Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Filling Up With Fuel ; So Who Amongst You . . .

Nightowl

does the same as me?!?!

You pull into a garage for fuel - and thanks to modern design & technology - you no longer have to take the key out of the ignition to unlock the fuel filler cap . . . because it's a Mk.7 Fiesta - and that means one push of the flap and hey presto!, the flap simply pops open! No keys needed!

Well that's the theory anyway.

Now I must admit that as soon as I turn off the ignition at the filling station - I automatically remove the key from the ignition - exit the car - and pop my Titanium folding key into my pocket until returning to the vehicle having filled up. But surely . . . isn't one of the main advantages of owning a Mk.7 that you can simply leave the key in the ignition whilst filling up? It should be. But for some reason or other - I don't trust the key (or the electrics - or the car's system for that matter) from simply locking itself (and therefore the key) - leaving me trapped outside my locked car . . . with the spare key say 100 miles away back at home!!!

Now I KNOW you're not supposed to leave your key in the ignition for the sake of thieves etc etc etc, blah blah blah - but on an empty forecourt in the early hours of the morning and all that. . .

A few years ago my Dad bought a brand new Transit van for his company.. was filling up and it got stolen because he left the key in the ignition! Insurance wouldn't pay out either, they said it was his own fault for leaving the keys in the van. So I always lock my car as soon as I get out of it (you can still get in the fuel flap when the Mk7 is locked) then I know I'm safe :)

It was never a design thought that poeple would even consider doing that, its just a new deisgn that looks better, is cheaper to manufacture (not having to make a lock, simple jump in jump out switch), and you dont go scratching the cap for the lock.

I always take my keys with me. I also dont trust electronics as I get the feeling of locking keys inside. I did onece put keys in a boot by mistake and then close it (different car). Luckly I was not far from home where I had my spare one. Since then i alaways check pockets before closing a boot :)

Not so much anymore, but thats because my car doesn't have a key...

Keyless entry and all tha...

P.s I am aware there is a key within the fob or half key what ever you want to call it.

I also have keyless start but still have to make sure fob is not inside even i know it shouldnt lock it itself there :(

Its always been a habit to take the key out every time I get out of the car.

My daugters both have a Yaris each, and they have a flap release inside the car, which I think is a good idea, but they both take the keys out too

Never leave your keys inside, someone could nick it! (and drive pretty far too with a full tank!)

Pro Tip.. Never leave the keys of your Pride and Joy in the ignition when your outside the car filling up or paying up. As there are many people out there will quite happily take you up on your offer and drive away in your lovely pride and joy.

This has been drilled into me for awhile and its common sense really.

Key? Ignition?

What's all that about?

Just jump in, press Start and jobs a good 'un. When I get to where I'm going, press Stop and jobs another good 'un.

You would have to be a complete loon to leave your key in the ignition, anywhere, even an empty forecourt.

Bit of advice, people who plan on nicking cars by methods of jumping in and driving off with keys in the ignition, don't tend to make themselves noticeable, hence empty forecourt. ;)

You want to leave your keys in your ignition? it's not too difficult to remove them and put them back in when you're done.

Do you leave the engine running too?!

so you want to leave your keys in your pride and joy.tell that to your insurer. not a very smart owl!

Leaving your keys in the ignition = asking for car to get nicked. Then when it does get nicked try explaining that theory to your insurers....who dot end up paying out.

You want to leave your keys in your ignition? it's not too difficult to remove them and put them back in when you're done.

Do you leave the engine running too?!

Yep. I always leave the engine running whilst filling up - and I have a huge neon sign on the roof of my car saying "NICK ME - ENGINE RUNNING - KEY IN IGNITION".

You plum.

Now I KNOW you're not supposed to leave your key in the ignition for the sake of thieves etc etc etc, blah blah blah - but on an empty forecourt in the early hours of the morning and all that. . .

And that’s an ideal time to nick your car, no-one about , jump in while your paying and away down the quiet roads while there very little traffic to get held up in

Which garage did you say you use? :)

The moment I get out of the car and shut the door I lock it; just while you're stood there filling up someone walking past could easily open the drivers door and nick stuff from inside even if they don't nick the whole car! Let alone while going in the shop to pay (unless you have the privilege of pay at pump everywhere?).

Even if I was filling up my car in a quiet village solely occupied by Nuns at 4am I would still lock the doors as soon as I got out.

But that's just because I don't trust nuns.

Do you trust ninjas? They'd nick your car silently (probably by pushing it).

Drive in

Key out

Open fuel cap

Yeaaa... that right I've locked my car and I'm still refuelling my car. How cool am I :lol:

Do you trust ninjas?

Ninjas are trustworthy folk... it's those Nuns that you've got to be wary of.

Yep. I always leave the engine running whilst filling up - and I have a huge neon sign on the roof of my car saying "NICK ME - ENGINE RUNNING - KEY IN IGNITION".

You plum.

all it takes is a flick of the wrist and the ignition is on and car away. leaving you standing there with a nozzle in your hand squirting juice on the forecourt. leaving you looking a lot like a plum :)

fuel cap on passengerside too, you'd be truly powerless.

You still doin this after the rimming you're getting in this thread?

Drive in

Key out

Open fuel cap

+1

IMHO considering how easy it is to lock the car versus the hassle of having it nicked, it's not worth taking the risk.

Now I must admit that as soon as I turn off the ignition at the filling station - I automatically remove the key from the ignition - exit the car - and pop my Titanium folding key into my pocket until returning to the vehicle having filled up. But surely . . . isn't one of the main advantages of owning a Mk.7 that you can simply leave the key in the ignition whilst filling up? It should be. But for some reason or other - I don't trust the key (or the electrics - or the car's system for that matter) from simply locking itself (and therefore the key) - leaving me trapped outside my locked car . . . with the spare key say 100 miles away back at home!!!

Your first line of that paragraph make's the rest of it make no sense, why do you think it is a good idea to leave your key in the ignition if you don't trust the car's electric's, therefore why did you buy the Fiesta, do you think Ford designed it to help make refuelling easier with or so you can leave your key in the ignition :rolleyes:. I often leave my non folding Zetec key ;) in the ignition when i'm putting shopping or thing's in the boot as i don't need it to open the boot, bottom line is never leave thieving scum any chance of nicking anything

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club