Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ipod Nano Not Working In My New Fiesta

bobdukes

I just bought a 2011 Fiesta SE. No sync option. When I connect my iPod Nano to the Aux jack on the center console with a cable that works with my friend's iPhone, I get so much static I can't hear recordings. I can hear my Nano fine using headphones, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the Nano. Doesn't seem to be the cable because it works with my friend's iPhone. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Update 2/8/11: Turns out I own an iPod Shuffle, not a Nano.

I'm not familiar with the US spec Fiesta, but first thing I'd check is if your iPod is comparable with your in car audio unit. Certain iPod models do not work, mostly older variants, so if it's an older iPod nano it might not work? Other than that I'm not sure sorry. Perhaps a US Fiesta forum might help, as you guys got some major changes and Ford SYNC on some models. Oh how I'd love SYNC...

I'm not familiar with the US spec Fiesta, but first thing I'd check is if your iPod is comparable with your in car audio unit. Certain iPod models do not work, mostly older variants, so if it's an older iPod nano it might not work? Other than that I'm not sure sorry. Perhaps a US Fiesta forum might help, as you guys got some major changes and Ford SYNC on some models. Oh how I'd love SYNC...

Thanks Danny. It may be a compatibility problem, but not because my Nano is older. It's only a few months old. I haven't seen anything yet on other forums. Some day you'll have that sync :D .

Might need some help here as your US spec might be different to our own.

Are you using teh AUX intput, which is jsut a headphone jack to headphone jack to play it thru?

Or do you have teh combined USB connection with the connection described above?

I have the same issue and have found no solution as of yet.

Using my iPhone 4 and my partners iPhone 3GS and older Nano (the small square one) it sounds perfect - but when I connect my Nano (the last one with a click wheel, about 6 mo old) I get a lot of hiss and can only hear music on full volume (on the Fiesta) which just makes everything distort...

Just a few things but make sure the volumne on the iWhatever device is set to full and that the EQ on it is turned off as well, as this messes up the AUX output.

Might need some help here as your US spec might be different to our own.

Are you using teh AUX intput, which is jsut a headphone jack to headphone jack to play it thru?

Or do you have teh combined USB connection with the connection described above?

Hi Strutter,

I'm using the AUX input with standard headphone jack on both ends of the cable. No USB connection.

Bob

I have the same issue and have found no solution as of yet.

Using my iPhone 4 and my partners iPhone 3GS and older Nano (the small square one) it sounds perfect - but when I connect my Nano (the last one with a click wheel, about 6 mo old) I get a lot of hiss and can only hear music on full volume (on the Fiesta) which just makes everything distort...

Hi Maffoo,

Sounds like you're having the exact same experience that I'm having: loud static hiss and barely audible recorded sound at full volume. I have to admit it's a little reassuring that I'm not the only one with this problem, but I'll feel a whole lot better when we come up with a solution.

Bob

Just a few things but make sure the volumne on the iWhatever device is set to full and that the EQ on it is turned off as well, as this messes up the AUX output.

I've tried the iPod Nano set to full, as you suggest. I'm not familiar with an EQ on this iPod Nano model.

Guys experiencing issues with the click wheel iPod nano, I read somewhere a week or so ago Apple had to do a quick revision to an update after releasing a software upgrade that made the audio terrible when using the auxiliary function with certain devices. Sorry i don't have the link anymore, it only just clicked to me then when I remembered this thread!

Again, this was on the click wheel iPod nano, so about a year or so ago i think Apple did the revised update. If you don't already have the latest software, connect to iTunes and update :)

Thanks Danny. I thought I had the most recent version of the software for my relatively new click wheel iPod Nano, but I'll look into making sure it's up to date. It'll be great when I can use my iPod with my new Fiesta's sound system auxiliary function.

Bob

I'm not sure it matters, and I feel a little silly about this, but it seems the iPod I have is a Shuffle, not a Nano. Not sure why I've been thinking all this time it's a Nano. I spoke to someone at Apple tech support who suggested I test other Shuffles on my Fiesta. He also suggested testing my Shuffle on some other Fiesta's at the dealer. This seems like a good idea. Someone at the dealership I just spoke with suggested maybe the Shuffle doesn't have the power necessary to function with the Fiesta sound system. That sounds like a plausible explanation. If I find out anything, I'll post it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Bob

That's it. Just plugged in my second gen iPod nano (holy hell this is bigger than my new iPod nano!) and it doesn't do anything when I plug the aux cord in. See if you can get someone who has a current iPod shuffle, or upgrade to a nano, upto you, and just try them and if it works get one. The new iPod shuffle costs pennies. Hopefully it'll start working for you soon!!!!

That's it. Just plugged in my second gen iPod nano (holy hell this is bigger than my new iPod nano!) and it doesn't do anything when I plug the aux cord in. See if you can get someone who has a current iPod shuffle, or upgrade to a nano, upto you, and just try them and if it works get one. The new iPod shuffle costs pennies. Hopefully it'll start working for you soon!!!!

I do have the most recent version of the Shuffle.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with my 2009 Fiesta Zetec. I have 6th Generation Ipod Nano (latest Nano) and the hissing interference noise is unbearable (annoying). Ford have replaced the aux socket (under warranty) but no improvement whatsoever. We have tried all scenario's.

*Tried my nano on a similar model fiesta at the Ford Dealership and it worked ok.

*Ford technician tried his iPhone on our Fiesta with no problems.

*Tried my daughters similar nano on our fiesta and still the same problem.

Ford have tried to place the problem on Apple which is not an option as my nano worked on another fiesta. Ford have told me to buy a Y Lead from them but that wont work as it has a similar lead to what I have with an additional USB port which I cannot use.

I really hope someone else has had similar problems as I need a resolution ASAP. I will be taking the car back to Ford for a fourth time now.

Please help!!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2011 Fiesta SE. No sync option. When I connect my iPod Nano to the Aux jack on the center console with a cable that works with my friend's iPhone, I get so much static I can't hear recordings. I can hear my Nano fine using headphones, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the Nano. Doesn't seem to be the cable because it works with my friend's iPhone. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Update 2/8/11: Turns out I own an iPod Shuffle, not a Nano.

Eureka!!! My iPod shuffle is now working in my Fiesta. No modifications to the Shuffle or Fiesta were needed.

I took my Shuffle to a Ford dealer and tried it in another Fiesta and it worked. Then we went out to my Fiesta and it worked. I was baffled, but happy it was working. After the Ford technician went back to the showroom, when I turned my Shuffle back on it had the same annoying hissing sound that was the problem all along.

After a moment of panic I became amused by the situation and proceeded to try and determine what was causing the problem.

It seems there's a default volume setting on my Shuffle each time I turn it on. No matter how loud the volume was set when I last turned off the Shuffle, when I turn it on the volume on the Shuffle (not the Fiesta sound system) appears to be lower. Somehow this lower volume on the Shuffle is what's responsible for the static I've been experiencing. As I increase the volume on the Shuffle the static eventually disappears. Then I adjust the sound system volume according to my preference.

If your iPod is like mine, this could be the answer to your problem. Remember that each time you turn on your iPod you may need to increase the iPod volume to get rid of the static.

I hope this helps someone else. If you have this problem you know how frustrating it is not to be able to use your iPod with your Fiesta sound system.

Good Luck,

Bob

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club