Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting 'ford Power' Start Button In Fiesta Mk7

Ben...

A short guide to show you how to fit the 'Ford Power' push start button to a 2008- Ford Fiesta (Mk7)

*This will not replace your key

It will only work when the key is turned to stage 2

What you will need:

Push Start Button - 1459645

Push Start Plastic Bezel - 1574152

Push Start Aluminium Look Bezel - 1667755

12V 30Amp Relay

Soldering Iron & Solder

Red & Black 5Amp Wire

10A Fuse & Holder

Wire Strippers/Crimps

Pliers

Spade Connectors To Suit Relay

Torx Driver

Decide where you would like the button to be positioned

First position I had it

15383f43.jpg

Then I moved it to here

(Pretty hard to cut, BE WARNED!)

0873d563.jpg

First I removed the stereo

Pull up screen surround from the front

04d3be9f.jpg

Unscrew 2 T25 Torx screws and 2 hex bolts using a 7mm socket

f6447336.jpg

Remove 'secret compartment' and then pull stereo out and upwards

b0dd0880.jpg

Remove steering shroud

Undo 3 T25 Torx screws

added8d1.jpg

b1db070b.jpg

• Like 2

c1df70ef.jpg

Pull bottom section downwards

74e5688d.jpg

You will then be able to see the ignition loom

Unplug this

5bd74ad2.jpg

The wires you will need are the purple/green wire and the blue/white wire

The purple/green wire is live when the key is turned to stage 2 (ignition live)

The blue/white wire is live when cranking the key to start (starter motor)

f5fa9be6.jpg

Use this diagram to wire your switch up

0452692c.jpg

I sawed the excess plastic off the bottom of the switch so was able to access the pins easier

I then bent the pins outwards so they were further away from each other

I soldered wires to the appropriate pins and then insulated using heatshrink

I then connected up the relay using spade connectors

I also used a 10A fuse (you may be able to see this in the background)

a0e8ac26.jpg

6683da07.jpg

I connected the wires to the ignition like this as i didn't want to cut any wires or splice in to them

(I know its not ideal)

de5dfadb.jpg

And the award for the most pointless mod goes to...

:lol: agreed. Seems a bit pointless to me, why have the button when you still need to turn the key? Much easier and quicker just to keep the key i'd say.

Its not as slick at the official Ford keyless system is it...But then it does cost £400+. In my Titanium, just need to press the clutch down, then push the button, Engine starts and im off.

Be intersting to see what Ford say if you ever have a fault with your car....

You can still use the key.. i did it purely for aesthetic reasons

I thought it would look good and i think it has come out well

You could say any modification is pointless.. matter of opinion

My opinion is that it is ridiculous to comment if your scared to touch your car because of the warranty

I only made the guide for the benefit of people that were interested

• Like 1

You can still use the key.. i did it purely for aesthetic reasons

I thought it would look good and i think it has come out well

You can't see it though, it's hidden away down below the gearstick.

You could say any modification is pointless.. matter of opinion

Modification that make life harder are pretty pointless. Not all mods make life harder.

My opinion is that it is ridiculous to comment if your scared to touch your car because of the warranty

I don't think that's the point, if you had modded the car that would have been worthwhile, then nobody would have commented negatively. It's a pointless mod that could affect your warranty. But, it's your car, your money, your choice. But it's also a forum, so you are going to get feedback one way or the other.

I only made the guide for the benefit of people that were interested

Which is fine, it's still there.

Its perfectly visible when in the front of the car, especially at night when the LED is more clear

All mods make life harder.. they cost money and you have to fit them.. but if you enjoy then it doesn't bother you

Well it is the point.. i enjoy reading feedback, but when its coming from people who have done nothing to their cars because all they're worried about is the warranty then it's irrelevant

Why bother posting negatively if it doesn't interest you

If you had something positive to say as well then i wouldn't mind

But..

And the award for the most pointless mod goes to...

Necessary?

