside from the push button.

Hope someone can help!

hi

if you have keyless entry and push start you sould of had 2 fobs i got 2 with my titanium:(

You should have got 2 key fobs as already mentioned above. However if you only have one sounds like it is well goosed. But as you have nothing to loose at this point (other than an expensive getting a new key programmed option) you should try the following.

1. get a spare CR 2032 battery for the fob.

2. dismantel the key fob and remove the battery inside.

3. Leave the parts of the device for at least 24 hours or longer if you can at room temperature to dry out fully (you can use a hairdrier to speed things up but dont hold it too close to the device just let the airflow blow out soem of the moisture at a reasonable distamce).

4. After drying use a cotton bud or carefully a peice of cloth or tissue and gently clean all the battery contacts and connections between the 2 halves of the fob. (be gentle you don't want to damage/bend the terminals.

5. Insert the new battery and reassemble the key fob.

Bearing in mind what the key fob has been through it's a long shot but as i say above you have nothing to loose at this point.

• 8 years later...

Oops, I did too. The Fob to My Ford Focus Rental Car. The above helped me.

1) I opened the back and took the battery out

2) I carefully open the front of the fob and removed the rubber button cover, the plastic button caps, and the circuit board.(Take note of how these go back together!)

3) With everything lined up I used a hair dryer on the cool setting to dry everything(It took a while because I did not use heat)

4) I reassembled and put a new 2032 battery back in.

Everything worked after that.

Thanks for this Thread! It was the only car we had so we would have been in bad shape.

Moral of the story, "Check your pockets before doing laundry!'

And the award for the biggest post gap goes to....

[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 3