Ben i think you have doon very good job with this guide. Its clear and it looks like you have put quite a lot of work in it.

can i explain why i dont think it is pointless, i have the TDCI and as you are probably aware it needs to be kept for a few seconds at ignition before starting for glow plugs, so i turn the key to ignition put my seat belt on then start the engine, although i haven't added my button to my new car had it in my old mk 6.5 and used it for the above purpose. Thank you for the guide it is VERY helpful although i dont understand why you need the relay as i didn't on the mk 6.5 but im still gonna use your guide don't fancy breaking her.

Ant.

• Like 1

can i explain why i dont think it is pointless, i have the TDCI and as you are probably aware it needs to be kept for a few seconds at ignition before starting for glow plugs, so i turn the key to ignition put my seat belt on then start the engine, although i haven't added my button to my new car had it in my old mk 6.5 and used it for the above purpose. Thank you for the guide it is VERY helpful although i dont understand why you need the relay as i didn't on the mk 6.5 but im still gonna use your guide don't fancy breaking her.

Ant.

Modern diesels do not require the whole glow plug starting thing. On a modern diesel they are there for emissions. Thats also why youll find you do not have the glow plug light on the dash

do you have any shots of you removing the centre Handbrake trim, scared of breaking any clips.

No sorry

To start with i removed the gear stick surround

This has 6 clips on, 3 on each side, pull upwards, start from the edge closest to the FRONT of the car

You have to use some force

Then the bit surrounding the handbrake is in 2 separate pieces

Pull apwards from the very back on the console, by the rear footwell

Then these 2 pieces will come off together quite easily

Ant.

I had it in my mk6 pre facelift and didn't need the relay in that

I used a relay because Pin 1 (-ve) and Pin 6 (+ve) are for the LED

Pin 3 & Pin 4 complete a circuit when the switch is pressed

I was wiring the switch up like this but it just shorted out

I then found out that Pin 1 and Pin 3 complete a circuit when the switch is pressed

So because Pin 1 was used as the earth for the LED i needed this to complete the circuit with the ignition live and the starter motor as well

So to make that possible i used the switch to complete the circuit for the relay so i could make a separate circuit with the ignition live and starter motor

I'm not sure that makes sense but i know what i mean lol

If you look at the circuit diagram it will be easier to understand lol

Modern diesels do not require the whole glow plug starting thing. On a modern diesel they are there for emissions. Thats also why youll find you do not have the glow plug light on the dash

But our cars do have the glow plug light on the dash and the maual says to wait until it goes out before starting the engine?

Good work Ben!

FordPartsMan iNath is correct hence me saying it, i find them not needed in summer although they seem to take longer to go out in the winter, but you really should be waiting a few seconds for your lights on dash to go out (incl glow plugs) before you start your engine anyway whether it be petrol or diesel. Ben that makes sense thanks for the clarification.

Ant

On the subject of starting, does anyone without the power start button actually depress the clutch when turning the key? The handbook says you should but I barely remember to!

Ye but out of habit now

Had too many of my mates putting my old car in to gear if i wasn't looking or was out the car lol

Considering this guy has took alot of time to make a picture by picture log of how to do this for any people interested, i find it quite foul that the first few posts SLATED this guy for doing this mod to his car, which he is clearly very happy with.

This is meant to be a helpful forum and this guy has posted this to be just that, so by taking the P*** out of supposed "fellow fiesta enthusiasts" ppftt is beyond me.

Great job, its aftermarket so its obviously not going to do what the £400 option would cost, or everyone would be doing it. Good work fella !

• Like 2

Agree with the Liverpool Chappy, its a nice mod and something i'd consider given the time!

On the subject of depressing the clutch, I do it in every car I'm in. It's just one of those things you force yourself to do I guess? I'm usually quite absent minded so learning that stops me looking like a wazzaock when I leave it in gear the odd time and the car jumps forward on startup :lol:

realy nice mod, i wont do it myself for 2 reasons really, firstly the position is more or less on the passanger side and id rather not have to reach down there to start the car, and the 2nd is that it wont turn the engine off :( Credit to you for the mod though, would love to see more!